Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        I wanna kill my math prof

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: I wanna kill my math prof

BLARG
BLARG
PostPosted: 02-09-2005 04:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Maths exams today.

My professor offered a 'practice test' a couple weeks ago. The practice test was hard, but still kinda okay:
Matrices with multiple variables to figure out, simplex algorithm, relationships (stuff like this: (x1, x2) > (y1, y2) <=> max{x1, x2} > max {y1, y2} Analyse ">".), Integral shit.

Today, we took the real test.
Basically the same stuff, except he took the relation stuff (which was the easiest) out and replaced it with a Leontief model. Fine, a little harder, but okay.
That wasn't enough though. He just went ahead and FUCKING ADDED AT LEAST TWO PARAMETERS TO EVERY FUCKING QUESTION.

Basically like this: Do the hard questions, but remember you can't really do it like you think you could, because there's at least two parameters (undefinable variables) everywhere.

I (and everyone I talked to) failed miserably. If I had wanted to do this shit, I would have studied MATH, dammit. All just because of some bitter asshole who would rather teach math students but has to put up with us because HE SUCKS TOO MUCH TO TEACH THE MATH STUDENTS.
Oh yeah, and he got fired and will leave our university next year, so he takes this nice opportunity to fuck us over.

PostPosted: 02-09-2005 04:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I want to laugh, and I did, but I've been in that situation before.

XXXG-00W0
XXXG-00W0
PostPosted: 02-09-2005 04:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Same here, 2 out of 6 questions we never had been taught. Don't know if he took them out, my grade was still pretty good.

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 02-09-2005 05:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

isnt there anything you could do? like complaining somewhere at your place.

i mean if he really made the test unbeatable, you should be able to do something. since he's been fired chances are that the authorities are sensitive towards his misbehaviour.

BLARG
BLARG
PostPosted: 02-09-2005 05:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, my guess is that if you knew the answer, all the questions would probably be really simple.
Like, do this, do that, then you can eliminate the alphas and you're set. But nobody I know could give me any explanation on how to do it.

It's okay if he does that in one question, to make it really hard to get a good grade, but in ALL of them?

BLARG
BLARG
PostPosted: 02-09-2005 05:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh yeah, can anyone give me an explanation why my Ti-89 won't do this:

d(y=1+3x(x-2)^2, x)

:confused: It always says "Invalid implied multiply".

(I can only guess at the time that asshole has spent trying to find a function the Ti-89 won't compute.)

oblivion
oblivion
PostPosted: 02-09-2005 06:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

stop using your fucking calculator. christ.

does everyone rely on them nowadays? seriously.

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 02-09-2005 06:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

invalid implied bla means that you don't know your ti-89 and thus, appearently, did not practice enough for the test anyways.

you have to write 3*x instead of 3x

oblivion
oblivion
PostPosted: 02-09-2005 06:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

told

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 02-09-2005 07:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

btw - lol:

Quote:

d(y= 1+ ..., x)

[edit]
i just realized this is some super simple polynom function...

solution is 9x^2 - 32 x + 12

general:

d( y=sum(a_i*x^i , i, 0, n) , x ) = sum( a_i*i*x^(i-1), i , 0, n )

BLARG
BLARG
PostPosted: 02-09-2005 09:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pext wrote:
invalid implied bla means that you don't know your ti-89 and thus, appearently, did not practice enough for the test anyways.

you have to write 3*x instead of 3x
Holy fucking shit. I want to bite myself in the nuts. It's not like this would have saved me, but still... Arrgh.

It never complained about that before. :icon33:

Well, that wasn't the entire function though, just the part it complained about.
And just like I said: It always seems so easy afterwards.

BTW: I will ask you math questions from now on, like it or not.
You're lucky the semester is over.

Edit: Everyone feel free to laugh, I deserve it.

oblivion
oblivion
PostPosted: 02-09-2005 02:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lolercaust

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.