Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        QLive crashes after opening a custom map

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: QLive crashes after opening a custom map

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 06-30-2022 04:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

First time this happens: uploaded a new map to my steam workshop, subscribed it, opened QLive.
Immediatly after loading the map, the game crashes. Tried to open other of my maps, all work ok. After re-cheking the map constrution, remade the final compile - 0 (zero) errors - the problem stays the same. Is a small duel map with nothing special. I have others much more complex and all work.
I am a patient person, so, for the case of existing other map with the same name in the hudge QL map list, changed the textures name, shaders and finally the map name. The problem still occurs.
I ask myself if there are new rules for uploading maps or something else i cant imagine.
Any ideas?

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 06-30-2022 06:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A workshop link would be great. Otherwise we can just guess...

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 06-30-2022 08:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 2827879122
If you do not succeed opening, I will be happy to send you all files for you to to check, compile and upload to steam...if you have patient to do that.
Thanks

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 06-30-2022 10:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

-> "textures/dune/dune_lightfx.jpg" QL don't support grayscale JPG.
Just make it a 24bit TGA. It will be the same size when compressed inside the pk3.

You should also convert all the TGAs, where you don't need an alpha channel, into JPG to save a lot of space. The levelshot alone eats up over 1MB...

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 06-30-2022 11:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There are a lot tgas indeed, all 24 bits. I will convert them to jpeg.
Lets see, thanks

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 06-30-2022 09:28 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I may also suggest you to convert your TGAs that DO have an alpha channel to PNGs, since QL does support PNGs as well. PNG should take up less space than TGA.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 07-01-2022 01:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

CZghost wrote:
PNG should take up less space than TGA.

Outside the pk3 yes, but inside the pk3 the TGAs are almost the same size as PNG. The difference is minor.
And stored in the VRAM both are the same size of course.

But TGA has still better compatibility with other "older" engines, like Q3A. Just in case you want port the map over. Or someone else wants to port the map somewhere in the future. ;)

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 07-05-2022 07:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Solved !!!
Made a new compile with no shaders and it is working. Only need to find which was the bad guy :)

Swift and Deadly
Swift and Deadly
PostPosted: 10-09-2022 09:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

how is this coming along? Interested to se the progress on this :)

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.