Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Half-Life: Alyx

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Half-Life: Alyx

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 11-18-2019 05:44 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy?

https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/18/209 ... ip-vr-game

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 11-18-2019 10:45 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sigh

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-18-2019 11:31 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Get ready for a major disappointment

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 11-19-2019 12:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yay! It'll likely be the best VR experience you can have at time of release.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 11-19-2019 12:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Or it's one of the same vein as the Portal VR "experience", ie a sandbox plaything with some franchise branding.

either way it's not Ep3 so.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 11-19-2019 01:23 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
Or it's one of the same vein as the Portal VR "experience", ie a sandbox plaything with some franchise branding.

either way it's not Ep3 so.

100% - it'll be explore and play with Dog; not an actual follow on from HL as it were.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 11-19-2019 05:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My only problem with VR is the nausea... I played some recently on PS4, I forget the name of the game, you were a tiny mouse and it was a 3D platformer and I was blown away. I also played the star wars one where you're in an xwing and it was amazing despite how short it was. However, after about 30 minutes of playing the mouse game I had some fairly serious nausea and had to stop.

Linux Version
Linux Version
PostPosted: 11-19-2019 10:32 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Good VR games are few and far between it seems. I mean there are alot like Beat Saber where the genre is really just Applied Tech Demo (e.g. the game is just an excuse to use the mechanics of VR) .

But in terms of actual long-form games, I think the only one I've seen that didn't feel like a demo of a game was Orbus, but that turned to ass when it left early access (this is not a recommendation, it was fun in beta, but they basically replaced the entire game when it left early access and the new game they replaced it with sucks).

There are a couple of other VR MMOs on the horizon that look interesting, it's certainly possible to do, it's just hard and very niche right now, so it's more economical to shit out a 2-level tech demo than make a full game.

Hopefully since Valve actually has a stake in PC VR, this will be more an actual full game than an applied tech demo. I'm definitely looking forward to it, and hoping that it works fine on the original Vive and isn't "made for Index" or something tarded. I'm not planning on getting another headset anytime soon.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 11-19-2019 02:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

>don't make HL3 for 10 years
>develop VR headset
>announce HL game that isn't HL3 to play on VR headset

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 11-19-2019 02:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Anyone still holding their breath for HL3 is only fooling themselves at this point. VR needs a big-name studio to develop a big budget game if the medium is ever going to catch on and become mainstream. If Alyx becomes that, then props to Valve. But I'm not expecting much more than what emka is. :shrug:

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 11-20-2019 04:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Get ready for a major disappointment

Get ready for a big alt-right/gamergate/nackbeard pushback because of a female lead.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 11-20-2019 03:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ok boomer

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 11-20-2019 05:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I can't wait for that meme to die.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-21-2019 11:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh shit :eek:

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 11-21-2019 12:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

To be honest, I just watched that trailer and it did absolutely nothing for me. I guess I'm officially over Half-Life. It looked like a glorified tech demo to me. It's not that I want to rain on people their parade, but I've been going at it primarily with PSVR since 2016 and so far, with the exception of Resident Evil 7, Astro bot and a few others, most of the games are glorified tech demo's with gimmicky hack puzzles and what not. I was really hoping Valve would come out swinging with never before seen stuff in VR, like Half-Life 2 did with physics and Half-Life 1 with storytelling. And it sucks that it's a Vive title because if you need to go PC VR you are better of with Oculus. Especially with exclusives.

But they are releasing Source 2 and the mod tools along side with it, so hopefully some modder will make it playable without VR.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 11-21-2019 01:35 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

For a VR game, it looks fucking amazing. Can’t wait to try it...

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 11-21-2019 02:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
For a VR game, it looks fucking amazing. Can’t wait to try it...

I'll raise my had too. I am a VR virgin spending a few moments with a headset on and those paddle things in my hand. My son introduced me weeks ago and I haven't ventured back to the VR world.

Linux Version
Linux Version
PostPosted: 11-21-2019 03:18 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Infernis wrote:
To be honest, I just watched that trailer and it did absolutely nothing for me. I guess I'm officially over Half-Life. It looked like a glorified tech demo to me. It's not that I want to rain on people their parade, but I've been going at it primarily with PSVR since 2016 and so far, with the exception of Resident Evil 7, Astro bot and a few others, most of the games are glorified tech demo's with gimmicky hack puzzles and what not. I was really hoping Valve would come out swinging with never before seen stuff in VR, like Half-Life 2 did with physics and Half-Life 1 with storytelling. And it sucks that it's a Vive title because if you need to go PC VR you are better of with Oculus. Especially with exclusives.

But they are releasing Source 2 and the mod tools along side with it, so hopefully some modder will make it playable without VR.

Yeah, so far there are few games that I've found interesting as *games* instead of tech demos. I still play Beat Saber, but that's just "use the VR mechanics with music", and it happens to work. My son plays Gorn, which is fun, but again it's just a single room. OrbusVR was the only game that I tried that was actually a good game designed around VR mechanics, but it became notably worse after it left beta. There are a couple of interesting looking ones like Nostos coming out at some point, but actually involved VR games are few and far between.

As for the Alyx trailer, it looks like an on-rails shooter more than anything. Yay. But that was largely what HL games really were at their core, so maybe it'll be good? But I doubt it's $60 good.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 11-21-2019 03:35 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh wow

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 11-21-2019 09:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I love love love all the salt.

Mmmmm

Stoked. Can't wait. GJ Valve.

Did you REALLLLY think it wasn't going to be HL:VR? They dropped a new controller, headset, been quiet for how long?

I am loving the salt though. People are so tilted its not even funny. Game looks amazing, and VR is really the next successor for FPS games. Like it or not they just play better. Its crazy going back to a flat shooter after playing a ton of VR shooters. You really realize how limited you are in games on a keyboard and mouse. In VR you can be shooting any direction with any combo of things in your hands while looking the other way. Its just, better.

Haters keep on hating. Your salt fuels me. :D

Infernis wrote:

Half Life 2 looked like a glorified tech demo too. But ya know.
https://twitter.com/geoffkeighley/statu ... 70881?s=20

Theres tons of VR content that isnt trash. Pistol Whip, Synth Riders, Pavlov, Onward, Stormland, ETC. Sorry its all PCVR. Sony just don't give enough of a shit yet.

Tetris effect is amazing though. I assume you have it if you've had PSVR that long. God that games so good.

Therac-25 wrote:
Infernis wrote:

Yeah, so far there are few games that I've found interesting as *games* instead of tech demos. I still play Beat Saber, but that's just "use the VR mechanics with music", and it happens to work. My son plays Gorn, which is fun, but again it's just a single room. OrbusVR was the only game that I tried that was actually a good game designed around VR mechanics, but it became notably worse after it left beta. There are a couple of interesting looking ones like Nostos coming out at some point, but actually involved VR games are few and far between.

As for the Alyx trailer, it looks like an on-rails shooter more than anything. Yay. But that was largely what HL games really were at their core, so maybe it'll be good? But I doubt it's $60 good.

Already replied kinda above but you know theres a bunch of stuff out there ya? I have 2100 games in viveport alone. I get theres a lot of crap but seriously the list of GOOD quality vr content is pretty long these days. Sairento still holds up, its been updated, its like a new game really. The VR side for Hellblade is REALLY well done. Eye of the Temple is coming soon, its basically indiana jones VR, which is rad. Blasters of the Universe is a ton of fun. Compound is a really cool retro VR roguelite shooter. Lots of fun. Contractors for your COD itch. Creed is good if you want a semi arcade boxing feel. Thrill of the fight if you want a more wear your ass out boxing experience. I really enjoyed In Death, Its kinda roguelite bow game thing. Pokerstars is a hoot if you like poker. All of the serious sam games are good/fun. Touring Karts is dope AF if you're into mario kart. Stormland for that grind/story game. Lone echo, story space game, very cool. Moss for your side scroller kinda more platformy shit, and its good. Five Night at Freddys is a thing now. Its insane. 100% recommend.

VR gets a bad rap and people say theres no content, But theres tons of really good content. People just want AAA after AAA title and the industry has shown AAA companies do shit ports of otherwise ok/decent games.

Yeah. I wrote a book. Wanna fite bout it?

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 11-22-2019 01:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:up: SOAPboy, me personally now, I consider you our Q3W VR resident 'go to'.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 11-22-2019 02:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SOAPboy wrote:

Theres tons of VR content that isnt trash. Pistol Whip, Synth Riders, Pavlov, Onward, Stormland, ETC. Sorry its all PCVR. Sony just don't give enough of a shit yet.

Tetris effect is amazing though. I assume you have it if you've had PSVR that long. God that games so good.

Already replied kinda above but you know theres a bunch of stuff out there ya? I have 2100 games in viveport alone. I get theres a lot of crap but seriously the list of GOOD quality vr content is pretty long these days. Sairento still holds up, its been updated, its like a new game really. The VR side for Hellblade is REALLY well done. Eye of the Temple is coming soon, its basically indiana jones VR, which is rad. Blasters of the Universe is a ton of fun. Compound is a really cool retro VR roguelite shooter. Lots of fun. Contractors for your COD itch. Creed is good if you want a semi arcade boxing feel. Thrill of the fight if you want a more wear your ass out boxing experience. I really enjoyed In Death, Its kinda roguelite bow game thing. Pokerstars is a hoot if you like poker. All of the serious sam games are good/fun. Touring Karts is dope AF if you're into mario kart. Stormland for that grind/story game. Lone echo, story space game, very cool. Moss for your side scroller kinda more platformy shit, and its good. Five Night at Freddys is a thing now. Its insane. 100% recommend.

VR gets a bad rap and people say theres no content, But theres tons of really good content. People just want AAA after AAA title and the industry has shown AAA companies do shit ports of otherwise ok/decent games.

I know there's a lot more options on the pc. Personally I would love to play Asgard's Wrath, Vader Immortal, Lone Echo, Robo Recall, etc. So I come from a PSVR experience and I'm obviously limited by that and I can only speak from that perspective. Still, the trailer doesn't do it for me personally. I was far more impressed by the trailer of Asgard's Wrath. But I know you need to experience VR in order to properly judge and after seeing the Final Hours video by Geoff, I have to admit that I'm slowly doing a 180 but I'm not about to spend 1200 euros on a headset nor do I have the room to set something like that up. I've read that it also works on Oculus, which is a lot cheaper and tempting, but I still don't have the room. I can play PSVR from my couch our standing in front of the TV, I don't need anything else. I would love some suggestions though.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 11-22-2019 02:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

From RPS:

Quote:
Better still, it’s also designed to support room scale, sitting and standing VR setups, and allows for character motion via teleportation, ‘shifting’ from A to B, or walking around with an analogue stick. It will also support finger tracking (as used in Valve Index controllers) or trigger-based controllers (as used in HTC Vive controllers).

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-22-2019 04:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I know it's probably misplaced, but I do feel a bit betrayed knowing that I can't play this due to not having a VR set.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 11-22-2019 08:45 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It kinda looks like VR is mandatory to be able to actually make use of the game mechanics. I'm not sure how it'd work with a controller to be able to move items on a shelf like that.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-22-2019 10:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

But such gameplay design choices are the results of the choice for VR, not the other way around.

I've been waiting 12 years for a new Half-Life game. Finally Valve gets around to making one (albeit not HL3/Ep3) and I can't play it because it's released for a platform owned by like 5 people in the whole world.
And I get Valve games have always been about pushing hardware and design, but there's always been the option of playing it on lesser hardware on lower resolutions, graphics quality settings or framerates.
Additionally, VR is not just an evolution in the sense of faster GPU's or more memory, it's a completely new thing that may not easily slot into people's gaming habits.

Don't get me wrong, I think VR is awesome and it's great to see an AAA-title being developed for it, I just hate the fact that I can't play it.

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 11-22-2019 11:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
But such gameplay design choices are the results of the choice for VR, not the other way around.

I've been waiting 12 years for a new Half-Life game. Finally Valve gets around to making one (albeit not HL3/Ep3) and I can't play it because it's released for a platform owned by like 5 people in the whole world.
And I get Valve games have always been about pushing hardware and design, but there's always been the option of playing it on lesser hardware on lower resolutions, graphics quality settings or framerates.
Additionally, VR is not just an evolution in the sense of faster GPU's or more memory, it's a completely new thing that may not easily slot into people's gaming habits.

Don't get me wrong, I think VR is awesome and it's great to see an AAA-title being developed for it, I just hate the fact that I can't play it.

This is old man logic.

This is the same bullshit with the last half life. OH NO IM GONNA HAVE TO UPGRADE MAH PCCCCC

you guys dont bat a fucking eye at dropping 400+ on a video card. Whats the deal with a headset? Or 600+ on monitors and such. The whiny salt and crying about having to buy something to play a game is fucking hilarious coming from PC gamers. 1500$ video card, but oh god spending 349.99 on a VR headset. :olo:

Oh right. Old man logic.

Get out of here nerd.

Κracus wrote:
It kinda looks like VR is mandatory to be able to actually make use of the game mechanics. I'm not sure how it'd work with a controller to be able to move items on a shelf like that.

Some games have done the cross play shit. Serious Sam for example has pancake/vr mode so you can play with flat friends. The way it ends up working though, is it makes the game like mouse and keyboard, so your guns stuck to your headset n shit and you no longer can hold 2 guns at the same time.

Basically they rip out VR features, replace them with the flat variant, then bind buttons for VR users. Its really jank and feels like shit. :(

Eraser wrote:
I know it's probably misplaced, but I do feel a bit betrayed knowing that I can't play this due to not having a VR set.

Don't. Headsets aint super expensive anymore.

Infernis wrote:
SOAPboy wrote:

I know there's a lot more options on the pc. Personally I would love to play Asgard's Wrath, Vader Immortal, Lone Echo, Robo Recall, etc. So I come from a PSVR experience and I'm obviously limited by that and I can only speak from that perspective. Still, the trailer doesn't do it for me personally. I was far more impressed by the trailer of Asgard's Wrath. But I know you need to experience VR in order to properly judge and after seeing the Final Hours video by Geoff, I have to admit that I'm slowly doing a 180 but I'm not about to spend 1200 euros on a headset nor do I have the room to set something like that up. I've read that it also works on Oculus, which is a lot cheaper and tempting, but I still don't have the room. I can play PSVR from my couch our standing in front of the TV, I don't need anything else. I would love some suggestions though.

WMR is great on super budget. Really. Yeah the controllers are kinda trash but so are vive wands so w/e

Rift S is my go to recommend for people who are new and have a PC and want PCVR primarily. IF you can throw down a grand, Index is going to be the recommend there. And if you can literally light money on fire, Vive Pro + Index controllers + Wireless = Best setup period right now.

I'm a huge fan of the quest too. Only thing is, don't buy it ONLY for a PCVR headset. Yeah its fine, Link works good. But understand its a mobile headset first. Its good, and itll give you the taste you need/want while things are tight in the living room. BUt as soon as you outgrow the space, eh, you'll want to potentially upgrade.

Whiskey 7 wrote:
:up: SOAPboy, me personally now, I consider you our Q3W VR resident 'go to'.

Questions LMK. Only been in the VR industry 2 years, but we're 6 headsets deep!

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 11-22-2019 11:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:

I join that queue :smirk:
I'll have to go VR to really play the game. A limited market so you do wonder why the investment in development. Then it is early days of VR gaming and someone has to start or lead I guess...

SOAPboy wrote:
........... but we're 6 headsets deep!

My statement ".... Q3W VR resident 'go to' " supported.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 11-22-2019 06:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SOAPboy wrote:
This is old man logic.

This is the same bullshit with the last half life. OH NO IM GONNA HAVE TO UPGRADE MAH PCCCCC

you guys dont bat a fucking eye at dropping 400+ on a video card. Whats the deal with a headset? Or 600+ on monitors and such. The whiny salt and crying about having to buy something to play a game is fucking hilarious coming from PC gamers. 1500$ video card, but oh god spending 349.99 on a VR headset. :olo:

Oh right. Old man logic.

Get out of here nerd.

Not everyone can (or wants to) adjust their gaming habits to accomodate VR. It's a physical medium, and not everyone wants to work up a sweat when they play a game. A lot of people just want to veg out in a recliner, to sit back and relax, they don't all want to be on the edge of their seat for a long gaming session, flailing their arms around.

You're right about one thing, though, it is old man logic. Then again, the core demographic of users who can afford to drop $400-800 on a VR set and peripherals are definitely not college kids.... ;)

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 11-22-2019 08:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
SOAPboy wrote:
This is old man logic.

Oh right. Old man logic.

Get out of here nerd.

Not everyone can (or wants to) adjust their gaming habits to accomodate VR. It's a physical medium, and not everyone wants to work up a sweat when they play a game. A lot of people just want to veg out in a recliner, to sit back and relax, they don't all want to be on the edge of their seat for a long gaming session, flailing their arms around.

You're right about one thing, though, it is old man logic. Then again, the core demographic of users who can afford to drop $400-800 on a VR set and peripherals are definitely not college kids.... ;)

I keep having this space conversation with people and I keep pointing to all kinds of people with basically no space who play VR games just fine. Theres also a professional echo player who plays sitting. Not all VR games require you to stand around and sweat. In fact I recommended a few already that are awesome and are just seated games.

Again you're not thinking about the medium as a whole and are using your lack of experience to guide your judgement here.

One thing you're right about though. Its mostly 18+ crowd. Its getting younger though. A lot younger. Quest + Rift S is allowing that entry level to get lower. Kids not having to hang shit on walls sells that headset.

What I'm trying to say here, Until you own a headset, and actually play a bunch of shit, opinions don't mean shit. I had no idea what I was getting into with VR. I was skeptical AF and I def did not want to spend $$$ for GPU upgrades. I got STUPID lucky on the summer of rift sale, Ended up starting with a trash GTX 960 as my first card and had a ton of fun. About broke a window, myself a few times, was insane. I never figured it would be as good as it was but then I owned one.

Sitting in an arcade for a bit, Isn't the experience. I've ran a good handful of booths and have multiple friends who own arcades. Unless you "live there" and spend hours inside those headsets on a regular basis, you'll never really get to experience things. You need it in your home to really appreciate it it fully. Theres just some things you can't/won't/want to be able to play in a booth/arcade.

With that said. If someone knows how to demo VR, and has a quest. Expect to be blown the fuck away. And I totally get that some people just wont be into it. Everything isnt for everyone. But even the people who have no interest in actually buying it, or using one in there home, that have had a good demo from someone who knows how to demo, they totally "get it". They may not want one but they are sold and will tell everyone about how neat it is.

Only people I know who really hate VR are people who havent tried it, or had a really really bad experience. Low frame rate, or like, a google cardboard or something dumb.

Can you tell I really like VR?

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 11-23-2019 01:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SOAPboy wrote:
WMR is great on super budget. Really. Yeah the controllers are kinda trash but so are vive wands so w/e

Rift S is my go to recommend for people who are new and have a PC and want PCVR primarily. IF you can throw down a grand, Index is going to be the recommend there. And if you can literally light money on fire, Vive Pro + Index controllers + Wireless = Best setup period right now.

I'm a huge fan of the quest too. Only thing is, don't buy it ONLY for a PCVR headset. Yeah its fine, Link works good. But understand its a mobile headset first. Its good, and itll give you the taste you need/want while things are tight in the living room. BUt as soon as you outgrow the space, eh, you'll want to potentially upgrade.

I'm willing to invest in either a Rift/Quest because it's doable price wise and Oculus has several exclusives I'm really interested in. Based on your comments I'm better off with a Rift, the only question that really remains then is what about the space? Because I just want to be able to use it behind my desk, which comes down to about 2 x 2 meters. Are the Oculus touch controllers crap?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-23-2019 02:37 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

For me price in itself isn't the major factor in not (yet) getting a VR headset. My brother has an Oculus Quest and it's really cool. I also know space mostly isn't an issue either.

What, to me, is pretty obvious about soapboy's attitude compared to mine here is that we're in totally different phases of our lives. I have a full-time job, three kids to take care of and a 5 person household to manage, keep organized and clean and keep everything rolling. There isn't much time for gaming anymore. To spend $500 on a VR set means I spend $500 on something I'll barely use. I can't really justify that to myself.
Why can I justify spending $1100 on a laptop? Well, the laptop is something I need anyway. Something the whole family makes use of. Something I use for many things other than gaming. The added cost of having a decent GPU in there (GTX1060) is negligible.

The other thing is that VR gaming currently is a completely anti-social activity. You literally make yourself deaf and blind to your real world surroundings. You can't properly interact with them anymore. When I'm sitting behind my laptop playing Kerbal Space Program, Hearthstone, MotoGP racing or most of the other games I play these days, I don't shut myself off from my surroundings. I still have conversations with the people around me (my kids or girlfriend) and I'm still very much there. I don't like to socially shut myself off and, with the responsibility towards my children, in many cases I even can't.

So as much as I think VR tech in itself is awesome, really cool, I just don't see myself regularly putting a headset on my head. That's why I don't feel too good about Half-Life 1.5 being a VR only game. I would love for there to be a non-VR version. I'd absolutely play that.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-23-2019 09:34 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:)

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 11-23-2019 01:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
For me price in itself isn't the major factor in not (yet) getting a VR headset. My brother has an Oculus Quest and it's really cool. I also know space mostly isn't an issue either.

What, to me, is pretty obvious about soapboy's attitude compared to mine here is that we're in totally different phases of our lives. I have a full-time job, three kids to take care of and a 5 person household to manage, keep organized and clean and keep everything rolling. There isn't much time for gaming anymore. To spend $500 on a VR set means I spend $500 on something I'll barely use. I can't really justify that to myself.
Why can I justify spending $1100 on a laptop? Well, the laptop is something I need anyway. Something the whole family makes use of. Something I use for many things other than gaming. The added cost of having a decent GPU in there (GTX1060) is negligible.

The other thing is that VR gaming currently is a completely anti-social activity. You literally make yourself deaf and blind to your real world surroundings. You can't properly interact with them anymore. When I'm sitting behind my laptop playing Kerbal Space Program, Hearthstone, MotoGP racing or most of the other games I play these days, I don't shut myself off from my surroundings. I still have conversations with the people around me (my kids or girlfriend) and I'm still very much there. I don't like to socially shut myself off and, with the responsibility towards my children, in many cases I even can't.

So as much as I think VR tech in itself is awesome, really cool, I just don't see myself regularly putting a headset on my head. That's why I don't feel too good about Half-Life 1.5 being a VR only game. I would love for there to be a non-VR version. I'd absolutely play that.

Hahaha did you just try to "career/kid" shame me?

Like for real. Am I reading this right? Did you seriously like, yeah. I'm gonna pretend it was an accident and you're not that fucking stupid.

1) When I started VR, I worked a 9 to 5. I also played step dad for a while. Neither of those things change the VR situation.

2) Are your kids all infants? Or do you not let them play games? VR is great with kids.

3) Anti-Social?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/3418 ... _Explodes/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/8681 ... use_Party/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/667800/Loco_Dojo/

Tell me how VR is anti social again? Keeping in mind thats off the top of my head....

And since you for some reason think I sit alone in a house all day. Fun fact, I actually also have people in my home, I have to interact with, while using a VR headset. SHOCK IM NORMAL.

Remember that part where I said, people who don't own VR don't know shit? And probably have bad opinions? Thats you, Right now. You assumed shit. Again. And your opinion is poop.

Sooo please, stop talking about VR like you know shit and its facts. Because its not. You're wrong, and thats ok but you might wanna not ruin it for other people by popping off your bad info.

Infernis wrote:
I'm willing to invest in either a Rift/Quest because it's doable price wise and Oculus has several exclusives I'm really interested in. Based on your comments I'm better off with a Rift, the only question that really remains then is what about the space? Because I just want to be able to use it behind my desk, which comes down to about 2 x 2 meters. Are the Oculus touch controllers crap?

2x2 meters is .5 meters under the "recommended full roomscale size" set by valve. Its fine. You'll have some edge cases you cant do things with (Eye of the temple when it launches for example, has no small room option, and it REQUIRES almost 3m square). Beyond that, good to go!

As far as which is better on space. Meh, Whatever. If you can blow a grand all yolo the index is the nicer headset period. But the rift S is a quality piece of kit. Biggest complaints from people tend to be the headband/welders mask thing. Some people hate it, some are fine with it. Beyond that tracking is super good.

WITH THAT SAID. Lighthouse setups have larger expandable bla bla bla bla. its just way more $$

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-24-2019 12:35 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm not trying to shame anyone. Not sure how you come to that conclusion. But the fact that you did take it that way and your rather aggressive way of responding to me shows me you're acting like a fucking moron that gets insulted when exposed to the fact that the world doesn't work the same way for everyone and that different people have different ways of doing things. Your complete lack of empathy is disturbing and rather telling of someone that's either still relatively young, hasn't had much life experience or is a psychopath.

It's hilarious that you claim to "have played stepdad". No parent would ever claim to "play" being a parent. Shows me you've never had kids that really depended on you and that you never had to move everything over to be there for them. I would move heaven and hell for my kids. If you think you'd get there by "playing stepdad", then jesus, I feel sorry for the kid(s) you pretended to care about.

You also get totally riled up when someone doesn't accept that VR is the second coming of Christ. The amount of importance you put into VR and gaming in general shows you're just a kid yourself. If you can't understand that VR may just not be the thing for everyone then that's on you man, not on everyone else.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.