Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        q3 mapping dead?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: q3 mapping dead?

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 02-20-2005 11:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, per topic, is q3 mapping pretty much dead now? Sure seems like it. ..::lvl only gets updated about once every 6-8 weeks and theres about a 1/8 as many downloads per map (compared to q3's hayday). Levelsource, mapcenter, rust, and now the restored LEM forums are severaly lacking discussion and feedback pertaining to q3 mapping. And finally, there's not a lot of custom map servers out there that I know of for q3...

As soon as I wrap up a couple more maps for q3 here, I'm done with this game. I will probably move on to HL-2 or something that will at least generate some interest in my maps and perhaps get some good play time out of them.

/venting.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 02-20-2005 12:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

They're all probably mapping for HL2..!

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 02-20-2005 12:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

probably, hehe

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 02-20-2005 04:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

q3 is so dead, people don't even want to talk about its deadness in a thread asking if q3 is dead.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 02-20-2005 06:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Actually I think that's what mappers are doing, waiting for Q4 and beyond.. I know I'm certainly waiting on news of Wolfenstein 'XXX'.. they don't seem to have been impressed by Doom 3 at all from a mapping point of view, or have seriously underestimated the work needed to create interesting stuff. Mind you no-one really has the PC power atm to run the bloody things either..!!! Give it 12 months or so.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 02-20-2005 06:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Is there an eta on the new wolf by chance? Or just another, it's done when it's done job...

rep
rep
PostPosted: 02-20-2005 09:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Potential mappers compared GTKRadiant and DOOMedit to the better mapping packages out there.

I myself would rather model the whole thing as ASEs, and then caulk out a map and have 100% of the thing be models than work with shitty brushes, regardless of the r_speeds.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 02-20-2005 09:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

redfella wrote:
Is there an eta on the new wolf by chance?...
In a word 'no'. All that's known is that it's in production. Everything else is pure speculation atm but there is a list of 'usual suspects' in terms of 'who' is developing it.

I've been keeping an eye on this for a while
http://www.quake3bits.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=64

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 02-21-2005 02:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think Q3 is definately past its best. I'm still making a map for it which won't be ready for a few months yet (so you'd better not all bugger off just yet!).

After that I will probably move on which is quite sad as I love Quake 3 editing. I will most likely move on to either Doom3 or HL2, and it will be a single player map as I haven't made one for years.

I think people will still produce Quake 3 maps for years yet, but there's no doubt interest is dying, it will only be the old skool bunch that participate in a bit of the Q3 fragging.

blaze a blaze
blaze a blaze
PostPosted: 02-21-2005 05:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

redfella wrote:
As soon as I wrap up a couple more maps for q3 here, I'm done with this game. I will probably move on to HL-2 or something that will at least generate some interest in my maps and perhaps get some good play time out of them.

Your going for cheap fame bud ;) :p
Q3 is dying since few years, but still more people play Quake than the new Doom (mp). I had said to quit mapping for Q3 to myself long time ago. But I can't quit because it's still fun and there is no better game around (well, "Painkiller" has a potential :icon26:).

Last edited by Lukin on 02-21-2005 05:43 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 02-21-2005 05:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Everyone's mapping for CSS :lol:

The Source engine allows a whole new breed of comedy death poses, so I'm mapping for that.

rep
rep
PostPosted: 02-21-2005 05:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I didn't like Half-Life 2. It just seemed to be Physics+Scripted Happenings.

Valve's static objects look pretty nice, but everything else looks like garbage to me, as far as the normal maps go. Does the engine have a problem with making tangent space normal maps look at least somewhat good, or is it just that Doom 3 perfected normal maps on moving characters and nothing can top it?

Lasery Roboty
Lasery Roboty
PostPosted: 02-21-2005 09:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quake 3 is pretty far from death, at least CPMA is, it still has the best gameplay of any game ever imo, and new maps are being made all the time. The mod with players is still going strong, and the gameplay is changing constantly, getting better and better all the time.

CPM 4 TEH_WIN.

I liked doom 3 and hl2, but the gameplay in mp isn't very fun. I'll hang with cpm until it dies, or until something even better comes out.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 02-21-2005 10:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

voodoo, do people actually play new custom maps in CPMA, regularly? If so, I know what redq3dm8 is going to be for.

Lasery Roboty
Lasery Roboty
PostPosted: 02-21-2005 01:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If you advertise it properly and ask people in the community to play it, its not that hard. If its good enough it might get official too.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 02-21-2005 04:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I wouldn't call Q3 dead, but it's certainly lost a bit of its youthful vigor.

And, yeah, there's not really anything solid right now to take it's place, at least IMO.

Hell, I don't have time to map for anything anyway these days (unless it's just farting around that only takes a day or two). Along those lines, I've been actually making a few levels for Trackmania (link goes to demo d/l page), which is an absolutely great little racing/puzzle game that comes with a built-in editor.

I'm hoping that Q4 will revitalize the editing scene...we'll see.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 02-21-2005 06:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dead? no

of course, considering how old q3 is, there is a lot less interest than there was a while ago, but the game isnt dead yet! Hell, I still see maps coming out for q1 and q2...

In regards to custom servers, burial-grounds.com still runs some of the BEST custom servers on the net!
Check one out here:

69.93.142.181:27960

Q4 will hopefully have a good enough multi for ppl to map for. Supposedly the q4 multi will be similar to q3... but we will see :)

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 02-22-2005 01:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think the problem is, that quake 3 is allready pretty old as a computer game - almost 6 years; - and it is still lacking a worthy successor that would be able to bind the needed amount of sponsoring/price money to be considered THE game to play. 5 Years ago it was easy: there was UT and there was Q3.

Todays young and new players were trying out painkiller, finding it to lack in a few, mostly technical areas and thus tried doom3, finding it to lack even more and returned to painkiller. And then again, there is still UT and various tactical shooters on the market.
A fragmented situation.

I'm really looking forward to Quake 4 and i hope it will clean up the mess by doing the following:

- A Battle.Net like structure with automated matchmaking functions and ladders combined custom games/servers; i think the system we currently have in shooters is outdated as it is not usefull, to bind the majority of common gamers to a game. D3 is a good example, as a reason why it failed is the lack of decent servers in the beginning.
- A defined map pool, changed every 4 months making use of community made maps.
- Quake 3 / CPMA gameplay

[edit]
huh... i think we might need a few more people to post in here as well...

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 02-22-2005 09:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This is hilarious... this kind of topic has been posted ever since I've first been here at Q3W (2002 - this account is just a temporary one until the admins can get my normal one working again). It has surfaced and resurfaced on what seems to be an annual basis. Sure, perhaps Q3 editing has slowed somewhat, but it's still far from dead.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 02-22-2005 11:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

BTW, if anyone is wondering why traffic is so slow around here, it's because:

-most people don't know that Q3W's back online.
-those who do know it's back online are having problems logging in/creating new accounts (me for example) due to the fact that we have problems with the database and mail servers. Turbinator had to manually create over 100 new accounts for people as mentioned in the GD forum.

I'm pretty sure that things will pick up once things return to normal.

Timbo
Timbo
PostPosted: 02-22-2005 02:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Make maps for http://tremulous.net/ :icon31:

Swift and Deadly
Swift and Deadly
PostPosted: 02-22-2005 03:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

redfella wrote:
Well, per topic, is q3 mapping pretty much dead now? Sure seems like it. ..::lvl only gets updated about once every 6-8 weeks and theres about a 1/8 as many downloads per map (compared to q3's hayday). Levelsource, mapcenter, rust, and now the restored LEM forums are severaly lacking discussion and feedback pertaining to q3 mapping. And finally, there's not a lot of custom map servers out there that I know of for q3...

/venting.

I agree that there isn't many servers that are playing custom maps anymore. But I can tell you that our servers ( *A51* ) play custom maps and we are not shy to put more up. Now that isn't saying that every custom map will get put up, but is a good chance that if you hit me up with it, I may be able to get your custom maps up on one of our servers. As it is right now, I run our ctf server and can place any custom maps on that one so if people have a custom ctf map that they want the public to see, let me know and I can try to get it incorporated into the rest of the rotation.
We have OSP, FFA and insta servers as well, and I most likely can get maps up on the osp server too.

Timbo
Timbo
PostPosted: 02-22-2005 05:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kaziganthe wrote:
I'm going out on a limb here...

Since Programming has been merged with LEM, then, instead of doing a PTM or something, would it make sense to anyone to do a sort of low-scale mod of sorts? Possibly just have some coders makes some new ents for us to play around with (LADDERS!), maybe make it completely open for anyone to make their own stuff from it?

/limb breaks :P

http://a.ngus.net/tremulous/entities.def
http://tremulous.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=210 ( http://tremulous.net/junk/psDemo.avi )

OK OK, I'll stop... :p

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.