Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        no coronavirus thread ?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: no coronavirus thread ?

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-19-2020 12:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
US deaths are a sniff away from 100k...that is frightening

That is really frightening.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-20-2020 09:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pext wrote:
I think the best course of action is to have some kind of lockdown until the number of infections per capita is below a certain threshold. Then subsequently reopen, while analyzing the impact of the different lockdown measures.

For example: Most of Germany did pretty well with simply restricting the size of gatherings to (effectivey) 2 to 5 persons while closing restaurants and shops for a while. The parts where strict lockdowns where imposed (for example Bavaria) did not do better than other parts. So: There seems to be no need to stay at home all day if you have good social distancing. I went out on small hikes, bike cruises and played ping pong with my SO in the park without any problems.

We need to find out what measures are the most effective and stick to these.

Also: If a certain area/city/county experiences a big second wave, reimpose lockdown measures ASAP until the growth is halted.

Bavaria did not really have stricter rules than the other states, afaik. We allowed people from the same household to meet outside, do sports together, go grocery-shopping together, etc. And we were allowed to visit relatives to "help them". So, I visited my parents 3 or 4 times during the 9 weeks. And there was not a single sign of more police-force on the streets than there usually is. So, it was all quite chill in the end. It was by far no strict lockdown like the weeks Italiens had to endure. It was more of a shutdown than a lockdown.
Fortunately people kept calm and behaved rationally for the most part.

It really is only now during the last two weeks that the irrational folk come out in some significant numbers to protest against the shutdown-measures.
Which is weird as we are opening up exactly now.
These demonstrations are also strange in the conglomeration of people attending them. They come from all over the political spectrum and demo together. There are ultra-leftists, hippies, esoterics, self-proclaimed economy-experts, conspiracy-loonies and right-wingers up to antisemites all together sometimes. As seen in Stuttgart last Saturday with 5000 people. They are united by the belief that the gouvernement ("them") are stripping away some basic rights.
Freedom of speech, freedom of movement, freedom of gathering, freedom of self-control over one's body and all that.
They are mostly wrong in their very over-exaggerating opinions but they are loud and annoying, also and especially on social media.

Fortunately none of my relatives here in Germany share any of their beliefs and I'm actually proud of how rational my old parents handle the situation.

We've had opening day for a family-oriented-exhibition today. It was a pain in the ass and expensive to fulfill all the official reglementations.
We've had 0 visitors, not a single one. Granted, the PR-departement did fuck up. Advertisement wasn't present really.
Stil, it shocked all of us. ZERO...
Well, holidays are gonna start june 2nd. We lay our hopes on those two weeks. If those fail then we are in trouble.

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 05-20-2020 02:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
US deaths are a sniff away from 100k...that is frightening

It all depends on what you're looking at. If you look at it as we have nearly 5 times the population but only 3 times more dead than the UK, then that puts a different light on it. I'm using the data from the links Whiskey posts btw. And all I'm saying is that if you look at it from perspectives other than total deaths, then there are some that are worse comparatively and of course a lot that are better. We just seem to be getting singled out a bit.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 05-20-2020 03:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Probably has to do with America for decades trying to dictate what other countries do while being a third-world failed state itself.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-20-2020 04:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Scourge wrote:
... We just seem to be getting singled out a bit.

I wasn't targeting the USA it's just that is is a frightening number for a nation.

Looking for stats, Covid death as percentage of population and found this site of interest. I've yet to drill down the numbers but everyone knows or understands I trust, there are lies, damn lies and statistics .

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 05-20-2020 04:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:
Probably has to do with America for decades trying to dictate what other countries do while being a third-world failed state itself.

So, more personal feelings than facts. Got it.

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 05-20-2020 04:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
Scourge wrote:
... We just seem to be getting singled out a bit.

I wasn't targeting the USA it's just that is is a frightening number for a nation.

Looking for stats, Covid death as percentage of population and found this site of interest. I've yet to drill down the numbers but everyone knows or understands I trust, there are lies, damn lies and statistics .

There are some on the first link you post with the totals and currently the US is showing to be 12th on deaths per 1 million population. But, we're at the top of the list in other areas like total deaths, active cases, total recovered, etc. Lots of different ways to look at it. Looking at it with just deaths per million it's not really that high of a number compared to some, but as a total it looks worse.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 05-20-2020 05:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Scourge wrote:
Captain Mazda wrote:

So, more personal feelings than facts. Got it.

Don't let your feelings cover the facts Randy :alert:

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 05-20-2020 08:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:

Don't let your feelings cover the facts Randy :alert:

You seem to be the one letting that happen. Regardless of your feelings toward America, the numbers are what they are. If you think I'm going to start trying to defend some of the fucked up shit our government has done, you're wrong. I'm not going to.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 05-20-2020 08:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You're right, there's nothing the richest nation in the world could've done about its lack of basic human needs like healthcare and having to dig mass graves for corpses like some kind of third-world failed state.

:alert:

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-20-2020 10:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

As you say Scourge, "Lots of different ways to look at it" and anyone can make whatever they like out of juggling the numbers, but it is sad all the same :tear: :tear:

Yes, cracked the 5M mark :tear: on reported cases.

15 May 4,539,401

17 May 4,788,005

19 May 4,964,373

21 May 5,090,977

Source #1
Source #2

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 05-21-2020 08:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:
You're right, there's nothing the richest nation in the world could've done about its lack of basic human needs like healthcare and having to dig mass graves for corpses like some kind of third-world failed state.

:alert:

I never said what could or couldn't have been done. :dork:
What I did say was some are better, some are worse. I'm not getting dragged into a political discussion. Have a nice day. <3

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 05-21-2020 08:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

"the numbers are what they are" implies this was more or less inevitable. I'm just glad Canada's not listening to its own retarded people and keeping the US border closed.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 05-21-2020 08:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Scourge wrote:
I never said what could or couldn't have been done. :dork:
What I did say was some are better, some are worse. I'm not getting dragged into a political discussion. Have a nice day. <3

Why do you even bother engaging this self hating Jihadist anyway. Baldzduh despises western government, culture and it's people so much that it precludes him from having impartial or non-stereotypical conversations. He doesn't even like the country he lives in. But what he hates most is the fact he's become so accustom to the lifestyle of an infidel that he's too big of a pussy to move back to his homeland or blow himself up for Allah. :olo:

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 05-21-2020 11:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Aren't you supposed to be ignoring me? :olo: My mere existence makes you seethe and dribble up a frothy mixture of saliva and peanutbutter, you lonely, spastic so desperate for attention and respect. I'd tell you to go crash your plastic two-wheeled minivan but it's too slow to overcome the drag from your empty blockhead :olo:

PS. Got you to show this post too :olo:

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 05-21-2020 03:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:
"the numbers are what they are" implies this was more or less inevitable. I'm just glad Canada's not listening to its own retarded people and keeping the US border closed.

No, it literally means what it says. It implies neither inevitability nor preventability. Throwing your political bias and personal feelings into it won't change them. Neither would mine.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 05-22-2020 05:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:

uhhh, this just shows the (entirely predictable) correlation between Covid cases and pop size. it would additional analysis, i.e. clustering or bubble size indicating mortality rate, to be useful

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-22-2020 11:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
uhhh, this just shows the (entirely predictable) correlation between Covid cases and pop size. it would additional analysis, i.e. clustering or bubble size indicating mortality rate, to be useful

Just different ways to look at the climbing numbers :tear:

Hmm, a bit of a jump in the global reported cases.

15 May 4,539,401

17 May 4,788,005

19 May 4,964,373

21 May 5,090,977

23 May 5,308,059

Source #1
Source #2

BTW, I try and post this every 2 days... ... ..

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 05-23-2020 04:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i wasn't having a go at you, just World in Data. their vizzes are usually on point but this one seems a bit lazy and unfinished

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-23-2020 02:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I didn't think for a moment you were having a go at me :D as I expect near all interpret 'data' differently to some degree.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 05-23-2020 02:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's kinda like the circumferences of gwamps' cranium. Any angle you interpret it from, the overwhelming scientific agreement is "gigantic block of shit".

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 05-23-2020 02:38 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I bet Gramps refuses to wear a mask...

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 05-23-2020 02:59 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's not that he refuses, per se. It's just that it's simply not possible to make one big enough.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 05-24-2020 10:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

a parachute?

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-24-2020 10:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

wear a grampa undie?

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 05-25-2020 01:59 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

He probably thinks it's safer without one. You can hear the rona coming that way.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-25-2020 12:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Global reported cases.

19 May 4,964,373

21 May 5,090,977

23 May 5,308,059

25 May 5,567,330

Source #1
Source #2

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 05-25-2020 01:55 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wow, half a mill in 4 days...

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 05-26-2020 03:14 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah...Brazil and Russia are posting big numbers

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 05-26-2020 05:59 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

And they're definitely inaccurate.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 05-26-2020 07:29 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:olo:

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 05-26-2020 10:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

US seems to have been stuck on 98k for a while. is orange fuckface suppressing the numbers for the sake of optics? what's the story...?

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 05-26-2020 10:49 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My guess is that it's getting warmer

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 05-26-2020 10:50 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 05-26-2020 10:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
US seems to have been stuck on 98k for a while. is orange fuckface suppressing the numbers for the sake of optics? what's the story...?

Whiskey's source #1 link is showing over 100,000. And is higher on world totals. Seems that one is a bit behind.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.