Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        John Carmack on Joe Rogan tomorrow...

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: John Carmack on Joe Rogan tomorrow...

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 08-27-2019 07:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 08-27-2019 11:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I still can't believe he's now just an Facebook employee. That Masters of Doom book, that basically chronicles id's demise, was a depressing read.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 08-28-2019 04:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey this is pretty cool. Maybe he has an announcement to make that doesn’t include Facebook.

Also, I didn’t know Geoffrey was a Rogan fan...

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 08-28-2019 06:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Carmack works for Facebook? :puke:

Well he had an impressive run. 20+ years? I think that is pretty good by any metric. Might check out the interview, Rogan cracks me up

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-28-2019 07:41 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

He works for Oculus, which is owned by Facebook.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 08-28-2019 11:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I suggest watching the Rogan episode with Bob Lazar... Good stuff...

The fuct one!
The fuct one!
PostPosted: 08-28-2019 11:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
He works for Oculus, which is owned by Facebook.

:up:

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 08-28-2019 05:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 08-28-2019 06:44 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Should have had him on for episode 1337...

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 08-28-2019 10:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Did not realize Facebook owned Oculus. I knew he was in with Oculus, after the rocket ship phase ended.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 08-28-2019 11:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've only listened to a bit so far, and I've already learned he doesn't think quantum computing is going to be as big as people think, and artificial general intelligence may be as close as a decade away. :dts:

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 08-29-2019 01:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I watched the entire thing. Damn that man can talk. Made me feel even more stupid. Plus he switches effortlessly between tuning super-cars, building rockets, VR, game engines and what not. What a genius.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 08-29-2019 06:45 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I love Joe’s passion for Quake and knowing that he was way into it at the same time we were all way into it. It’s entirely possible that we played against Joe at some point...

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 08-29-2019 08:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Back in the 90's, Joe had a T1 line installed in his house just to play quake...I still crushed him on my ISDN...

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 08-29-2019 08:41 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No you didn’t...

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 08-29-2019 10:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
I love Joe’s passion for Quake and knowing that he was way into it at the same time we were all way into it. It’s entirely possible that we played against Joe at some point...

And Emilio Estevez :smirk:

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 08-29-2019 12:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:
And Emilio Estevez :smirk:

Seriously?

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 08-29-2019 02:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Infernis wrote:
I watched the entire thing. Damn that man can talk. Made me feel even more stupid. Plus he switches effortlessly between tuning super-cars, building rockets, VR, game engines and what not. What a genius.

25min in and love it

smoke some weed next time before watching :up:

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 08-29-2019 10:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

LOL at the look on Rogan's face as Carmack explains what probability density functions and quantum tunneling are. He just did one with Penn Gillette, too, can't wait to check that out next. :up:

SoM wrote:

:tomato:

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 08-29-2019 11:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SoM wrote:
Infernis wrote:

25min in and love it

Dude, then I'm not following anything expect for the occasional...

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 08-30-2019 01:23 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I love Carmack’s voice and how dorky he sounds. He even has that signature geeky inflection at the end of his sentences.

I was bummed to hear he doesn’t put much stock in the Omni-directional treadmill for VR. I think that would be so cool in FPS games...

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 08-30-2019 01:56 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Also, when Carmack is talking about the hopping car...”Someone should do that. That’s something the world needs to see...”

:olo:

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 09-01-2019 06:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
I was bummed to hear he doesn’t put much stock in the Omni-directional treadmill for VR. I think that would be so cool in FPS games...

Sounds expensive and would only benefit a certain subset of games. The disconnect between moving on an omni-directional treadmill and the speed in which video game players can move would be problematic. You wouldn't be playing Quake on them, you would be perhaps more restricted to playing a combat simulator like ARMA. I think the warehouse VR gaming facility might be more interesting, kind of like a VR laser tag experience.

Linux Version
Linux Version
PostPosted: 09-30-2019 07:50 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
xer0s wrote:

Sounds expensive and would only benefit a certain subset of games. The disconnect between moving on an omni-directional treadmill and the speed in which video game players can move would be problematic. You wouldn't be playing Quake on them, you would be perhaps more restricted to playing a combat simulator like ARMA. I think the warehouse VR gaming facility might be more interesting, kind of like a VR laser tag experience.

Beat Saber played on an Oculus Quest looks pretty fun like that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hnMoJFh4z0

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 10-03-2019 08:56 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've played VR games using a controller and it works great. I had no issues playing that way but I will say that although I thought I was a hardcore gamer and that VR wouldn't phase me in terms of nauseousness I can honestly say that isn't the case. After about 30 minutes of playing Moss I felt sick as fuck. It's a shame though cause it's only the best gaming experience I've had yet. I played battlefront 2 in an xwing fighter, cool as fuck and Moss which blew me away by what can be done for platforming games in VR.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.