Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The last movie you saw

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: The last movie you saw

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 03-12-2019 03:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nah, it looks atrocious. I was thinking it might be worth torrenting at some point, but that trailer makes it look like a bollywood shot-for-shot remake of the cartoon. Also, Will Smith replacing Robin Williams is as bad as going from Heath Ledger to Jared Leto for the Joker.

MKJ wrote:
lol, the fresh prince of air.

lol

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 03-16-2019 02:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bohemian Rhapsody (2018)

If you have enjoyed their music it is a must see!

I finally got to sit down and watch this one. A little slow to start but a great performance by all. Well done!

Yes, watch it given the opportunity.
8/10

IMDB

EDIT: I had to check out and Googled "live aid 1985 queen"

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 04-09-2019 02:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mortal Engines (2018)

I am in two minds about this film. I really love sci-fi and this was entertaining enough but something was missing. I still try to put my finger on it so maybe you can help out with it if you've seen the movie..

Hugo Weaving did a great job in the role and I don't recall seeing the other two major roles before and they are Hera Hilmar & Robert Sheehan. I liked the story too.

What prompted me to write here is to praise the works by the set & costume designers. People like phantasmagoria do amazing stuff. What caught my eye in this movie was the detail in the sets, different textures/sheen and even things you don't usually see like wear & tear that had to be purposefully applied to made all look so real. Eg, the red airship, look around, the stainless steel, rivets and the like.

My hats off to you and the industry:up:

IMDB

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 04-18-2019 10:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kursk (2018)

Quote:
The film follows the 2000 K-141 Kursk submarine disaster and the governmental negligence that followed. As the sailors fight for survival, their families desperately battle political obstacles and impossible odds to save them.

One of those movies I just had to watch about the Russian submarine disaster of August 2000 :tear:

Kursk Wiki
IMDB

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 04-18-2019 11:20 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I am looking forward to that one

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 04-22-2019 10:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Viceroy's House (2017)

Quote:
The final Viceroy of India, Lord Mountbatten, is tasked with overseeing the transition of British India to independence, but meets with conflict as different sides clash in the face of monumental change.

Interesting! I realized they cut old India up and formed a new country Pakistan within the borders so this went some way to detail the times. I had heard of the term 'partition' used before when this was divided up.

Yes, worth watching if you get the chance!

IMDB

Interesting snippet from the Wiki.

Quote:
The partition displaced over 14 million people along religious lines, creating overwhelming refugee crises in the newly constituted dominions; there was large-scale violence, with estimates of loss of life accompanying or preceding the partition disputed and varying between several hundred thousand and two million.[1][c] The violent nature of the partition created an atmosphere of hostility and suspicion between India and Pakistan that plagues their relationship to the present.

The Wiki – The Partition of India 1947

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 04-25-2019 01:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Avengers Endgame - 6.5/10

I was left a little underwhelmed and very much confused by some of it. Not because it was a confusing film, but because of what I consider some glaring mistakes.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 04-25-2019 12:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Harvey (1950)

Quote:
Due to his insistence that he has an invisible six foot-tall rabbit for a best friend, a whimsical middle-aged man is thought by his family to be insane - but he may be wiser than anyone knows.

Yes, that James Stewart one. I'd never seen this one but the Mrs wanted to view. Not bad as they go.

IMDB

He's Super
He's Super
PostPosted: 04-28-2019 04:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Avengers Endgame.

Was alright.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 04-28-2019 08:32 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Exactly that :up:

And oh hey, Pauly

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 04-28-2019 06:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Avengers Endgame, best Marvel movie in years. Solid 4/10

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 04-29-2019 01:01 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Up in Scotland with work so thought I’d book tickets to see endgame, but looks like RAWs just fucked the ending for me in Discord.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-29-2019 09:15 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The hype surrounding this movie is so incredibly childish, I can't believe it. Maybe I'm just getting old.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 04-30-2019 07:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Grown ass men were fucking crying in the theater :olo: :dork:

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 04-30-2019 09:59 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:
Up in Scotland with work so thought I’d book tickets to see endgame, but looks like RAWs just fucked the ending for me in Discord.

Not really. I saw what raw said and you’re fine. Go enjoy the film. I did...

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 04-30-2019 02:21 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Was ok. Too long and not long enough if that makes sense. They should have fleshed out more of the good bits and reduced the shit parts...

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 05-05-2019 06:34 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:
Grown ass men were fucking crying in the theater :olo: :dork:

I think it's great somebody can be that invested in 10 years of story telling. I'm not one of those people tho.

I enjoyed it, more than I expected. It has it faults like the one Doombrain mentioned, but it also has great moments.
Spoiler
the last words Pepper says to Tony are the exact same words my mother said to her late husband. That was weird.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 05-05-2019 07:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
Avengers Endgame - 6.5/10

I was left a little underwhelmed and very much confused by some of it. Not because it was a confusing film, but because of what I consider some glaring mistakes.

Re-watched it after realising that perhaps a 11 hour drive back from Germany wasn't the best prep to get the most out of a 3 hour film.

I am going to move up the score to an 8. It was much better on second viewing. Surprisingly so, actually.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 05-05-2019 08:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
I think it's great somebody can be that invested in 10 years of story telling. I'm not one of those people tho.

There's that, and then there's crying because a comic book character died in a comic universe where characters die and come back to life at the snap of a finger...literally.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 05-05-2019 11:46 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There are some genuinely emotional moments in the film, mostly around family based stuff. Take the context of it being a super hero film away and those scenes would get you right in the feels.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 05-08-2019 05:03 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
The hype surrounding this movie is so incredibly childish, I can't believe it. Maybe I'm just getting old.

Yeah man, especially give your GOT bonner. No difference, really.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-08-2019 06:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Im not acting like a new GoT episode, or season, is like the second coming of Christ. I'm not acting like GoT is the greatest thing ever created. The zealotry people display for Endgame appears to have no limits.

Also, when someone says it's "10 years of storytelling" it's cute because it's like, what, 4 movies at 150 mins each? 600 minutes? Ok, that equals a single GoT season.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 05-08-2019 07:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think he's also counting all the spin-off movies for each character. Speaking of which, I can't wait for the NEW JUNIOR AVENGERS featuring shitty child actors with low wages so they can milk the franchise for another couple decades, like they're doing with X-Men.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-12-2019 08:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

John Wick Chapter 2

I would say I enjoyed the movie and now in readiness for the 3rd installment :) and in the next days..

and of some interest.. https://screenrant.com/john-wick-2-info ... ill-count/

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 05-13-2019 06:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cold Pursuit - 3/10

Gets points for being so bad that it was actually hilarious and entertaining

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 05-17-2019 01:22 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A History of Violence - 3/10

Pretty shocked about the positive reviews on this one. Poorly acted, script was weak...just a shoddy film.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 05-19-2019 08:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

District 9 - 8/10

Great film - i really enjoyed that it wasn't set in the usual place for these sorts of things. Well written, great acting, brilliant effects. Everything I want from a sci-fi film :D

The fuct one!
The fuct one!
PostPosted: 05-20-2019 11:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

John Wick 3 - 6/10
Non-stop action and cringe-worthy kill sequences which were great. Not a lot of dialogue but definitely need to recall John Wick 2 to get fully into this story.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-20-2019 12:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
District 9 - 8/10

Great film - i really enjoyed that it wasn't set in the usual place for these sorts of things. Well written, great acting, brilliant effects. Everything I want from a sci-fi film :D

I too enjoyed District 9.

Re: The last movie you saw, watched Chrurchill (2017) the other night. Great portrayal by Brian Cox (not the physicist) of Churchill but the story-line, well just seemed too disjointed. I'd say you could give this one a miss.
5/10

IMDB

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 05-20-2019 11:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Under the silver lake - 9/10

I did not have that much fun with a movie since Avengers Endgame!

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 05-21-2019 05:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Lookout - 6.5/10

Better than JGL's usuals, plot was quite predictable though

The Jackal - 5/10

Lots of terrible fake Russian accents and subpar pacing, but decent enough if you enjoy Bruce Willis as a "villain".

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 05-21-2019 12:51 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Rush - 7/10

Very much enjoyed it - timely too, with the passing of Niki Lauda (I watched it 1 day before he died...)

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-21-2019 06:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mechanic: Resurrection (2016)

Nothing like the original sadly with woody acting and little story line, I would day dont' bother at all.
2/10

IMDB

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 05-26-2019 12:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
Rush - 7/10

Very much enjoyed it - timely too, with the passing of Niki Lauda (I watched it 1 day before he died...)

Here, you'll thank me later.

True doc style story of what really happened without Hollywood involved: https://vimeo.com/130729199

Hunt died in '93 and lived a pretty sad life up to that point for several reasons. Here's a video on that: https://vimeo.com/130732920

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 05-26-2019 03:23 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It - 5/10

Meh, not that impressed. Story was bland...

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.