Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        What is new in your little world?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: What is new in your little world?

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 10-23-2020 08:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well the thing with these Threadripper processors is they're so packed with cores they generate a lot of heat. The only closed loop coolers that cover the whole IHS are made by Enermax and they have notoriously bad reputation for quality control. They're in a lot of shit for filling their coolers with sub standard water/no biocide and they're all clogging up with gunge.

At the moment I'm just cooling with a noctua uh14s; an air cooler designed for the Threadrippers, but even without an overclock on a long render it's getting well into the high 80s/low 90s degrees C and it sounds like a jet engine taking off.

Hopefully this will reduce both temps and noise and potentially render times from thermal throttling, might even try a light OC. All my bits are here..filling the loop this weekend.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 10-23-2020 11:55 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Steve @ Gamers Nexus has been on the beef train with Enermax for the clogging on the things. If you've not seen his videos, well worth a watch.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 10-24-2020 10:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

not my little world but they used to post here

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 10-24-2020 10:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Haha

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-24-2020 11:53 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ohh woww 7zark7 and his wife!
Them crazy stormtrooper helmet wearing kids

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 10-24-2020 12:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm convinced they shagged while wearing star wars paraphernalia. :olo: Didn't they use to post tons of photos of that stuff? :owned:

"And 7zark7 is always down, and some of these damn names I just can't pronounce"

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 10-24-2020 01:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol so weird seeing them wearing normal clothes. Really nice people though, I miss hanging out with them.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 10-24-2020 01:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There's a name from the past, 7zark7.

Yes, the stormtrooper pictures. I viewed on Flickr more that once :paranoid:
Wonder if they are still on Flickr? Yes :up:

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 10-24-2020 11:17 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Haha that's awesome

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 10-28-2020 04:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Earlier this summer, I convinced the GF to come biking with me along some trails in Toronto and along the lake shore, about 40km round trip. She doesn’t really bike but begrudgingly agreed. I was tired, she barely made it, but was a good ride and we both enjoyed it.

I had for some time wanted to bike a loop that circles the bulk of the city of Toronto, about 76km. Did it a few weeks ago with the GF who happily agreed to do it with me. I was really tired and took a few days to recover. She was also really tired but seem giddy about having finished it.

We kind of joked about biking from Toronto to Niagara Falls, ~150km, but I wasn’t serious about that at all. She psychologically manipulated me into doing it with her on Saturday. I blew a flat along the way in the middle of nowhere, was kind of worried though I had a spare tube and just a single compressed gas cartridge to fix it, thankfully inflated just fine. Arrived at Niagara Falls at sunset. Spent Sunday biking around Niagara, took the train back (thank god). She loved it. I’m worn out. My legs still hurt. She seems back to 100% already.

Now she’s talking about doing 300km Toronto to Kingston, Ontario! What have I done?!?!

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 10-28-2020 05:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah you're doomed bud. Next thing you know she's gonna be biking down to fuckin' South America.

Maybe sign her up for a triathalon which includes some sort of 120km bike ride after you've already run 20km and swam for 2km :dts:

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 10-28-2020 05:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

She’s actually been talking about triathlons and the Ironman, but she can’t swim so she’s trying to get me to train for that instead. Fuuuuuuuck!!!

Our rides so far have been growing in distance exponentially in the very literal sense. Knowing her, a Pan-American bike tour isn’t out of the question at some point.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 10-28-2020 05:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

One of my old coworkers years ago did the Ironman, he had to train for something like 4 to 5 months leading up to it, and he was already a super fit guy. I seem to recall some test he did which measured your blood oxygen level while you were running on a treadmill, he was trying to figure out if he even had enough stamina to complete the triathalon :olo:

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 10-28-2020 06:14 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
She’s actually been talking about triathlons and the Ironman, but she can’t swim so she’s trying to get me to train for that instead. Fuuuuuuuck!!!

Our rides so far have been growing in distance exponentially in the very literal sense. Knowing her, a Pan-American bike tour isn’t out of the question at some point.

It blows my mind that some people never learn to swim! It’s such an important life lesson. I’d imagine it’s almost terrifying simply walking next to a pool or on a dock, knowing if you slip and fall in, it could be deadly! Please teach her to swim...

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 10-28-2020 07:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

She can swim enough to stay afloat and paddle to shore. She just can’t swim further than a few hundred metres (I used to swim about a kilometre every morning back in high school).

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 11-07-2020 10:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just returned from a weekend away to attend a work reunion in the city. Some of my fellow workmates I hadn't seen in 30years :eek: and it feels like like yesterday when we meet and chat.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 11-08-2020 12:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My beard comes off today. Pics later :D

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 11-08-2020 04:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:D

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 11-08-2020 04:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You shoulda played around first. Mutton chops, goatee, handlebar moustache, soul patch. Opportunities were missed. :(

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 11-08-2020 09:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nah! There are more opportunities as I don't plan to leave the planet for a few years yet :smirk: and besides, it is approaching our Summer here and at 30 Celsius/90 Fahrenheit it gets get pretty warm on the facial cheeks ( :) ) in the noon Sun.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 11-09-2020 04:24 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

PUT IT BACK PUT IT BACK!!!!

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-09-2020 04:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whew, with the mental image of the lower half of Whiskey's face, combined with the new found powers unlocked by reading all Whiskey posts with an Aussie accent, I can't visit his website without getting very hot indeed!

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 11-14-2020 02:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Re: What is new in your little world, me, I'm disassembling my clothes dryer today for a little fix I hope. The dryer developed an intermittent screech/rattle and I figure it's the main spindle bearing. I grabbed one off Ebay as a replacement for $10 AUD as the manufacturer wanted at least $300 to visit and repair.

Here's a video from YT I found helpful. Even though the dryer is 12+ years old, it has given good service. In that time I've replaced the start capacitor twice. i figure this bearing replacement can't be too difficult :smirk: Finding out soon if I'm correct. Fingers crossed.

EDIT: Hours later, all good with a little help from my neighbour and his cordless screwdriver :up:

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 11-15-2020 09:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

our boiler's fucked and the flashing on the roof is leaking but i printed this guy today

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 11-15-2020 12:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@ phantasmagoria .. Printed, as in 3d printing? If so, pretty techo stuff :up:

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 11-15-2020 03:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What kind of printer are you running?

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 11-15-2020 05:21 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cool pot. Is that cement?

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 11-16-2020 01:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
What kind of printer are you running?

I've got two - A Prusa i3 mk3 for FDM printing and then I recently got a resin LCD Phrozen mini 4k which printed the above. The 4k is amazing quality but it's a fucking pain getting it to work. I'm slowly learning how to get reliable results but it's a bit of an alchemy and unless you're careful the resin/cleanup can contaminate your work area. It's not a living room table tier of machine.

Haha the plantpot is some kind of cement, yeah. I got the other half a houseplant subscription a while back and it's part of that.

FuddyDuddy
FuddyDuddy
PostPosted: 11-16-2020 03:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pretty amazing!

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 11-16-2020 05:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Resin: thought so... I couldn’t quite tell from the photo whether it was too smooth for FDM or if the photo couldn’t pick up the details.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 11-16-2020 08:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not sure what everyone is gawking at, that's the fakest printed plant I've ever seen. Just looks like a bunch of hoses stuck together.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 11-16-2020 08:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just to be sure here phantasmagoria, we are talking (3d print wise) of the green plant aren't we and not the slug on the RHS of the cement flower pot?

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 11-17-2020 03:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

oh you guys :olo:

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 11-17-2020 03:03 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I assumed slug...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-17-2020 03:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Reading comprehension :rolleyes:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.