Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The last movie you saw

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: The last movie you saw

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-06-2018 12:20 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Netflix, Whiskey. It's this newfangled way of watching movies and TV series through something called "The Internet" :p

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 02-06-2018 12:37 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
the Italian was a grizzled, unshaven man.

Wait, wot?
Are you on about Mundy, the Irish guy? You know, Chris O'Dowd, better known as Roy from The IT Crowd?

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 02-06-2018 01:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Netflix, Whiskey. It's this newfangled way of watching movies and TV series through something called "The Internet" :p

Oh, my bad as I see I misread the text " ... still nice of NF to drop it on us.. " as still nice of NF to drop in on us :smirk: I thought 'NF' was a person. In vs it.

On a side note, I am considering a Netflix subscription when I get fibre to the building, then I should see my connection speed increase by a factor of 5 or more. I was staying with a friend recently and got a demo of the newfangled Netflix. It has possibilities :D

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 02-06-2018 01:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sorry, I forgot to add that I have never seen a 'Cloverfield' movie but they are now on my list :)

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 02-09-2018 03:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Blade Runner (1982)

I've had the Blu-Ray for years, still 'wrapped in plastic' so I opened and watched last night. I still find the imagery and detail astounding and was surprised to find it was made back in '82 :eek:

A classic.

The music still gives me goosebumps..

Now I remember Deckard and Rachael in a car driving off in an ending.... Ah, here is is in a 'deleted scenes/lost footage' video. Interesting. Jump to 41 seconds/watch to lot :)

Try this link to the video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xBKrz0wdsM&t=2145s

IMDB

PS. I found the Cloverfield movies so just need to find the time to watch 'em :smirk:

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 02-11-2018 07:45 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Blade Runner 2049 - 9/10

Exceptional film. I don't have enough time to eulogise about it at the moment, but soon....

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 02-11-2018 10:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Blade Runner 2049 - not-100%-sure-yet/10

visually it's stunning, and the camerawork is top drawer. music echoes the 1982 movie's without just copying. from a craft POV, it stands with the original

not sure what mark out of 10 i'd give it though. need to see if it's still stays with me for a while afterwards.

plus there was something very predictable about the plot. you just knew that as soon as K actually learned that his memory was real some shit would break out, and sure enough... :/

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 02-18-2018 03:28 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Black Panther - 6.5/10

Stand back from the cultural hype train and what you have is a slightly underwhelming super hero film.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-19-2018 01:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

At the risk of sounding a lot like Memphis, I've heard multiple people say that with the release of Black Panther, there's finally a superhero black kids can look up to too and have as their role model.

My question is, why can't Spiderman be a role model for a black kid? Why can't Superman be a role model for a black kid? Why can't Iron Man be a role model for a black kid?
Because of the color of their skins? Excuse me? Isn't that racism pur sang?

Look, I get that it's a good thing to have black actors and black characters (or from any racial background) be on par with their white counterparts, but let's not act like a white kid is unable or not allowed to thing Spiderman is cool just because Spiderman isn't black.

Besides, now that there's a black superhero, he dresses up like some bushman from central Africa. That's not a stereotype, eh?

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 02-19-2018 02:44 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
At the risk of sounding a lot like Memphis, I've heard multiple people say that with the release of Black Panther, there's finally a superhero black kids can look up to too and have as their role model.

My question is, why can't Spiderman be a role model for a black kid? Why can't Superman be a role model for a black kid? Why can't Iron Man be a role model for a black kid?

Look, I get that it's a good thing to have black actors and black characters (or from any racial background) be on par with their white counterparts, but let's not act like a white kid is unable or not allowed to thing Spiderman is cool just because Spiderman isn't black.

Besides, now that there's a black superhero, he dresses up like some bushman from central Africa. That's not a stereotype, eh?

It's an odd one, and I kind of get where they are coming from. Spiderman is an interesting one as the hero himself is masked, so therefore should appeal to everyone. But as soon as the mask comes off, the person isn't what a black kid see's in the mirror. Its just another white bloke saving the world. Kids of all colours want to see themselves represented fairly along side Iron Man and Spiderman.

You could argue that the press have completely missed/forgotten about Spawn, Hancock and Blade as black super heroes. But those films are not on the same level as the new Marvel films, especially Spawn.

I am going to do a second score based on taking everything into account, including how culturally and politically driven the film is. Take into consideration what the film is trying to achieve I would move the score to 8.5/10, and here is why.

Some spoilers ahead, but nothing major.

First and foremost, the film is a celebration of tradition when it comes to Africa/African Americans. The fact it's set in Africa and uses African dialect at times is wonderful. It's colourful and I would imagine (though I don't know for certain) it borrows from other traditions and customs when it comes to the events that unfold.

The story of Wakanda itself is interesting; a nation with a huge amount of technology that has been deriven from Vibranium, a mystical metal that is fond in Wakanda after a meteor falls. Worried about it being stolen (See all of Africa), Wakanda seals itself away from the outside world and paints itself as a poor, third world country with little going for it. But they do not accept aid from other countries and refuse to be "helped". There is some needle towards the present day in some of the conversations that are had; "Wise men build bridges, fools build barriers" which to me is a clear reference to Trump and his wall. There are a few others that I can't divulge due to them as they might be a little spoilery for this. But all of these things are being said while the true nature of the country is totally at odds with those words. In one scene somebody says "There are 2 billion people on this planet that look like us and what have you done to help them? Where were you when we were being persecuted throughout the ages" or some words to that affect. It's a moment in the film that made me sit down and think; were those words aimed at the people of Wakanda or the people of the world in general? One of the bad guys is South African, which must be a nod to the whole apartheid regime that was prevalent in South Africa until quite recently. There are loads of bits I could go into but I won't as I don't want to spoil the film for everyone by dissecting it and giving away too much.

Anyway, after watching and reflecting on the wider issues it tries to bring to the fore, I have to say I can see why people are saying its brilliant; because it kind of is. It gives you enough information to make you think while still being a marvel film. It's a difficult balancing act and they have done it very well indeed.

But as I have said earlier, strip away the cultural and political notions and you are left with a very average super hero film with some suspect visual effects and a poor sound track.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-19-2018 02:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
It's an odd one, and I kind of get where they are coming from. Spiderman is an interesting one as the hero himself is masked, so therefore should appeal to everyone. But as soon as the mask comes off, the person isn't what a black kid see's in the mirror. Its just another white bloke saving the world.

Maybe I want to go too fast in this. But the idea that a black kid can't identify himself with a white superhero because of skin color is probably exactly the root of the problem here. What I should've said is that having a black superhero isn't a goal in itself. The problem isn't solved, it's just a remedy for a symptom of the problem. It's a step needed working towards the ultimate goal. A world where, indeed, a black kid can see a white superhero and see beyond skincolor and think "yeah, that's gonna be me".

I'm not sure how deep this cultural "segregation" goes though. I guess it differs where you're coming from. When I was a kid, I thought Benjamin Sisko was an awesome captain, who would beat Jean-Luc Picards ass any day. I thought Jules Winnfield (Samuel L Jackson in Pulp Fiction) was a fantastic character. Morpheus in The Matrix seemed to me like the guy that just knew a little more than everyone else. I thought he was cool and I was taken by his air of mystery. Jeez, even the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air seemed like someone way cooler than me (though I more identified with Carlton though, being this horrible nerd myself ;)). If I, as a pasty white kid can be inspired by black characters, shouldn't it be normal if it worked the other way around as well?
Oh yeah, I get it, that's my white privilege again.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-19-2018 07:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Predator 2

It was good. Having seen it several times over the years; what stood out the most was the quality of the pacing and the sound effects.

8/10 :)

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 02-19-2018 10:14 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:

I've seen quite a few people say this too and all its done it made me wonder if the hype is actually because its good or if its just some sort of viral marketing initiative. If you cant speak to the qualities of the movie without yelling "See Hollywood, proof that people want a superhero who is (insert ethnicity here)" maybe it isnt that good.

But then I also wonder If this makes me roll my eyes because I've never had to think twice about not seeing someone who looks like me in a particular movie. Maybe we should let them have this moment and just go see it for ourselves.

Don makes some good points also.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-19-2018 12:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You know it's not a Hollywood invention, it's an old comic? Also: War Machine.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 02-19-2018 01:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

shaft wrote:
But then I also wonder If this makes me roll my eyes because I've never had to think twice about not seeing someone who looks like me in a particular movie.

another thing about this movie is the apparent amnesia it causes in people. i'm sure you've seen and enjoyed plenty of movies and TV shows where the protagonists (or at least half of them) didn't 'look like you' - you've just forgotten them thanks to the Black Panther hype reality distortion field

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 02-19-2018 04:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:

Because it's easier to bitch and moan rather than use your imagination or make something of yourself.

All my childhood heroes were European hockey players, and last I checked, neither of them looked Persian.

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 02-19-2018 11:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My hero growing up was an RAF bomber pilot with a black Labrador called [LOL RACISM] :up:

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 02-20-2018 03:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:

It's not that spiderman isn't a role model to black kids, it's the complaint that there is little representation of black superheroes. Kids of colour notice that thing. Surely you don't want a message that black people can't be role models too?

If Marvel suddenly made movies pretty much only about black people heroes would you take that as a message being a white person?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-20-2018 07:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

HM-PuFFNSTuFF wrote:
It's not that spiderman isn't a role model to black kids, it's the complaint that there is little representation of black superheroes.

I get that, but (among others), the chairwoman on the news here pretty much literally said that Black Panther is revolutionary because it's the first time black kids have a role model in the form of a superhero. There's a subtle difference between that and what you're saying.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 02-20-2018 07:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

it's also factually untrue.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-20-2018 09:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's entirely true. Just like Wonderwoman being the first strong female lead.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 02-20-2018 09:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

*childrens, male lead black superhero in the MCU, IF you discount human torch in the F4 reboot is the accurate phrase, I think ?. Wonder Women just isn't accurate.

There's been black super heroes and super hero leads in the MCU, for children n all. Outside the MCU the list is a lot bigger, I think this film just capitilised on it.

Next up, the 1st half cast asian transexual lead in the Stargate spinoff cinematic universe.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 02-26-2018 07:50 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Watched Mute last night without reading any reviews on the web first, and really enjoyed it.
Then today I see critics on giving it a pasting, pretty much universally.

I sometimes wonder if critics these days are a bit dim and not getting the gist. But maybe I just have bad taste. Fuck knows.

I thought it was an interesting exploration of technical limitation in an overtly techi-fied world, with a tragic and human story grounding the whole thing. Granted, maybe not the sci-fi epic people were expecting, and it certainly didn't bring much to the table in regards interesting sci-fi ideas. But I suspect that wasn't the aim.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 02-26-2018 07:53 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

it's also cool to hate on netflix productions, as they are not recognised as 'real cinema'.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 02-26-2018 08:02 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, I suspect there's some high-level industry fear about Netflix stealing cinema seats, so that wouldn't surprise me.

Personally, I much prefer being able to watch stuff in the comfort of my living room rather than having to schlepp along to the cinema for an over-priced ticket, and potentially have the movie ruined by Joe / Josephine Public.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 02-26-2018 10:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

They get their fair share of criticism ?

I've not seen Mute yet but the likes of Bright and Cloverfield got critcised and rightly so imo, even though I enjoyed both as popcorn flicks but things like Stranger Things and Altered Carbon are getting rightly praised ?.

I wouldn't say it's cool to hate on Netflix, it's just Netflix is rushing a lot of projects out. I like it though cos they seem to be willing to take risks.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-26-2018 11:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:
Personally, I much prefer being able to watch stuff in the comfort of my living room rather than having to schlepp along to the cinema for an over-priced ticket, and potentially have the movie ruined by Joe / Josephine Public.

Going to the cinema used to be a great night out with my friends but jesus, does it feel like a chore these days. I'm suspecting that's mostly down to me getting older rather than cinemas having changed though (although the whole 3D fad isn't helping)

meh...
meh...
PostPosted: 02-26-2018 12:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If it's critically panned, it can still be fun to watch!

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 02-26-2018 02:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Mat Linnett wrote:

Going to the cinema used to be a great night out with my friends but jesus, does it feel like a chore these days. I'm suspecting that's mostly down to me getting older rather than cinemas having changed though (although the whole 3D fad isn't helping)

i know that feel. a ridiculous ticket price for an uncomfortable seat behind some fucking unit with a massive gramps-sized head, munching on over-priced shitty food, watching 20 minutes of advertising followed by something that turns out not be nearly as good as the trailer suggested

fuck. that. noise.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 02-27-2018 01:13 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Coco. Took the kids but really enjoyed it. 7/10.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 02-27-2018 07:38 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I watched Coco a few nights ago. Pretty good and I definitely didn't cry.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 03-12-2018 02:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Woohoo, Annihilation's up on Netflix.
I helped out the editor of that, and am keen to see the whole thing. Not sure my TV will do the audio justice, as it sounded fantastic in the edit suite.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 03-15-2018 10:53 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just watched it. Great scifi.

Not sure how to describe it. Felt a lot like Stalker meets Arrival?

Worth checking out.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2798920/

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 03-15-2018 11:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:
Woohoo, Annihilation's up on Netflix.
I helped out the editor of that, and am keen to see the whole thing. Not sure my TV will do the audio justice, as it sounded fantastic in the edit suite.

:eek: :up: Interesting and a must view for me so the hunt is on, wait ... I really thought I saw the trailer at the movies, seems months ago... Checked and it is ONLY via NETFLIX here... Guess I'll shop elsewhere :smirk:

Quote:
Dec 7, 2017 - Sci-fi Drama Annihilation Goes Straight to Netflix Outside of US, Canada, and China. ...

Source

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 03-16-2018 01:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's a great adaptation, to be sure. It doesn't try to recreate the entire narrative of the books, but rather concentrates on getting across the creeping cosmic horror of the overarching story. In that, it's very successful.

I highly recommend reading the books if you haven't done so already. This isn't a case of the books spoiling the movie or vice versa. Rather that they both share a distinct feel and complement eachother nicely.

It was really cool to see scenes I'd watched in the edit suite with placeholder effects fully realised.
The bit with the deer? In the edit, they're crudely drawn, non-animated 2D sprites that bounce off screen rather comically :D

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.