Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        no coronavirus thread ?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: no coronavirus thread ?

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 05-01-2020 08:41 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eh... 145 isn't really that crazy if you're on a highway. 270 tho...

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 05-01-2020 09:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's a dick move.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 05-01-2020 09:56 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'd argue that if you lose control at 145 you were probably going to crash at any speed.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 05-01-2020 10:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm sure those wild turkeys or deer are just as confident in your ability to maintain control, too. :rolleyes:

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 05-01-2020 10:59 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bro the deer around here are evolving. My neighborhood is absolutely swamped with deer, you cannot drive down my street without encountering deer, I'll generally spot 6 or 7 in the 2km road that leads to my house it's ridiculous. That said, one day I was driving and saw deer dashing towards the road at a full sprint and I could tell we were going to meet up in the middle of the road so I slowed down to let them cross... Well call me fucking surprised when I saw the deer also stop when it saw me coming. It stayed on the sidewalk until I drove by too. I couldn't fucking believe it.

The highways around here however have fencing along most highways. There's rarely deer or moose on the roads and I wouldn't be doing 140 in a residential area so...

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 05-01-2020 11:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

All the more reason not to drive irresponsibly. If you know the fences are going to stop deer from getting on the road, and then there happens to be a busted section and deer get out there anyway, you're less likely to be vigilant. Relying on smart deer to prevent an accident has got to be the stupidest thing I've heard, so much so that I assume you're trolling. :arrow:

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 05-01-2020 12:09 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cmon dude, don't you want to test it out? Just keep driving, the deer will legit stop. Maybe..

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-01-2020 01:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Reported cases

23 Apr 2,639,824

25 Apr 2,910,767

27 Apr 3,051,105

29 Apr 3,139,471

1 May 3,389,933

Source #1
Source #2

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 05-01-2020 04:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
mrd wrote:
Driving to work at 145km/h every day is fun :olo:

Im sure the hospitals will find this equally hilarious. It's not like they have anything else to do at the moment.

lol 145 really is nothing even on a bike, everyone does that here on major highways when conditions are good and traffic is flowing. Just use Waze to watch for the speed trap cruisers and you're good.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-01-2020 09:37 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Depends if you're talking kmh or mph. In mph, 145 is awfully fast.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 05-02-2020 01:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

he's clearly talking kmh, judging from the post he's quoting a few inches above the one you just made :alert:

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 05-02-2020 11:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:
lol 145 really is nothing even on a bike, everyone does that here on major highways when conditions are good and traffic is flowing.

Just because everyone else does it doesn't make it safe. I mean seriously? That's some middle school logic on display right there. At 145kph, if someone ahead of you crashes or stops abruptly (or a deer jumps into the road), you will travel at least 25 meters before you can even start to brake. Then it takes another 125 meters to come to a full stop. Unless you're keeping a football field and a half between you and the driver ahead, you're taking a huge risk at that speed.

But by all means, risk your life. I'm sure the nurses and doctors will appreciate your cavalier attitude as they fix your degloved hand or leg. :up:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-02-2020 11:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

To be honest, until recently, max top speed on highways was 130km/h in the Netherlands. 145km/h isn't that much faster. Not saying doing 145km/h is just carte blanche okay, but it's not like it's the most reckless thing ever. Also depends on the actual speed limit of the road you're on. Absolute speed isn't the biggest problem, speed differences between vehicles more so.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 05-02-2020 12:05 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

what we arguing about

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 05-02-2020 12:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
Captain Mazda wrote:
lol 145 really is nothing even on a bike, everyone does that here on major highways when conditions are good and traffic is flowing.

Just because everyone else does it doesn't make it safe. I mean seriously? That's some middle school logic on display right there. At 145kph, if someone ahead of you crashes or stops abruptly (or a deer jumps into the road), you will travel at least 25 meters before you can even start to brake. Then it takes another 125 meters to come to a full stop. Unless you're keeping a football field and a half between you and the driver ahead, you're taking a huge risk at that speed.

But by all means, risk your life. I'm sure the nurses and doctors will appreciate your cavalier attitude as they fix your degloved hand or leg. :up:

I don't know what bikes you've been riding, but I can stop mine at that speed in way less than 125 meters. 145kph/90 mph is not that fast. In congested traffic it would be foolish of course.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 05-02-2020 01:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:

I can tell you don't have much driving experience, which is fine, but you're going by a number that looks fast to you on paper when in reality it's very common on expressways. We are talking low traffic on an expressway, daytime, in an area with no animal crossings, and good road conditions. Calm down dude.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 05-02-2020 03:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm just looking out for you, brother.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 05-02-2020 03:37 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Until the gravitational forces exerted on your body start sending danger warnings to your brain you're probably fine. Happens anytime I'm over 240.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 05-02-2020 04:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
I'm just looking out for you, brother.

<3

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-02-2020 10:39 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Scourge wrote:
Transient wrote:

I don't know what bikes you've been riding, but I can stop mine at that speed in way less than 125 meters. 145kph/90 mph is not that fast. In congested traffic it would be foolish of course.

145kph is over 40m/s.
Since you take up to 2 seconds to respond to anything happening before you, you'll have covered about 80m before you even start braking. His 25 meters is a gross underestimation. The actual stopping distance, at a speed of roughly 130km/h is somewhere between around 80 to 90 meters. Sure, that's less than the 125m Transient mentioned, but we are talking about speeds 15km/h above that and the total stopping distance would actually be somewhere around 160 meters, which isn't that far off (and slightly above) the total distance Transient put out there (25 + 125).

In the grand scheme of things, on a highway with a 130km/h speed limit, with no or light traffic and good visibility, I don't feel 145km/h is taking excessive risk, however, it isn't something that should be considered normal, because when push comes to shove, 145km/h is awfully fast. Not because it's above the speed limit, but because in general, the speeds we move at in traffic are pretty damn fast to begin with.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 05-03-2020 02:32 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lol... 2 second reaction time. Are you even conscious?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-03-2020 04:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You're severely underestimating how long this stuff takes. Read the article I linked or search a bit for other articles on driver reactiontime. 2 seconds isn't abnormally long.

The thing that throws you a curve ball here is the fact that if you do a reaction speed test, your brain is ready and primed to respond to something you know is coming, just not when. The amount of time you need to be alert like this is often mere seconds.

In traffic, you aren't primed like that, no matter how good or experienced a driver you are. It really takes significant time for your brain to process and realize that something happened that you need to respond to. It also takes significant time for your brain to instruct your foot to let go off the throttle and press the brake pedal (or your hand to let go of the throttle and pull the brake lever).

Undoubtedly you will disagree based on non-existent anecdotal evidence because you are Kracus, after all. Just know that you are wrong.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 05-03-2020 05:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm not sure you're even bothering.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-03-2020 08:13 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain is a champion at writing grammatically correct sentences which still have a habit of leaving the observer completely unsure of the semantics of it all.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 05-03-2020 10:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i thought this was the coronavirus thread, not-the-pointless-flexing-over-how-fast-you-can-ride-your-hog thread :dts:

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 05-03-2020 10:32 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
You're severely underestimating how long this stuff takes. Read the article I linked or search a bit for other articles on driver reactiontime. 2 seconds isn't abnormally long.

The thing that throws you a curve ball here is the fact that if you do a reaction speed test, your brain is ready and primed to respond to something you know is coming, just not when. The amount of time you need to be alert like this is often mere seconds.

In traffic, you aren't primed like that, no matter how good or experienced a driver you are. It really takes significant time for your brain to process and realize that something happened that you need to respond to. It also takes significant time for your brain to instruct your foot to let go off the throttle and press the brake pedal (or your hand to let go of the throttle and pull the brake lever).

Undoubtedly you will disagree based on non-existent anecdotal evidence because you are Kracus, after all. Just know that you are wrong.

I'm always ready unlike the koalas they must be getting their stats from.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-03-2020 12:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Reported cases

23 Apr 2,639,824

25 Apr 2,910,767

27 Apr 3,051,105

29 Apr 3,139,471

1 May 3,389,933

3 May 3,555,338

Source #1
Source #2

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 05-03-2020 05:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
mrd wrote:
Driving to work at 145km/h every day is fun :olo:

Im sure the hospitals will find this equally hilarious. It's not like they have anything else to do at the moment.

I drive the freeway to work, it is pretty straight for the most part, and there is almost nobody on the road at all right now. 145 would be the absolute top end speed I'd hit, it's not like I fly out of my driveway at 145km/h and drive that fast all the way to work :olo: Generally I cruise on the freeway around 100 to 120km/h if conditions are good :cool:

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 05-03-2020 05:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Also I don't have wild turkeys or fuckin' deer roaming across my freeways, they are all fenced off. Anyway back to regularly scheduled program of corona viruses :dts:

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-03-2020 10:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

mrd wrote:
Also I don't have wild turkeys or fuckin' deer roaming across my freeways, they are all fenced off. Anyway back to regularly scheduled program of corona viruses :dts:

Turkeys, deer and freeways :p and we have kangaroos...

Re: no coronavirus thread ?

There was a slight lift in restrictions for this long weekend (Monday a Public Holiday celebrating ( :smirk: ) May Day) with misbehaviour by some so I wait to see the repercussions...

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 05-04-2020 02:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sounds like brazil don't give a fuck. There's estimates of 30% mortality rates in favelas.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-04-2020 03:35 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bolsonaro is time and time again proving he's a complete dimwit and a moron.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 05-04-2020 05:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The modern fascist is not known for its intellect.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 05-04-2020 06:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

CDC numbers of excess deaths suggest many unreported covid deaths lol?...

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covi ... deaths.htm

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 05-04-2020 01:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:

145kph is over 40m/s.
Since you take up to 2 seconds to respond to anything happening before you, you'll have covered about 80m before you even start braking. His 25 meters is a gross underestimation. The actual stopping distance, at a speed of roughly 130km/h is somewhere between around 80 to 90 meters. Sure, that's less than the 125m Transient mentioned, but we are talking about speeds 15km/h above that and the total stopping distance would actually be somewhere around 160 meters, which isn't that far off (and slightly above) the total distance Transient put out there (25 + 125).

In the grand scheme of things, on a highway with a 130km/h speed limit, with no or light traffic and good visibility, I don't feel 145km/h is taking excessive risk, however, it isn't something that should be considered normal, because when push comes to shove, 145km/h is awfully fast. Not because it's above the speed limit, but because in general, the speeds we move at in traffic are pretty damn fast to begin with.

If we're still talking bikes here, I'm going to disagree with that stopping distance. And I know you crotch rocket riders have better brakes than I do.

Also, the traffic is also moving at similar speed and will not come to a complete stop immediately even with a wreck. This will increase your needed stopping distance. I-20 here is a shit show in the afternoons. Even driving my work truck, I have no problems stopping in plenty of time at that speed to avoid collisions. Happens quite frequently with the slower traffic going said 130kph and most going 136-145kph.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.