Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Currently watching..... on the TV

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Currently watching..... on the TV

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 11-09-2019 12:27 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

1) Don't think so. They have a separate filter for 4k content and while it does show some older (remastered? Aladdin cartoon for instance) content it doesn't show every Marvel movie. Not sure if they upscale regardless. Oldest Marvel film that shows up in that category is Captain America.

2) They don't mention Vision specifically but they do tag content with HDR10. Not sure if they lump it together or if they simply opted to go for hdr10 over vision because licensing.

3) Pretty much all old cartoons are on there, both Disney and Marvel. It has the 1979 Spiderwoman show that surprised me. Random viewings showed them all to be crisp and clear.

4) Who Framed Roger Rabbit which I guess is technically Disney. Also a lot of NatGeo nature shows. Also also apparently there's a "live action" remake of Lady and the Tramp that's specifically made for streaming I guess?
All Marvel Saturday morning cartoons which I forgot all about. The speed at which they release feature films, ie Capt Marvel and Endwar is already on there.

The bad. Their tagging is currently all over the place. For instance there are categories a la Netflix that show a lot of content but not all (like the 4k one) which makes you think some content isn't on there. Case in point, it shows Cars and Cars 3, and you explicitly have to search for Cars 2 for it to show. Also no Spiderman Homecoming or Far From Home :(

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 11-09-2019 01:01 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What about Spiderman and Friends?

That was my first introduction to Kraven the Hunter as a kid and I've wanted to see him in a film ever since. So to see him back in cartoon form would be excellent.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 11-09-2019 01:02 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

And thank you for the answers, good sir

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 11-09-2019 01:17 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Spiderman and Amazing Friends is on there.
It's only the live action Spideys that are missing :/

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 11-10-2019 01:50 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
Spiderman and Amazing Friends is on there.

:D :D :D

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 11-14-2019 01:28 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Inside Bills Brain

Brilliant 3 part documentary about Bill Gates; gives some good history about him and also takes a look at his philanthropic en devours, which is interesting to say the least.

Would recommend.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 11-14-2019 05:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Anyone hopped on the Disney+ train? I’m wondering if it’s worth it. I know Disney’s vault is pretty deep...

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 11-14-2019 05:59 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nope, fuck those guys.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 11-14-2019 07:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:rolleyes:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-14-2019 10:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I love how everyone is complaining about the fragmentation of streaming services, but then along comes Disney+ and suddenly people all over the world are creaming their pants.

The fuct one!
The fuct one!
PostPosted: 11-14-2019 11:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
Anyone hopped on the Disney+ train? I’m wondering if it’s worth it. I know Disney’s vault is pretty deep...

Paid for 3 years at 33% off by joining d23.com. The Mandalorian was pretty good. Looking forward to more episodes.

Don't think it's still available but I did this.

https://d23.com/special-disney-plus-offer-for-d23-expo-attendees/

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 11-14-2019 12:01 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
I love how everyone is complaining about the fragmentation of streaming services, but then along comes Disney+ and suddenly people all over the world are creaming their pants.

It would be great if cable services wised up and offered the service for free. It's not like they aren't making money from advertising. That said, yeah it's pretty shitty to see every single company that makes a show start up it's own subscription based service. I'm not paying for Netflix, Amazon, Disney+, Hulu, Sports network, Crave, HBO etc etc.... Like fuck off with that shit. The corporate fleecing of consumers pisses me off to no end. It's even worse on xbox, like oh, please pay us for xbox live, basically the fucking internet on top of the internet you already pay so you can pay us more to stream video over the internet. That's 3 times they get you just to watch tv and now they want me to pay for each studio that makes a movie? Fuck that.

Also if you're not from Canada your opinion on my obvious rant is irrelevant. Until you pay 120$ for basic internet services, no phone no cable you might get where I'm coming from. HBO used to be a ridiculous 80$ a month but I guess they wised up and now offer HBO content with CRAVE but you have to pay for crave which if I recall correctly is about 20$ a month and if you want the HBO shit you have to get Crave+ which is another 20$. If you want a phone plan with something like a paltry 3GB of data per month that's another 100$. It is absolutely ridiculous. It's so bad here telecoms had to lobby a company recently that publishes cell phone/internet data prices world wide and ranks them based on price to remove Canada from that list.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-14-2019 01:09 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cable TV, landline telephone and 250gbit up/down fibreglass internet for €40 a month here :olo:

I pay €17 for cellphone plan with 4GB data (SIM only) :D

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 11-15-2019 04:52 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pretty sure that's fiberoptics and yeah, that's my point. We're being absolutely fisted by the telco's in this country.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 11-15-2019 05:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I already pay for Sky (I am a massive F1 fan and they do it in 4k), Netflix (discounted rate with Sky) and Amazon Prime (for deliveries, though the TV stuff is a nice addition).

I pay £21 for my phone a month; unlimited calls, texts and data.
I pay £30 for my 60mbit broadband and phone line, though the new house will be £35 with no phone line but with 250mbit broadband.

So naturally, I will be getting Disney+

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 11-15-2019 07:24 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A couple of my colleagues are doing a lot of work on F1's NDI solution.
All the footage currently routes from location to the NDI servers in Biggin Hill where the director can then piece them together.
And I think long-term, F1 may be looking to leverage the tech to deliver direct to the punter and bypass traditional broadcasters. But that's a ways down the line.
It does mean we've had guys in the office with multiple monitor set-ups getting feeds directly from the cars on occasion though :D

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 11-15-2019 08:52 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:
All the footage currently routes from location to the NDI servers in Biggin Hill where the director can then piece them together.
And I think long-term, F1 may be looking to leverage the tech to deliver direct to the punter and bypass traditional broadcasters. But that's a ways down the line.
It does mean we've had guys in the office with multiple monitor set-ups getting feeds directly from the cars on occasion though :D

Yeah, they 100% will want to go direct to customer, but I don't know if they will be able to put the people behind it like they have now. Martin Brundle, David Croft etc. But then if they are going all in, who knows?

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 11-15-2019 10:29 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I pay £45 (I think) for 350/100mbit. Don’t have a landline phone. £10 Netflix, £20 amazon music, £8 amazon kids and get Sky movies for free. It soon adds up.

Downloaded a COD patch and noticed it was at 470mbit.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 11-15-2019 12:23 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:
I pay £45 (I think) for 350/100mbit. Don’t have a landline phone. £10 Netflix, £20 amazon music, £8 amazon kids and get Sky movies for free. It soon adds up.

Downloaded a COD patch and noticed it was at 470mbit.

Wowsers

512mbit is available where I am going but its £90 a month...Virgin though, rather than BT

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 11-15-2019 12:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm lucky enough to get fiber in my condo from one of the only providers in all of Canada that has its own infrastructure and doesn't sell your privacy and data to American corporations. $85/month for unlimited 500Mb up&down, no outages or throttling either, unlike other Canadian providers.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-15-2019 03:11 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:

F1 doesn't have a streaming subscription? For MotoGP you can buy online subscriptions to get access to all sorts of live streams and historic footage.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 11-24-2019 11:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Re: Currently watching..... on the TV

Just watched HBO’s recent historical drama Catherine the Great, viewed the 4 episodes over two nights...
Really good. 8/10

Quote:
Storyline
Amid scandal, intrigue and immense conflict, Russian empress Catherine the Great (Helen Mirren) develops a unique and devoted relationship with Grigory Potemkin (Jason Clarke) as they overcome their adversaries and serve as the architects of modern-day Russia.

IMDB

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 11-24-2019 01:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Joe Robinet on Youtube

love me some Canuck bushcraft

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-29-2019 03:03 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Final Space season 2. It just became available here on Netflix.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 11-29-2019 03:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So the only thing worth watching on disney+ is the mandalorian. Great fucking show though.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 11-29-2019 01:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
So the only thing worth watching on disney+ is the mandalorian. Great fucking show though.

Thanks for the reminder Κracus. I did see the shorts on TV just yesterday. Your post prompts me to look for it :)

Re: Currently watching..... on the TV

Me, a British. Welsh mini TV series called Keeping Faith.
Really captivating. I am just about start watching series 2 after the cliffhanger ending in series 1 :up:

IMDB

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 12-04-2019 12:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just finished that Welsh mini TV series called Keeping Faith, 2 seasons/14 episodes.

Really good!
The accent was a little hard to grasp at times but a rather good story line supported by descent acting make the show. Get a chance give it a go I say.

Re: Currently watching..... on the TV, my next is either The Looming Tower or The Man In The High Castle. I haven't decided as I type.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-21-2019 03:00 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Watched first two episodes of (season 1) The Crown. So far so good.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 12-22-2019 02:29 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just watched the first episode of The Witcher...

Going to have to give this one a few episodes I think

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 12-22-2019 05:04 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just finished Watchmen. Really enjoyed it...:up:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-22-2019 11:44 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:

Did you read Entertainment Weekly's review? The reviewer watched the first two episodes, then skipped to the fifth episode (because, as he put it, life was too short to waste on it) and after only seeing those three episodes said the series was an utter turd.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 12-23-2019 02:56 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That doesn't seem very professional, especially given the non-linear nature of the story-telling.

I thoroughly enjoyed it, but I'm also aware that having loved the games and the world they came from, I'm probably more than a tad biased.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 12-23-2019 03:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:
That doesn't seem very professional, especially given the non-linear nature of the story-telling.

Agreed. That review is now worthless.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 12-23-2019 04:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:

Same, it's a bit too cheesy

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-23-2019 04:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:

I thoroughly enjoyed it, but I'm also aware that having loved the games and the world they came from, I'm probably more than a tad biased.

Here's the review in case anyone was wondering:
https://ew.com/tv-reviews/2019/12/20/ne ... er-review/

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.