Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        What is new in your little world?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: What is new in your little world?

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 08-08-2020 08:55 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Does a guy riding a Harley get a swastika tatoo because he likes the design?

Maybe Gerry Conway can help you out.
Quote:
Punisher co-creator Gerry Conway has decried the use of the Punisher symbol by law enforcement, saying, "To me, it's disturbing whenever I see authority figures embracing Punisher iconography because the Punisher represents a failure of the Justice system. ... The vigilante anti-hero is fundamentally a critique of the justice system, an example of social failure, so when cops put the Punisher's skulls on their cars or members of the military wear Punisher's skull patches, they're basically siding with an enemy of the system."

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-09-2020 12:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Turn it around for once, Gramps. Ask yourself: why the punisher? Out of all possible symbols, someone decided to use the punisher, something that originally stands for the exact opposite of what you're trying to convey. Isn't that a little odd?
Sorry to Godwin this, but if someone organised a peace march for inclusivity, it'd be (more than) a little weird if they flew Nazi swastika flags with the annotation that their meaning is different from what the Nazi's used it for?

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 08-09-2020 01:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I always thought it was hugely ironic that the US military and SEALs adopted The Punisher skull. I think it's mostly just because they're stupid and think the symbol is cool rather than they identify with the idealogy. I bet gwamps hasn't even read The Punisher.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 08-09-2020 02:09 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

phantasmagoria wrote:
I always thought it was hugely ironic that the US military and SEALs adopted The Punisher skull. I think it's mostly just because they're stupid and think the symbol is cool rather than they identify with the idealogy. I bet gwamps hasn't even read The Punisher.

It's 100% about it looking cool than anything else. If you are in the military, especially in something like the SEALs you are programmed to be "the best" and you are cleaning up the world and punishing those who are wronging the world...*ahem*

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-09-2020 03:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

phantasmagoria wrote:

Another interesting point.
Militarization of the US police isn't enough, they want to identify with the same symbolism as well. Just shows how badly US cops want to be like military. It's rather pathetic.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 08-09-2020 03:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

https://www.salon.com/2019/04/28/the-pu ... eath-cult/

This article does a good job explaining the fascination with it.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 08-09-2020 04:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YourGrandpa wrote:
The Punisher isn't a popular comic book superhero. I'd argue most people know little to nothing about his fictional lore. So any type of direct comparison is assumptive at best. But if you chose to ignore that, does the guy in the gym have a Superman tattoo because he thinks he's the son of Jorel from the planet krypton who can fly around the world reversing time? Does the song Ice Ice baby by Vanilla Ice have the same meaning as Under pressure by Queen? Does Walk This Way by Aerosmith (even though it has the same name with the same band) have have the same meaning when performed with Run DMC? Of course not.

Holy shit, those are some stupid comparisons...

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 08-09-2020 04:56 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What’s worse? Gramps chose Punisher because of the ideology. Or cause he thinks skulls are badass? Both are pathetic...

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 08-09-2020 05:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

shaft wrote:
Does a guy riding a Harley get a swastika tatoo because he likes the design?

Maybe Gerry Conway can help you out.
Quote:
Punisher co-creator Gerry Conway has decried the use of the Punisher symbol by law enforcement, saying, "To me, it's disturbing whenever I see authority figures embracing Punisher iconography because the Punisher represents a failure of the Justice system. ... The vigilante anti-hero is fundamentally a critique of the justice system, an example of social failure, so when cops put the Punisher's skulls on their cars or members of the military wear Punisher's skull patches, they're basically siding with an enemy of the system."

I'll play along. The guy with a swastika tattoo was or is a Nazi/white supremacist. Now, does the guy with the superman tattoo think he's superman with all his history and powers or does he just like the logo. I guess you can continue to ignore a valid point to defend your incredibly bias, unfounded opinion and pretend it makes no sense that someone would appropriate an idea, artwork, symbol or music to re-purpose it, when that happens ALL the time... Ignorance is bliss. Enjoy.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 08-09-2020 08:08 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Guy with superman tattoos can’t be or become an unkillable hero from krypton therefore the tattoo is about the ideology of superman not because he likes the letter S squished in a diamond shape.

You throwing the words “incredibly bias” or “unfounded” when all I did was state the Punishers ideology and directly quote the creator of the character makes you look like a fucking mong who doesn’t know the meaning of words as well as the symbols.

Really not surprising you think its too big brain that anyone would dare look at very specific symbols you’re combining on a flag and not just consider the color and design.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 08-09-2020 09:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

shaft wrote:
Guy with superman tattoos can’t be or become an unkillable hero from krypton therefore the tattoo is about the ideology of superman not because he likes the letter S squished in a diamond shape.

You throwing the words “incredibly bias” or “unfounded” when all I did was state the Punishers ideology and directly quote the creator of the character makes you look like a fucking mong who doesn’t know the meaning of words as well as the symbols.

Really not surprising you think its too big brain that anyone would dare look at very specific symbols you’re combining on a flag and not just consider the color and design.

I don't think it's "too big brain" at all. I simply think it's above you and dumb enough for CNN.

Just because you can extrapolate the literal meaning behind something and apply it to something else, doesn't make you right. You're assigning a meaning to the flag based on a biased opinion of law enforcement. Which is just as wrong as assigning the male gender to a transitioning female because she was born with a penis. You've got an opinion and that's it. Quit waving it around like it's fact.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 08-09-2020 10:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Does anyone even know what the point Gramps is even trying to make? This dipshit is more incoherent than red font guy... Pathetic...

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 08-09-2020 10:50 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah it’s incredibly bias to say that Punisher ideology and law enforcement are completely opposite.

This was a discussion about your dumb flag conflating the two symbols. One can apply the literal meaning of symbols when one specifically combines two symbols on a flag which is used to represent the bearers values and beliefs.

In your case it’s either i’m a dumbass who thinks cops should be like the punisher or i’m an idiot who likes skulls and symbolism is lost on me.

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 08-09-2020 10:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

After reading the article Kracus posted, I'm interested Gwamps, did you get your flag to advertise that you're a white supremacist or because you think it's a cool symbol and didn't realise the connotations when you bought it?

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 08-09-2020 11:03 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Found a better flag for you gwamps...

If anyone asks about it just say you like boots, snakes and the color yellow is awesome.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 08-09-2020 11:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lol... God damn Gramps is a moron.. :olo: ...

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 08-09-2020 11:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

shaft wrote:
Found a better flag for you gwamps...

If anyone asks about it just say you like boots, snakes and the color yellow is awesome.

:olo: :olo: :olo:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-09-2020 12:48 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

"Have you noticed that our caps actually have little pictures of skulls on them.... Are we the baddies?" :olo:

EDIT: This video is a joke of course, but it hits a big truth as well. The article Kracus linked mentions this as well: even without the backstory and context of The Punisher, a (generic) skull as a symbol radiates death, destruction and hate rather than the message of safety and inclusivity the Thin Blue Line supporters want to convey (at least I assume and hope that's what they want).

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 08-09-2020 02:04 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
https://www.salon.com/2019/04/28/the-punisher-skull-unofficial-logo-of-the-white-american-death-cult/

This article does a good job explaining the fascination with it.

missed this. great article :up:

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 08-09-2020 02:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

U think gramps will read the article? Lol...

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 08-10-2020 04:55 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There's actually a small documentary I watched on the same subject and they go into detail about the skull, the blacked out police vehicles and other symbology associated with it. It's a pretty interesting subject and disconcerting to see how easily Americans are brainwashed into adopting these trends. Ironically while Gramps is calling everyone else brainwashed he's simultaneously mimicking these trends which are absolutely alt right in their origins. He's on the side of those who want their second amendment rights to protect themselves from the tyranny of government while pushing forward his own tyrannical governments agendas. The US is filled with crazy people like gramps, so disassociated with reality they are literally unable to see what's happening right in front of them.

Look into candy cane bracelets and Mar A Lago to see what you're idiot in chief has been up to. Trump is a disgusting narcissistic pedophile bent on using Russia's playbook in consolidating power and destroying a democracy. Plain and simple, if you don't see that you're obviously not looking.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 08-11-2020 01:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Re: What is new in your little world?

Me,, I am suffering cold/flu like symptoms :eek: and the first in years. Considering a CV test. Other than that, (re)building some of my Lego Technic :up:

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 08-11-2020 02:36 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don’t consider it. Do it...

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 08-11-2020 05:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Done.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 08-11-2020 08:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dead... Lol...

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 08-12-2020 08:07 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Broke my knee (tibia plateau), a finger, and lost a couple nails in a dirt bike accident in the Utah desert back in April. Still not allowed back to work yet.

Been a week since I had surgery to remove six of my teeth. I dont have many molars left and feel like ww3 was waged in my mouth.

Also got hit with covid back in early february; breathing was like trying to inhale through a honey-filled straw and I had fluid in the lining of my lungs. Sick for a month straight and had a 103 F degree fever for three days. Tested negative for flu a and b. They refused to test me for covid at the time and one doctor said "You would know if you have coronavirus" which was baffling because I was in the emergency room because I couldn't breathe and couldnt keep fluids down.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 08-12-2020 09:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Holy mackerel Silicone_Milk :tear:

I was going to say welcome back: Instead I'll send you best wishes for your recovery.

Post before this was 24 August 2019 so welcome back :) :D

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 08-12-2020 10:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DAMN! That is seriously messed up. Hope you make the best of your recovery.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-12-2020 10:57 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Jeez, 2020 really hit you hard.
Best wishes to you.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 08-13-2020 12:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Silicone_Milk wrote:
Broke my knee (tibia plateau), a finger, and lost a couple nails in a dirt bike accident in the Utah desert back in April. Still not allowed back to work yet.

Been a week since I had surgery to remove six of my teeth. I dont have many molars left and feel like ww3 was waged in my mouth.

Also got hit with covid back in early february; breathing was like trying to inhale through a honey-filled straw and I had fluid in the lining of my lungs. Sick for a month straight and had a 103 F degree fever for three days. Tested negative for flu a and b. They refused to test me for covid at the time and one doctor said "You would know if you have coronavirus" which was baffling because I was in the emergency room because I couldn't breathe and couldnt keep fluids down.

holy shit d00d :eek:

why did you get the teeth removed?

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 08-13-2020 01:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YourGrandpa wrote:
shaft wrote:
You're the one with the flag conflating two symbols that should have opposite ideologies.

Its not like you're sporting a thin blue line spider man flag, or batman, or any of the other crime fighting comic book characters who don't employ murder, kidnapping, extortion, coercion, threats of violence, and torture in their campaign against crime.

No, I'm afraid not. I bought a flag that I believe represents my support of patriotic warriors that risk their lives every day walking that thin blue line. You (probably not you) or some CNN think tank has chosen to research the lore of a little known fictional comic book character and conflate the two.

Fuck you, you're a fucking poser.

I worked law enforcement, did you? I'm guessing not because you wouldn't be licking boots unless you were a racist piece of shit too.

Jesus christ you're a god damn tool. Hahahahahahaha

Patriotic warriors. You mean racists fucks who get trained to act like judge dredd and not people who uphold the law?

keep on blowing on those cop dicks tho boot licker. LMFAO

Fuck 12.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-13-2020 01:33 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thank you for your insightful contribution

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 08-13-2020 05:19 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

He's just saying what we're all thinking.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-13-2020 07:19 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't think any of us have held back in saying what we think of Gramps

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 08-13-2020 07:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks guys. It's definitely been a rough year.
Teeth were removed because a few were broken and others were rotted beyond saving; exposed nerves in the lower jaw, abscesses in the upper jaw.
I was originally supposed to be getting root canals but the dental program I was with banned me after rescheduling one of my appointments without updating me on the new date and so I didn't show up since it was a day sooner than I was supposed to come in.
And so, I went for a couple years without getting the dental work done and it just all went to shit.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.