Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Cyber Monday

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Cyber Monday

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 11-27-2017 01:58 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Who wants to cyber?? :drool:

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 11-27-2017 02:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I had a 30% voucher for a site I bought a duvet from a few years ago sent to me as a cyber monday deal.. a duvet site, on cyber monday?!

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 11-27-2017 02:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I bet they make them with WiFi nowadays. :up:

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 11-27-2017 10:55 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

got a good deal on a Phillips Hue starter kit :up:

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 11-28-2017 01:29 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

shaft wrote:

I recently got a HIVE hub and some dim-able lights for the lounger. Quite cool being able to switch off certain lights if they are all on the same loop. Can recommend. Keep us posted on what you think of the Hue kit

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 11-28-2017 04:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

shaft wrote:

A friend of mine put Hue throughout his whole house - he's got about 19 lights in various types (bulbs, strips, phoenix downlights etc). They're utterly expensive, but are fun to play with. My phone's still paired with his lights, I should drive past their house one night and be annoying :owned:

I think I'm holding off on smart lights until they can produce 100w equivalent bulbs

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-28-2017 04:23 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I got a Philips Hue light in my bedroom. It can do four types of light (from soft warm light to hard bright light) and it's dimmable. You can buy something to connect it to your phone but I didn't see the need yet. It's just nice to have a single lamp for dimmed soft light to wake up to and whiter light to read with.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 11-28-2017 06:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

They seems pretty awesome so far, but yeah normally hella expensive for the colored ones. $50 a bulb. I plan on putting them on the front of the house and use the dusk/dawn feature and to add some festive color during holidays.

They were on sale everywhere for cyber monday. The reddit sub was going nuts. I picked up the 4pk starter for $136 after discount.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 11-28-2017 07:08 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I’ve been looking into home automation. I’d like to incorporate it into the house build, but I’m extremely noob. I guess I just need to make sure I run cable to each room. But does cat5 need to be ran to each light switch? Or how does that work?

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 11-28-2017 07:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nah it’s all wireless. Even the bulbs.
The only thing I wish i would’ve had wired when building my home is hidden outlets in some of the windows for power shades. It could be remedied with batteries but i’d rather not pull out a ladder every few months to change them.

Also I wish the industry would agree on one standard. I have Legrand Adorne in my house and it uses its own system and the switches are non standard. They look nice but impossible to swap out with a more popular smart switch.

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 11-28-2017 07:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
I’ve been looking into home automation. I’d like to incorporate it into the house build, but I’m extremely noob. I guess I just need to make sure I run cable to each room. But does cat5 need to be ran to each light switch? Or how does that work?

Most smart lights, e.g., Hue, use wireless (zigbee protocol). Each bulb has its own wireless receiver and the Hue bridge which you connect to your router relays commands to them from your phone or whatever. The light socket is permanently live but can still turn the bulb completely off/on via wifi. The wireless chip stays turned on obviously but it'll use barely any power.

If you wanted to go fully smart in your new home you needed bother get light switches fitted at all. All that extra cabling and switches will probably save you enough money to pay for the bulbs.

If you want a physical switch you can get Hue light switches, but they again work over wireless. You don't need to wire them in at all, you can stick the base plate on any wall you like and the actual switch is magnetic so you can ether leave it on the wall or move it around with you.

https://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/871869650 ... mer-switch

edit: damn you shaft :o

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-28-2017 07:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

PhoeniX wrote:
Each bulb has its own wireless receiver

Which is why the bulbs are so damn expensive.
I read somewhere that it's cheaper to buy a bundle pack with a hub and 3 lamps and throw away the hub than individual lamps. Not sure if this checks out entirely but I wouldn't be surprised.

PhoeniX wrote:

I got this with my Hue. It's just a bit easier than having to unlock my phone, find the right app and control the correct light with it while still half asleep. Only annoying thing is that the "on" button (which turns the lamp to full brightness) is used to switch color mode as well. So you can't switch color mode without going to full brightness first (at least, as far as I know).

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 11-28-2017 07:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, last time Amazon did black Friday deals that's what a friend did. There was a limit of two bulbs per person or something, so they got a bunch of friends who didn't want Hue to buy the kits.

You can reconfigure the switch to turn on in its "last on state", is that what you want?
https://www.howtogeek.com/244803/how-to ... ur-lights/

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-28-2017 08:02 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hmm, I might have to try that. I'm pretty sure that when I press the on button now, it goes to the last on-state, but a second press makes it go full bright and the third press goes to the next color.

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 11-28-2017 08:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It was a while since I used it, but I think theirs was configured so that you press the on button to turn it on in its last-on-state, then tap the on button to cycle through colours afterwards. This left the brightness buttons entirely independent of colour choice.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 11-28-2017 08:45 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If you have alexia or siri listening you can just ask them to do it.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 11-30-2019 06:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fucking weirdos made fun of me when i hued the whole house. Now u morons are jumping on the bandwagon... Pathetic...

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 11-30-2019 06:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

BTW hue software is pathetic... Gotta find work arounds all the time...

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 11-30-2019 11:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

scared? wrote:
Fucking weirdos made fun of me when i hued the whole house. Now u morons are jumping on the bandwagon... Pathetic...

2 year old thread. Moron.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 12-01-2019 01:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's just how quickly his mind works

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 12-01-2019 11:59 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

scared? wrote:
BTW hue software is pathetic... Gotta find work arounds all the time...

how so?

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 12-02-2019 05:29 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Who wants to cyber?? :drool:

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 12-03-2019 06:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Last set feature will remember color but not brightness. Sometimes can't set a routine for a color only a scene... Shit like that...

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 12-03-2019 07:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

and it was in the year 2019 that a man (and i use the word man in its loosest possible sense) complained that he was unable to programme a lightbulb to his exacting standards :|

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 12-03-2019 09:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Grow up chump...

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 12-03-2019 12:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:dork: :arrow: :idea:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.