Quake3World.com Forums
     Programming Discussion
        error 'netchan queue...'

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: error 'netchan queue...'

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 08-26-2005 06:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

'netchan queue is not proberly initialized in SV_Netchan_TransmitNextFragment'

I get this in a mod beta version (western quake 3). It happens mostly when a round in our round teamplay (last team standing) gametype is over. Might happen in a round too, not sure about that. Any idea what causes it?

I've had suggestions it is related to bots, and is not seen on dedicated servers with only humans yet. But it's not tested enough to say for sure. Maybe I'll download the quake3.exe source code and have look later.

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 08-27-2005 04:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This is what causes it (server/sv_net_chan.c:139)
Code:
        if (!client->netchan_end_queue) {
            Com_Error(ERR_DROP, "netchan queue is not properly initialized in SV_Netchan_TransmitNextFragment\n");
        }

You could replace it with this:
Code:
        if (!client->netchan_end_queue) {
            if (client->gentity->r.svFlags & SVF_BOT) {
                return;
            }

Com_Error(ERR_DROP, "netchan queue is not properly initialized in SV_Netchan_TransmitNextFragment\n");
        }

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 08-27-2005 08:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So it's safe to skip error checking with bots in this case? I guess that's what you're saying. The problem is that we're going to keep the next version of the mod as mod, not standalone. So I have to figure out what in qagame or cgame triggers this error. It's probably one of my bugfixes.

After some testing, it seems that it might be related to the first person spectating patch. This mod originally had just a chasecam, that replaced the original 1st person follow mode of quake 3. I've reenabled the first person mode, so it now has both modes.

Another bug might be related to this one: Sometimes the bots show on the scoreboard with a ping of 999. And sometimes they also get a handicap (like '90') instead of the skill level symbol. But the netchan error messages seem to show up independently of this.

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 08-28-2005 05:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

torhu wrote:
So it's safe to skip error checking with bots in this case?

Yes.

Did you copy the code for the different cam modes from mods that were written for older point-releases?

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 08-28-2005 07:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I didn't code the mod originally, but I seems to be based on 1.27g. That's what the name of the vc workspace file says. I don't know if it's pure 1.27g or not. Could this cause problems?

Only the chasecam mode is new, and seems to be based on the original first person mode. It just uses the same system as cg_thirdperson where appropriate, except that it's not locked, meaning that it doesn't turn with the player. I assume it was coded by the original mod coder.

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 08-29-2005 04:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

torhu wrote:
Sometimes the bots show on the scoreboard with a ping of 999. And sometimes they also get a handicap (like '90') instead of the skill level symbol.

Any idea what might cause this? What variables has got the wrong values when this happens? I couldn't quite figure out how the menu system decides what to draw.

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 08-30-2005 09:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It seems that the bug is fixed now.

I just commented out this line in StopFollowing():
ent->r.svFlags &= ~SVF_BOT;

But I don't know why that helps. I hope it doesn't cause trouble elsewhere, but nothing so far. This would mean that this function sometimes is called for bots, I guess. It happens a bit too rare to bother testing for that right now. :shrug:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Programming Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.