Currently watching..... on the TV

Open discussion about any topic, as long as you abide by the rules of course!
Don Carlos

Re: Currently watching..... on the TV

Post by Don Carlos »

TLOU - So far so good to be fair
Mat Linnett

Post by Mat Linnett »

Doombrain wrote:Handmaidens tail - it's good, but S1 is incredibly slow
Stick with it, it's cracking stuff.
I watched the first episode of TLOU on YouTube last night, as it's been made available there for free.
Not bad, but from what I remember, pretty much a note-for-note recreation of the game so far.

I'm getting really suspicious of third-party opinions regarding media these days, as I suspect there's too many damn nerds offering neckbeard opinions on things.

Two examples I can think of that I enjoyed, but that are widely decried online by fucking basement dwellers are The Witcher: Blood Origin and Rings of Power.

Nerds seem to be getting obsessed with things staying true to the source material, and aren't prepared to accept anything that deviates from their head-canon.

To be fair, I think they had a point with Altered Carbon, which in the second series, diverged so much from the source that it didn't make any goddamned sense, and was obviously adapted for screen by someone who hated the original novels.

But RIngs of Power and Blood Origin were thoroughly enjoyable for me, and a good way to explore the history of those worlds. For example, it was a real kick for me seeing The Convergence of the Spheres in Blood Origin.

But of course, a lot of the complaining is because of diversity and perceived "woke" agendas being forced in to these worlds.
Yes, we've touched on this here before with The Wheel of Time, and quite frequently, diversity can feel somewhat forced, but, and here's the important part, it rarely, if ever, detracts from the story being told.

Nerds were also responsible for the live-action version of Cowboy Bebop getting cancelled, which I was thoroughly enjoying.

Fucking nerds.
I'll get my bat.
Eraser

Post by Eraser »

Mat Linnett wrote:But of course, a lot of the complaining is because of diversity and perceived "woke" agendas being forced in to these worlds.
Check some of the comments about the Dead Space remake.
There's unisex bathrooms in the remake, which were separated bathrooms in the original.
Some of the posters in the game now have women and people of other cultural backgrounds on them instead of only white males like in the original.
The girlfriend of the main character now looks age appropriate instead of 15 years too young.
A female character's breasts have been significantly reduced in size.
There are some new text logs which casually refer to a lesbian relationship.

These are all dealbreaker issues for some people :dts:
vesp

Post by vesp »

What We Do in the Shadows, series currently on disney+
Hitting all the right spots at the moment, dry humour, sometimes ridiculous. I'm a sucker for anything with Matt Berry in it.

It's based off a movie of the same name (Taika Waititi and Jemaine Clement)
Whiskey 7

Post by Whiskey 7 »

Interview with the Vampire (2022– )

I saw the promo for this TV series just the other day and even though I am not into the genre, I thought to give it a go. Maybe I needed the diversion from life and just one episode in, itlooks interesting.
Based on Anne Rice's iconic novel, follow Louis de Pointe's epic story of love, blood and the perils of immortality, as told to the journalist Daniel Molloy.
IMDB
[color=#FFBF00]Physicist [/color][color=#FF4000]of[/color] [color=#0000FF]Q3W[/color]
Foo

Post by Foo »

Thread title says 'on the TV', but I haven't watched broadcast TV for just over 22 years :drool:

Anyways... Reacher was good. Dumb Mary-sue fun.

Resident Alien Season 1 is good fun. Just pretend Season 2 on wards doesn't exist. Kinda like Barry in that regard.
xer0s

Post by xer0s »

I’m still enjoying Barry. Although last night’s episode was a little wonky…
Whiskey 7

Post by Whiskey 7 »

Foo wrote:Thread title says 'on the TV', but I haven't watched broadcast TV for just over 22 years :drool:...............
I don't have 'cable' or those other Netflix variants as I find there is just too much on broadcast/free to air TV to watch and enjoy. I do 'tape' (old term used back in the Betamax/VHS days long before some of you were born ;) )'TV' and record to HDDs and on replay/watch, jump through the advertisements.

Don't get me wrong here, I am up with 'tech', well someway there. The Mrs might say "can you find this show for me and stick it on a USB please?". No problem usually and a challenge sometime. If you've been about this (Q3W) world a while, you will know I love a challenge :D

Off topic a moment.
The other day I saw this 30'ish female poking around a waste cardboard recyclable bin seemingly trying to get to something and being me, I stopped and asked if I could help. She had dropped one of those 'vape' things in the bin when throwing some cardboard in. This vape device (and I have never held one) was in the bottom of this near empty car sized industrial waste collection bin and she was trying to lift it out with a stick :smirk:

I was just in the local bottle shop buying some beers and saw some 'Blu Tack' on the register (Covid screen) and thought.....

Short is, I borrowed this and put the Blu Tack on her 'stick' and saved the day. I actually had the vape device in my hand :D :D

Side note: Blu Tack is the original reusable adhesive proudly made in Australia, since 1971, Blu Tack provides an ideal alternative to drawing pins and sticky tape, with thousands of uses around the home, office and school environment.

Is Blu Tack an Australian thing?
[color=#FFBF00]Physicist [/color][color=#FF4000]of[/color] [color=#0000FF]Q3W[/color]
Foo

Post by Foo »

Whiskey 7 wrote:Don't get me wrong here, I am up with 'tech', well someway there. The Mrs might say "can you find this show for me and stick it on a USB please?". No problem usually and a challenge sometime. If you've been about this (Q3W) world a while, you will know I love a challenge :D
You might like getting Plex up and running on your home network. You just grab the server install and run it on a Windows box (I just use my main PC, it's pretty light and runs in the taskbar). Then any TV, tablet, phone, other PC can access it via a web browser or app. Then instead of chucking the show on on a USB stick you point Plex at where it's stored on your computer hard drive, and it'll stream it out like Netflix on-demand.

I prolly mentioned it before, can't remember. I advocate for it to anyone that'll listen and whole lot who won't :toothy:
Whiskey 7

Post by Whiskey 7 »

xer0s wrote:I’m still enjoying Barry. Although last night’s episode was a little wonky…

Barry? Link please.

@ Foo, PLEX, will look at but when I say 'stick on a USB' I could as the 'smart TV' (when did that happen??) is on my WiFi I think :dork: :olo:
but I will now Google Plex. TY :)
Κracus

Post by Κracus »

Eraser wrote:I watched The Peripheral.
Oooo I watched this just last week. I enjoyed it!

I get what you're saying though but I find that's the case for a lot of shows the first season. You kinda need to flesh out the characters first. I found the story telling to be a bit vague in spots and yeah, some of the reasons they do what they do seems to be lacking but it was generally better than a lot of the stuff I've seen out there.

I'm really hoping they do another season tho.

edit: I also kinda figured some of the things seem off because it was intended for it to be that way if you know what I'm saying... (in regards to the story)
Whiskey 7

Post by Whiskey 7 »

Lo and Behold Reveries of the Connected World (2016)

How did I miss as I am asking myself and so interesting so watching again as I type...

IMDB
Foo

Post by Foo »

Whiskey 7 wrote:Lo and Behold Reveries of the Connected World (2016)

How did I miss as I am asking myself and so interesting so watching again as I type...

IMDB
That's a Werner Herzog film iirc? All his stuff is great.
Eraser

Post by Eraser »

I started watching the Netflix documentary series Break Point, which is a 10-episode tennis documentary where they follow various tennis players into their ventures of winning a Grand Slam. It's made by the same production company that made Drive To Survive (Netflix' Formula 1 documentary series).
The production of Break Point is really slick and they manage to pull you in really well. Sometimes it does feel like they make a lot out of nothing (which is a much heard complaint about Drive To Survive as well) but it's all very entertaining to watch, IMO.
I've never been a huge tennis fan and don't know much about the pro tennis world, but I do find it an interesting sport. I recently started playing tennis myself so it's definitely impressive to see how amazing some of these players are. And to see that even these guys and girls look up to people like Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Serena Williams like they're tennis gods is unreal.
Κracus

Post by Κracus »

I watched the first two seasons of Resident Alien and I really enjoyed it. I have to admit though, season 1 was a banger and I only kept watching through season 2 because season 1 was soooo good.
Foo

Post by Foo »

Season 2 is complete trash unfortunately. S1 is very comfy.
Κracus

Post by Κracus »

Yeah, season 1 had that edge where he seemed to be doing alien shit and didn't give a fuck about humans and in season 2 they tried to make him more likeable. It still had its moments but it was really disappointing compared to season 1. That said, season 3 should be out soon.
Don Carlos

Post by Don Carlos »

The Witcher - S3

Some excellent bits but I find the series as a whole feels quite disjointed. Not pleased that Henry is off, either.
MKJ

Post by MKJ »

Eraser wrote:I started watching the Netflix documentary series Break Point, which is a 10-episode tennis documentary where they follow various tennis players into their ventures of winning a Grand Slam. It's made by the same production company that made Drive To Survive (Netflix' Formula 1 documentary series).
The production of Break Point is really slick and they manage to pull you in really well. Sometimes it does feel like they make a lot out of nothing (which is a much heard complaint about Drive To Survive as well) but it's all very entertaining to watch, IMO.
I've never been a huge tennis fan and don't know much about the pro tennis world, but I do find it an interesting sport. I recently started playing tennis myself so it's definitely impressive to see how amazing some of these players are. And to see that even these guys and girls look up to people like Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Serena Williams like they're tennis gods is unreal.
I watched Wrexham the other day, really good series.
Interesting to see football culture from a NA perspective, too
xer0s

Post by xer0s »

Don Carlos wrote:The Witcher - S3

Some excellent bits but I find the series as a whole feels quite disjointed. Not pleased that Henry is off, either.
It sucks now. I’m bummed. The first season was pretty good. Cavill is leaving and so am I.

I guess following the source material was too easy. They had to let the writers have a little artistic liberty. It turned off both the fans and Cavill…
Captain

Post by Captain »

It's hard to follow too, all my knowledge of the characters and plot from the books and games just confuses me because the casting is so awful. Cavill carried the whole show.
Don Carlos

Post by Don Carlos »

Yennefer is rather easy on the eye
xer0s

Post by xer0s »

Don Carlos wrote:Yennefer is rather easy on the eye
No flies on her…
Mat Linnett

Post by Mat Linnett »

To be honest, I think the core three characters of Geralt, Yennefer and Ciri were all well cast. Oh, Stregobor's pretty good too.

But a lot of the other casting and narrative decisions were baffling, to put it politely, and tokenism to be not so polite.

And much like Altered Carbon, the longer it goes on, the more I see the influence of a writer who actually despises the source material at a low level and wants to write their own story.
MKJ

Post by MKJ »

S1 was great. I didn't enjoy S2 as much, mostly due to the narrative construct.
I have no interest in S3 without Cavill