Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Doom Eternal

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Doom Eternal

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 03-20-2020 06:28 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the whole game has a bit of a q2 vibe to it so far.

what about the sound when you launch a grenade into the caco's mouth? Also you get a grenadelauncher in map01.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-20-2020 07:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The glory kill on a zombie when you punch its head between it's shoulder is so cute.
It feels much more arcade-ish than its 2016 predecessor. And you're right about the Quake 2 vibe. There's a bit of a militaristic undertone. Just look at the UI design. Looks like it's ripped straight out of Quake 4.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 03-20-2020 08:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
I'm sorry, but that "rubber-stretchy, pop!" sound the cacodemon's eye makes when you pull it out in a glory kill is pushing it a bit on the cartoon scale :owned:

I think it's just the right amount of cartoon. :smirk: :up:

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 03-20-2020 01:55 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh shit it's the Pagans from Q3TA.
Also I'm reading some of the codec entries and the Doom1 end of episode story music starts playing.
Hype is real.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 03-21-2020 12:03 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah it's fucking excellent so far :D

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 03-21-2020 02:25 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Some subtle (and not so subtle) Easter eggs, referencing the Strogg, Black Mesa and the Liandri Corporation.

Also arachnotrons can get fucked :mad: :mad:

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 03-21-2020 08:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
this game is even faster than doom2016 was.
Playing on UltraViolence (as you should) and the amount of pickups is very low. You really need to manage your resources by glorykilling and chainsawing your enemies.

Also you can shoot body parts off now. Very reminiscent to Quake2 with the pain skins.

Yeah...Ultra Violence on PS4 is rather difficult...I will save that for my PC run through.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-22-2020 09:21 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
Oh shit it's the Pagans from Q3TA

I noticed the name Khan of the Night Sentinels. Is this what you're referring to? There was a bit named Khan in Team Arena, from the Pagans clan.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-22-2020 09:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
MKJ wrote:
this game is even faster than doom2016 was.
Playing on UltraViolence (as you should) and the amount of pickups is very low. You really need to manage your resources by glorykilling and chainsawing your enemies.

Also you can shoot body parts off now. Very reminiscent to Quake2 with the pain skins.

Yeah...Ultra Violence on PS4 is rather difficult...I will save that for my PC run through.

Man, I'm playing hurt me plenty and having a very nasty time with that first Slayer Gate.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 03-22-2020 12:41 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I decided to revisit that slayer gate. After a while powered up hell knights show up and wreck your shit.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 03-22-2020 01:44 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Don Carlos wrote:

Man, I'm playing hurt me plenty and having a very nasty time with that first Slayer Gate.

I am afraid I am down to Hurt me Plenty on PS4, but then I have done the first Slayer Gate fairly easily...

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 03-27-2020 07:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I played through on UV and am working on Nightmare ATM. I had a hard time getting the meta game down at first, it's like a war of attrition where you gotta keep your resources up with your abilities and switch weapons constantly. You also gotta run in circular patterns around the arena, trying to avoid getting locked into a corner. The old Doom games are about not really moving unless you have to, you can slightly strafe and keep your positioning to avoid enemies, but if you try that here you get slammed with enemy fire and swarmed cuz they're so relentless. especially when they throw a lot of pressure demons at you, who try to rush you down.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-27-2020 11:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm not even that far into the game but jeez, I find it's quite a bit more difficult than the 2016 game.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 03-28-2020 01:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So I have encountered a glitch that might force me into restarting the game; I picked up the rocket launcher (I think) and the next time I played the game it had gone from my inventory.

Can anyone confirm if they have the launcher and where they picked it up? Just which episode will be fine.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-28-2020 01:52 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I got it in the ice level. I think that's the third level?

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 03-28-2020 02:07 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah...so it's glitched my rocket launcher away. That is a pain.

So, I will start again :/

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-28-2020 04:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That sucks :-/

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 03-28-2020 05:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DooMer wrote:
I played through on UV and am working on Nightmare ATM. I had a hard time getting the meta game down at first, it's like a war of attrition where you gotta keep your resources up with your abilities and switch weapons constantly. You also gotta run in circular patterns around the arena, trying to avoid getting locked into a corner. The old Doom games are about not really moving unless you have to, you can slightly strafe and keep your positioning to avoid enemies, but if you try that here you get slammed with enemy fire and swarmed cuz they're so relentless. especially when they throw a lot of pressure demons at you, who try to rush you down.

Fucking Doom Hunters man. I'm dreading the Marauders.
This reminds me very much of how Serious Sam 1 played. Every new heavy monster was like a mini boss that made you go "this is ridiculous how is this even possible" and then added them to the default roster :toothy:

btw I feel like those carcasses or what are they called really don't fit the flow of the game, with their random energy shields plopping down. A swift sticky bomb is what they get from me.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 03-29-2020 01:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
That sucks :-/

I just replayed the mission, pick it up again and now I have it in my arsenal in the campaign. Have it sooner would have made the previous few levels a hell of a lot easier though!

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 03-29-2020 01:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
btw I feel like those carcasses or what are they called really don't fit the flow of the game, with their random energy shields plopping down. A swift sticky bomb is what they get from me.

Yes, I dislike them immensely. They feel like they belong in a Quake reboot.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 03-29-2020 03:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ugh I've been hit with a bug as well. My control settings are all reset to default even tho the menu still shows my preferences. Reverting to default and reconfiguring doesn't help, it's stuck at default settings.

So now I have to relearn the controls during firefights. A huge inconvenience and has resulted in many a death last night. :(

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 03-29-2020 09:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So the last two levels haven't provided me with the purple keys to do the super hard challenges. So I've just quit the game to see if that changes things...

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 03-29-2020 03:17 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

are you guys on pc or console?
haven’t encountered any bugs yet.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 03-29-2020 03:59 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Console, tho my bug also happens on pc Ive read, same with the rocket launcher bug
My bug corrected itself, mid fight I might add :dork:

Btw can we all agree that skirmishing in the Riptorium with Q3DM6 music playing is fucking awesome? kthx.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 03-29-2020 05:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Feels like they went way too cartoony with this, first game IMO nailed the balance of fun and dark.

The Hell on Earth backdrops are beautiful though, just the kind of thing I've wanted since playing Doom 2 :o

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 03-29-2020 07:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Haven't played it but I hear it's gay...

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 03-30-2020 12:51 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
So the last two levels haven't provided me with the purple keys to do the super hard challenges. So I've just quit the game to see if that changes things...

This was my fault; I went back to the first level and put cheats on to quickly grab a collectable I missed and didnt turn them off. So even though they dont work on levels you haven't played, it still registers as being active and takes away the keys.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 03-30-2020 05:06 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

scared? wrote:
Haven't played it but I hear it's gay...

Right up your alley...

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 03-30-2020 05:29 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Exactly where he likes it

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 03-30-2020 05:43 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Zing!

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 03-30-2020 08:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:
Feels like they went way too cartoony with this, first game IMO nailed the balance of fun and dark.

The Hell on Earth backdrops are beautiful though, just the kind of thing I've wanted since playing Doom 2 :o

It's not too cartoony, but then at some points it is, its a strange beast. They went "hey you guys liked Doom2016 right? Well here's all the things you liked times one hundred" and messed up the balance in the process. The core gameplay loop is still there and expanded upon, but the whole "Doomguy doesn't give an f about your exposition" went out the window, now with cutscenes and expanded lore that you're supposed to care about.
Not sure if I like that aspect but as said, the gameplay is topnotch. And Mick Gordon's soundtrack mixed in with Robert Prince's just tickles me where I like it.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 03-30-2020 08:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Way too cartoony for the most part. How the lore and exposition was presented in 2016 was perfect, but now with cutscenes and dialogue it's a complete 180.

They made Doomguy look like some metal-nerd badass showing off his custom PC and toy collection so the reddit virgins could imagine themselves being him and having their own fortress of solitude. It's pretty cringe-worthy in some parts.

The fights are the best part so far but the expanded platforming feels out of place for a game with DOOM in the title.

I'm having fun with it, but overall 2016 felt like a better game.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-30-2020 12:37 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doom 2016 was 100% new and fresh. This is 40% new and fresh on account of it being 60% similar to Doom 2016. So it's 1 - 0 behind from the start.

What's strange about Doom Eternal is that it feels like on one hand they tried to flesh out a more well rounded story and more and make it flow more like a narrative driven game, but on the other hand, they made it more arcadey in terms of how it plays.

I think I prefer this one's combat over the previous one. It's a bit more dynamic. And the combat is what Doom really is about.
I actually enjoy the platforming as well. It's untypical for not just a Doom game but for FPS games in general. I think they've implemented it really well and I like how those platforming mechanics (jumppads and swing poles mostly) allow you to move around an arena section really quickly.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 03-31-2020 10:37 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Modern shooters are so slow.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 04-01-2020 12:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's fucking incredible

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.