Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Car topic

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Car topic

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 07-02-2020 09:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I like cars. Figured I'd post about cars. What car do you drive? Are you cool like me and drive a GTI? I'd like to see it. I won't be posting pics of mine because reasons but check out this fucking amazing piece of machinery I came across that's so awesome I had to share it.

Fuckin awesome, if it was sold over here I'd buy one. It'd look nothing like that cause I don't have the knowledge or money to make it but that's totally what I'd convince myself I'm going to make it into some day.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 07-02-2020 09:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I drive an ‘88 Toyota Land Cruiser...

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 07-02-2020 09:14 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I actually love those... You keep it in good shape? They look pretty sick if you do them right.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 07-02-2020 09:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I drive a 2012 Hyundai Elantra. I got it specifically for the fuel economy, knowing I'd put a ton of miles on it for work. Turns out there was a class action lawsuit against Hyundai for lying about the mileage numbers and they have to reimburse all owners with prepaid gas debit cards depending on their odometer reading. So every year I go back to my dealership and they give me a card with about $300 on it. 190,000 miles and counting....

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 07-02-2020 10:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have an ex police unmarked Volvo. It still has the siren and the lights in the front grille, just they've been disconnected. I like it, it goes fast and has good brakes.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 07-02-2020 10:29 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
I drive a 2012 Hyundai Elantra. I got it specifically for the fuel economy, knowing I'd put a ton of miles on it for work. Turns out there was a class action lawsuit against Hyundai for lying about the mileage numbers and they have to reimburse all owners with prepaid gas debit cards depending on their odometer reading. So every year I go back to my dealership and they give me a card with about $300 on it. 190,000 miles and counting....

I actually had an elantra. Wanna hear a great Kracus story about how I got it?

So I'm at this party and it's getting late, like 3am and I'm headed home and get in the car, it's Canada in the middle of winter so my windows are all frosted. I'm driving my parents 1998 Pontiac sunfire and like an idiot I decide to show off when I back out of the parking lot by flooring the car and whipping it around like a cool guy. Well, due to the frosted rear window I didn't see the all black 2002 elantra parked behind me in what I still believe isn't a parking spot. So I bump into the rear quarter panel of this car and leave a nice dent. Believe it or not, I'm actually a decent human being and being the not dickbag that I am I leave my information under the guys wiper and offer to pay for the repairs.

Well a few weeks go by and I never get a call from this guy. 2 weeks later I'm starting to assume this dude must have lost my info but on week 3 I get a call from the guy. Damn. So he tells me that the car I hit was actually a demo car at a dealership that he works at. He said they tried selling it to a guy with the dent by offering him a discount but that he wasn't interested and that I'd have to now pay to have the dent fixed. I agree and hang up. 20 minutes later I call the guy back and I ask him how much they want for the whole car anyway? I might be looking for a car and I kinda liked how this one looked. It had chrome 5 spoke rims and was a bit sportier looking than most other elantra's, it wasn't a GT though.

So I wind up buying this elantra and the dealership cut me a small deal because of the damage to the car... ironic given I put the damage there but whatever. While I'm in the office, I'm looking at pics of the new Tiburon model that's being released in a few months and my jaw drops, I absolutely love the look of the tiburon but the salesman reminds me that I have to buy the elantra because that's the car I hit... So I buy it. I actually really liked this car, it was a 2002 Elantra and I had it for all of 3 months before I was involved in an accident that totaled the car. 2 weeks after that, I returned to the dealership and bought a 2003 tiburon. I loved that car, it was the same one involved in the cocaine fiasco if you recall THAT story... I still remember the salesman looking at me when I showed up to buy the Tiburon, he said "You planned this didn't you?".

:p

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 07-02-2020 10:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

phantasmagoria wrote:
I have an ex police unmarked Volvo. It still has the siren and the lights in the front grille, just they've been disconnected. I like it, it goes fast and has good brakes.

lol reconnect them, easy way through traffic congestion.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-02-2020 10:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I drive a very bourgeois 2017 Renault Megane Estate. Not a very exciting car but I think it looks nice and it does the job for a family with three kids.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 07-02-2020 10:35 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

They don't sell Renault cars around here but I like em. You could probably convert that into a sweet ride with a few little additions but yeah, family car and all that.

Here's my grocery getter btw, this thing is a fucking blast.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 07-02-2020 10:51 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
So I'm at this party and it's ge....

‘Click’

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 07-02-2020 10:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doomy's pride parade.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 07-02-2020 11:24 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
I actually love those... You keep it in good shape? They look pretty sick if you do them right.

I don’t have a pic of mine, but it looks like this. The exterior is in great shape, no rust. The interior needs some TLC. It’s my project. Runs good for 200k miles...

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 07-02-2020 12:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

2016 A5 Quattro. It had 33k on it when I bought it last March. It has around 68K now. Before Covid I'd drive at least 100 miles round trip a day for work. That doesn't include field visits to the west coast or the cape. I bought it because I knew I was going to be doing a lot of driving and wanted something that got good gas mileage and was still fun to drive.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 07-02-2020 12:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I remember when i used to drive poor cars like u guys... It was a living nightmare...

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 07-02-2020 12:54 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Too bad money doesn't buy taste..

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 07-02-2020 01:13 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah but what’s Geoff’s excuse?

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 07-02-2020 03:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YourGrandpa wrote:
2016 A5 Quattro. It had 33k on it when I bought it last March. It has around 68K now. Before Covid I'd drive at least 100 miles round trip a day for work. That doesn't include field visits to the west coast or the cape. I bought it because I knew I was going to be doing a lot of driving and wanted something that got good gas mileage and was still fun to drive.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. The most important selling point after the mileage was how comfy the driver's seat was. :up:

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 07-02-2020 04:16 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Another favorite of mine.

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 07-02-2020 05:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

2002 Trans Am. Not a WS6, but I'm ok with that.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 07-02-2020 06:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
Another favorite of mine.

Gawd, a Honda sports from the mid 60's.
My Uncle had one and I remember riding in it and my bum felt like it was on the bitumen :eek: and at speed, scary stuff for a young fellow.

Re: Car topic, here's our conveyance pictured in the yard just before we took ownership that day, March 2017 and I remain very happy :D

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 07-02-2020 10:38 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A 2014 VW Polo Highline. Im about to turn it in and get an ID.3 but I'm starting to have second thoughts.
Let's see what I end up next month.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 07-02-2020 11:28 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

2012 Audi A3 2.0 TDI with a few things done under the bonnet so it produces an eye watering 185bhp

I was going to sell it and get an S3 as the city I work in are banning diesels, but then Covid happened so they have pushed the derv ban back and it doesn't look like I will be back in the office that much. So I am keeping the A3 and seeing how it goes. It's only done 57k miles (30k of them done by me and all done with Shell V-Power fuel in). Funnily enough it's in for an MOT and a service today...I think I will need new brake pads and other than tyres and wipers, they will be the first thing I will have needed to replace on it in 4 years of ownership.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.