Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        FAT32 vs NTFS

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: FAT32 vs NTFS

PostPosted: 02-16-2005 06:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've heard that FAT32 is faster and that NTFS is more secure since it encrypts files or something. So I formatted into NTFS after using FAT32 for the last couple years, and made 2 partitions, one for applications and system files, and the other one for storage so that when I want to reinstall, I can format the system partition and keep all my music/movies with no need backing them up on dvd's.

To make the long story short, I've ran a q3 timedemo right after I've reinstalled windows and installed the drivers (in NTFS) and I got 170fps compared to 160fps I used to get on FAT32 (I timedemo q3 every time I format to see if everything is going well). Now q3 is installed on the "storage" partition, and its in NTFS, so if its supposed to be slower than FAT32, why did I get higher fps? Also, I've heard about putting the system partition in NTFS and the other partition in FAT32 since its faster, is it a good idea?

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 02-16-2005 07:01 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

NTFS isn't slower; the info you were told is wrong. NTFS is more efficient, stable, and actually has security. Unless an older OS needs to read from the local drive as well (9x) there is no reason to bother with FAT anymore.

I'm advanced
I'm advanced
PostPosted: 02-16-2005 07:06 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 02-16-2005 08:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tormentius wrote:
NTFS isn't slower; the info you were told is wrong. NTFS is more efficient, stable, and actually has security. Unless an older OS needs to read from the local drive as well (9x) there is no reason to bother with FAT anymore.

your impressing me more and more each passing day ..huggle

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 02-17-2005 02:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

axbaby wrote:
Tormentius wrote:

your impressing me more and more each passing day ..huggle

:lub:

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 02-19-2005 02:19 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Second point is that your hard drives have nothing to do with framerate, unless you have insufficient memory to run the game, or there's a bug in the game.

Why? Because when the level is loaded and you're in the game, ALL the data being used at that point is in your graphics card's memory, your RAM, the CPU, or the GPU. That's IT. The only time when the hard drive is accessed is when the level is loading.

The exception is if you have insufficient RAM to load the game into memory, the 'swap file' is used like makeshift RAM and your HD is accessed during gameplay.. frankly, if that's happening to you while playing Q3... you need an upgrade badly.

Now, on the subject of NTFS vs FAT for speed comparisons.. NTFS still wins. It has a lot of extra tricks to get one over on FAT, such as loading very small files into the file allocation table (or namespace, I forget the term for it) so that the drive head doesn't have to seek for small files.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.