Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Currently watching..... on the TV

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Currently watching..... on the TV

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-21-2019 03:00 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Watched first two episodes of (season 1) The Crown. So far so good.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 12-22-2019 02:29 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just watched the first episode of The Witcher...

Going to have to give this one a few episodes I think

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 12-22-2019 05:04 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just finished Watchmen. Really enjoyed it...:up:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-22-2019 11:44 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:

Did you read Entertainment Weekly's review? The reviewer watched the first two episodes, then skipped to the fifth episode (because, as he put it, life was too short to waste on it) and after only seeing those three episodes said the series was an utter turd.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 12-23-2019 02:56 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That doesn't seem very professional, especially given the non-linear nature of the story-telling.

I thoroughly enjoyed it, but I'm also aware that having loved the games and the world they came from, I'm probably more than a tad biased.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 12-23-2019 03:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:
That doesn't seem very professional, especially given the non-linear nature of the story-telling.

Agreed. That review is now worthless.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 12-23-2019 04:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:

Same, it's a bit too cheesy

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-23-2019 04:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:

I thoroughly enjoyed it, but I'm also aware that having loved the games and the world they came from, I'm probably more than a tad biased.

Here's the review in case anyone was wondering:
https://ew.com/tv-reviews/2019/12/20/ne ... er-review/

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 12-23-2019 04:40 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, having read that, not sure why I bothered.
The only point they make that is worthwhile was also one that left me a bit uncomfortable: the amount of nudity in episode 5 was a bit gratuitous, and I found it undermined a lot of otherwise good narrative work and acting they'd put into Yennefer.

But all of their other complaints are addressed if you just watch the damn show. It's almost Memento-like in how it tells its tale backwards, with initially confusing events gradually being made clear over time.

On a tangent, has anyone else here watched the latest season of The Expanse?
So damned good, even if I knew the overarching plot going in thanks to having read the books.
This is the way adaptations should be done, adding new stuff for existing fans. Fleshing out Bobby's back-story and the political machinations on Earth during the Ilus incident was really cool, as well as introducing a key antagonist slightly earlier.
Can't wait for the next series!

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-23-2019 04:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No spoilers please! It's on my to watch list.

While on the subject of The Expanse, let me toot my own horn once more :D

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 12-24-2019 01:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:

Same here. Watched the entire season and thought it was pretty damn good. A little confusing with the timelines as has been mentioned, but once I started to see what was going on it tied together nicely. Ready for season 2.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 12-24-2019 03:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Watched first two episodes of (season 1) The Crown. So far so good.

Let us know if you're enjoying. I did and just found season 3. Some actors changed I see.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 12-27-2019 12:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Re: Currently watching..... on the TV... I watched the first episode of The Mandalorian and it is looking good to me :)

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 12-27-2019 05:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
Agreed. That review is now worthless.

I don't think so: Nowadays most shows strive to have some kind of overarching plot, development etc. But: After watching your share of shows you know the moves and you don't have to watch every episode to form an oppinion.

Will everything make sense after the first 10 episodes because now you know that the fishmonger in episode 1 is actually the descendant of the king that died in episode 6?

Maybe.

Is it worth spending 10 hours of your life watching it and 10 hours of your life advocating it to your friends?

Maybe not.

Generally: I would not read a single review (or even a single statement in a review) as requesting to be treated as the single and absolute source of judgement. Think about a review as provididing a singular point of view on a complex work of art.

If something gets a lot of mediocre reviews (Rise of Skywalker) I would take it as an indication of mediocre quality. If something gets divisive reviews (Joker), it will most likely be worthwhile - even if you don't agree with what is presented.

(More of a general perspective. I did not watch the show yet. Definitely will do because I like the games. :up:)

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-27-2019 11:58 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pext wrote:
Is it worth spending 10 hours of your life watching it and 10 hours of your life advocating it to your friends?

If you don't like something, maybe not. But we're talking a professional reviewer here, who is being paid to watch the show. He's not "wasting his time". He is doing his job. If I decided to half-ass every assignment I didn't enjoy doing at my job, I'd be straight out of a job right now.
I can't take a professional reviewer seriously who has only watched 3 out of 10 episodes. Especially when 2 of those episodes were the first two of a new show. For instance, if I had made my judgment of shows I absolutely love, like The Expanse, like Rick & Morty, like Final Space or like Black Mirror based on the first two episodes of the first season, then I would probably not have continued watching those shows. Instead I gave the shows a chance and they developed themselves into things I sincerely enjoy watching. On the other hand, I forced myself through sesaon 1 of Star Trek Discovery and it was terrible. That happens, but even though it cost me my own private time, I don't even feel that bad about it.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 12-29-2019 01:00 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:

The Witcher was very good in the end - I very much enjoyed it.

It hoped around a bit and it took a bit of time to get used to it, but I think it was worth it.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 12-29-2019 02:49 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I started watching the blacklist. I know it's been out a while but I never gave it a chance because I thought it looked like shit. I'm about 20 episodes in and I gotta say, my first impression was right.

I enjoyed the witcher but they really should have made it a touch more obvious when they were jumping back and forth in the timeline. I also like boobs.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 12-29-2019 06:31 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

20 episodes of a shit show?

Network television :olo:

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 12-30-2019 03:14 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
I enjoyed the witcher but they really should have made it a touch more obvious when they were jumping back and forth in the timeline. I also like boobs.

Agreed. It was a bit confusing at first...the timeline not the bewbs :toothy:

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 01-02-2020 03:11 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

For all man kind on Apple TV is fucking brilliant.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 01-02-2020 03:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:
For all man kind on Apple TV is fucking brilliant.

That's great to know as I started to record a while ago, yet to watch some 10 episodes if I recall.

Never mind. Here is the IMDB clicky.

....and just checked to find series 2 is go for launch :D

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 01-03-2020 09:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
Κracus wrote:

Agreed. It was a bit confusing at first...the timeline not the bewbs :toothy:

Thank god I’m not the only one. I’m 4 episodes in and have had several wtf moments due to the timeline jumping. But I’m really enjoying it...

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 01-03-2020 11:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wait til episode 5

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 01-03-2020 07:01 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You’re right, great episode.

And god damn, Yennefer... :eek: :drool:

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 01-03-2020 08:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Watchmen was absolutely fantastic. Especially the last two episodes.

Witcher was meh. The timeline jumping was stupid. Would have been interesting if they played it as a useful plot mechanic like in Memento, but as is it just breaks the storytelling and makes the scene cuts rather jarring.

The Expanse was pretty good. The whole Mars/Earth subplots I lost interest in though.

TODO list:
Mandalorian
Mr. Robot

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 01-03-2020 09:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sounds familiar this Mr. Robot... ... Started 2016 and still going, now at season 4. Interesting and on my list now :)

EDIT: 1 A day later and 2 episodes down from season 1 and yes it is interesting :up:

EDIT 2: Episodes 3 & 4 down, still very interesting :up:

EDIT 3: Episodes 5, 6 & 7 down.... Captivating.

Some startling reveals towards the end of and in episode 8 :paranoid: :eek:

Season 2 E4 done :up:

Last edited by Whiskey 7 on 01-08-2020 09:23 PM, edited 3 times in total.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 01-04-2020 11:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
Watchmen was absolutely fantastic. .........................

Hmm, I saw snippets and it does look like my 'cup of tea' and very interesting indeed... My many thanks for the suggestion :up: :up:

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 01-06-2020 03:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dracula

First episode is great (9/10).
Second is okay (7/10).
Third is garbage (3/10) but has some interesting moments.

These moments are all due to van helsing.

Not only in the last ep but also stealing every scene throughout the show.
Reason enough for me not regretting having watched it all.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 01-06-2020 03:56 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Finished The Witcher last night. Really enjoyed it. Ready for Season 2...

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 01-07-2020 07:02 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I quite enjoyed Dracula, the 3rd episode was a bit of a letdown in comparison to the first 2 which were amazing.

Also watched The Messiah, I wasn't going to bother with it at first, seemed too serious at first glance but give it a shot. Great acting, good story and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 01-07-2020 07:09 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Have you seen the Dracula billboard? It's pretty cool

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/DangerousDisc ... mobile.mp4

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 01-07-2020 07:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Vid won't load :/

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 01-07-2020 07:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
Vid won't load :/

What a bitch!
I updated the post with a direct link to the video

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 01-07-2020 07:23 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh that might be why, gfycat stuff is usually blocked at my work.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 01-10-2020 10:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Topic: Re: Currently watching..... on the TV

Mr. Robot.... Really good but the start of S2E6 has me confused :confused: The momentary appearance of ALF and the slapstick comedy with laugh tracks? Doing my head in...

Who is/was/what is ALF I hear so this clip is to remind you :D

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.