Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Currently watching..... on the TV

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Currently watching..... on the TV

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-19-2020 09:50 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Watched an episode of the Dutch version two days ago. It's amusing for a bit, but I suspect they selected the contestants based on their drama factor rather than their actual building skills.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 05-04-2020 11:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just finished this season of Westworld.

Has it jumped the shark? Maybe so. It’s not as good as it was, but still a decent watch. Apparently they’ve renewed it for another season...

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 05-04-2020 11:49 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Mandalorian

Excellent program; best Star Wars thing since Rogue One

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-04-2020 01:05 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
The Mandalorian

Excellent program; best Star Wars thing since Rogue One

The writer of the season finale of The Mandalorean is going to direct and co-write a new Star Wars feature film
https://www.starwars.com/news/taika-waititi-announce

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 05-04-2020 01:59 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yup

Very much looking forward to that; check out What we do in the Shadows and Thor Ragnarok for more of his work.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 05-04-2020 05:39 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ragnarok is probably my favorite Marvel film next to the Infinity War duo...

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 05-05-2020 09:51 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Infinity War was fucking excellent to be fair; probably my fav of the lot...though Iron Man was also excellent, as was GOTG

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 06-23-2020 02:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've started Breaking Bad and I'm into season 2 and I find it a good watch.

Funny enough, I got my hands on the DVD box set a year or so ago, watched glimpses and thought it wasn't for me then. Like any 'series' I suppose, watch one or two and you have to keep going.

IMDB wrote:
A high school chemistry teacher diagnosed with inoperable lung cancer turns to manufacturing and selling methamphetamine in order to secure his family's future.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 06-23-2020 04:29 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Breaking bad is amazing. I've been rewatching one punch man.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 07-11-2020 11:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

"For All Mankind" apple+ streaming thingy. Thumps up. Good show.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-12-2020 01:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Season 10 of Modern Family.
Great series.
I won't pretend the series doesn't suffer from a degredation of quality as the seasons go by, but compared to some other series that suffer from this badly, Modern Family has been able to hold up a level of consistency that's admirable. I actually think seasons 9 and 10 are better than season 8.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 07-12-2020 06:28 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yep, watched Modern Family through the years and was bummed to see it go. Always good for a few laughs. Phil is hilarious...

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 08-24-2020 06:52 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I just watch the first episode of High Score on Netflix. It’s about the golden age of gaming. Pretty good. Will continue to watch...

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 08-24-2020 10:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ferrao10 wrote:
"For All Mankind" apple+ streaming thingy. Thumps up. Good show.

I searched this out an scored, now ten episodes to binge watch soon. Thanks for the post Ferrao10 :up:

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 08-25-2020 02:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

bingeing on Filthy Frank for some reason

good old days of pootube

Mew Legs!
Mew Legs!
PostPosted: 08-26-2020 08:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Watching through Hell on Wheels. Completely missed it while it was on the air. The lady hates it, but I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 08-26-2020 06:49 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just watched episode 3 of High Score. The Gay Blade portion felt so forced. Had absolutely nothing to do with the golden age of gaming. Seemed like just an excuse to include the LBGT into a gaming documentary...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-14-2020 12:23 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Finished season 3 of Castlevania on Netflix. Best season so far. Can't wait for season 4!

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 09-14-2020 02:17 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Finished off season 3 of The Handmaid's Tale today.
Incredible program, with outstanding cinematography.
Should serve as a dire warning for our times; I could easily see the US going this way if the fascist crackpots and religious zealots push a little harder.

Regarding Castlevania, I loved season three too, but I'm kinda trepidatious about where it's going to go, given that the writer, Warren Ellis, has been let go over sexual predation accusations.

Apparently, season four may not suffer too much, as he'd already finished writing it by the time the accusations became public.

A shame, as I think the western style story-telling combined with the Japanese animation is what gives it its unique flavour. It manages to successfully avoid many of the tropes which I find annoying in more traditional manga.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-14-2020 08:56 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh man, why can't all these successful people stop thinking with their dicks? :|

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 09-15-2020 02:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Finished season 3 of Castlevania on Netflix. Best season so far. Can't wait for season 4!

Oh shit totally forgot about that

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 09-20-2020 02:41 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Despite the great set-piece in episode 3, so far I've been underwhelmed by season 2 of The Boys. It's lost a lot of the humour, and spends too much time being mopey.
The comics were notorious for going right to the limit of what you thought was acceptable, then pushing further.
Season 1 captured some of that lightning-in-a-bottle. Season 2 on the other hand feels like it's had its teeth pulled in comparison to the source material.

I hope it picks up; at the end of season 1, I appreciated the focus that Seth Rogan had brought to the story. If I have one criticism of the comics, it's that each collected trade paperback is like a standalone vignette, with the connective tissue between books being quite loose and chaotic.
Unfortunately, I think season 2 is proving that to work, The Boys needs a bit of chaos, and it currently doesn't have it.
There's a scene in the latest episode that would have been perfect if they hadn't lost their bottle at the last second.

Oh, and I watched Away, which overall was pretty damn tepid, despite a good effects budget. Rote and predictable storyline focussing on a new disaster every episode, while also focusing on a specific crew member for that episode.
I've watched so much good telly recently, and some bad stuff that's so bad it's good, that this came across as being offensively mediocre.

As for recommendations that you may not have watched, I can highly, highly recommend Tales from the Loop on Amazon Prime.
Probably my favourite thing I've watched all year, even eking out The Handmaid's Tale.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-20-2020 09:03 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I was considering giving Away a shot but from what I've been reading (including your little review) I think I'll give it a pass.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 09-20-2020 10:46 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Give it a go as filler TV, something to watch on a weekly basis while waiting for episodes of something you really like. It might work that way.

I also loved Doom Patrol season 2, but it felt like it ended too soon, with too many plot points unresolved.
It's not usually a bad thing for a TV show for the viewers to be left wanting more, but it could have done with one or two more episodes while still providing a cliffhanger ending to the season.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-21-2020 12:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:
Give it a go as filler TV

Yeah, I'm not exactly in need of "filler TV" right now :clownboat:
Still have to continue watching The Crown, The Good Place, Homeland, Black Mirror, The Expanse, Mr Robot, Better Call Saul (watching S05 now) and have to give Star Trek Picard and Dark a go as well.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 09-24-2020 02:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Long way up on Apple TV.

15000 miles on two electric bikes. It’s fascinating.

Last edited by Doombrain on 09-24-2020 06:59 AM, edited 1 time in total.

meh...
meh...
PostPosted: 09-24-2020 02:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Long way down and Long way round were great, really absorbing. Hopefully catch this new one when it comes out on dvd or w/e

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 10-27-2020 12:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Yeah, I'm not exactly in need of "filler TV" right now :clownboat:
Still have to continue watching The Crown, The Good Place, Homeland, Black Mirror, The Expanse, Mr Robot, Better Call Saul (watching S05 now) and have to give Star Trek Picard and Dark a go as well.

:arrow: Eraser.... Did you finish that Better Call Saul series? Is it as good as say Breaking Bad, Mr Robot and the like and worth watching?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-27-2020 01:24 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Been watching Better Call Saul with the missus and she's uh.... causing a bit of a hiatus in watching it. We're at episode 3 of season 5 (which is the most recent season).

It's really a must-see as far as I'm concerned. There are episodes that even out-do Breaking Bad. Put it on your watch list :)

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 10-27-2020 01:32 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

100% agree with that, Jerry. Absolutely outstanding television.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-27-2020 01:39 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh, having said that, I recently signed up for an Amazon Prime Video account, after learning it's only €2,99 a month here. I already binged through The Expanse season 4 and have watched most of Star Trek Picard.

That last one is an odd duck, by the way. It definitely feels more Trekkie than the abomination that is Star Trek Discovery, but every so often it suffers from terrible script writing and forced fan service. It's cool that a number of old Star Trek characters make an appearance, but their presence feels wholly unnecessary most of the time. Especially 7 of 9 who, like a textbook Deus Ex Machina example, jumps into the story out of nowhere, not once but twice is just jarring.
I like how Romulans play a big role in this series, and are true to how they were in TNG and DS9, although the super secret agent just has to be a young woman dressed in mostly leather with a presence like that of a second rate prostitute, which, again is a bit too trope-y for my tastes.

I could go on about a few other annoying characters (Picard's sword wielding ninja buddy is dumb as a brick and does inexplicable shit, the daughter of two familiar characters is too smartass for her own good, the pilot of Picard's space ship is a typical space cowboy who smokes and drinks booze, the scientist who tags along is this insecure "oh I'm so clumsy and have no idea what I'm doing giggle giggle" type, reminiscent of Discovery's Tilly) but what mostly needs to be said is that Patrick Stewart can't hide the fact he's 70+ years of age and really just a tad too old to be running around in space and jumping through hoops everywhere.

All in all, I found it an interesting experience to watch it, and it did tickle some of my nostalgic star trek lobes, but they need to up their game if they want season 2 to be a bit. This series can't survive on nostalgia alone.

Mew Legs!
Mew Legs!
PostPosted: 10-28-2020 06:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Is anyone else watching the new season of Fargo? It has been excellent so far.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 10-29-2020 02:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lieutenant Dan wrote:
Is anyone else watching the new season of Fargo? It has been excellent so far.

Sorry I haven't viewed any Fargo Lieutenant Dan but someone here must have, surely.

Thanks to all for giving the thumbs up to the Better Call Saul series. I've located and just started to view the first of the 50 episodes and looking forward to it :)

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 10-29-2020 03:51 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Didn't realise there was a season 4 of Fargo, thanks Lieutenant Dan!

Whiskey, Fargo is excellent. I never understood what all the fuss about Billy Bob Thornton was until I watched the first season.

You don't need to have seen the movie to watch the show, but I'd say it helps set the scene and certainly adds more flavour.

Season 2's probably the weakest of the first three seasons, but Fargo on a bad day is still better than 90% of other stuff out there.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 10-30-2020 03:33 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Watched La Révolution on Netflix, pretty awesome.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.