Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake 4 Discussion
        q4dm3 remix

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: q4dm3 remix

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-03-2005 10:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

if any competitive types want to give these a whirl:

2 map files:

mp/q4dm3remix1beta - centered around RA, YA, mega for 1v1

mp/q4dm3remix2beta - centered around quad, RA, YA, mega for 2v2 (has a little more health also)

both maps have 2x RL, 1xSG, 1xLG, 1xGL, 1xRG

they *should* run a bit faster than the stock map as well

---

right click and save:

http://www.tequilasplace.com/q4dm3remixbeta.pk4

*edit*
this link will be updated / overwritten till there is a final version.

Last edited by tequila! on 11-04-2005 11:04 AM, edited 1 time in total.

rejected
rejected
PostPosted: 11-03-2005 11:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

At work so i cant check it out...got any pics?

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-04-2005 12:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

it looks more or less like the original, except for a couple new things for teleporters - so i didn't take any pics.

mostly looking for gameplay feedback, as the "1 yellow armor and 1 invis powerup" item layout in the original perplexes me.

i think lunaran did the texturing on it, and it is rather nice as is, considering how simple most of the geometry is. some i'm not changing it except for a few odds and ends.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 11-04-2005 02:29 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tequila! wrote:

mostly looking for gameplay feedback, as the "1 yellow armor and 1 invis powerup" item layout in the original perplexes me.

ugh that map is so bad, and so UT. its too cramped and too curvy >:E

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-04-2005 08:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i would hardly call it cramped for 2-4 people.. but ok :)

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 11-04-2005 08:43 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If anyone fancies a proper multiplayer test on these, message me.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 11-04-2005 08:55 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tequila! wrote:
i would hardly call it cramped for 2-4 people.. but ok :)

i meant the architecture :)
i concluded this only having played the map in tourney :o

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-04-2005 09:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ah ok - well sorry you dislike it :(

made a pic for reef or anyone interested in the changes:

(lvlshot'ed, so clickie)

[lvlshot]http://www.tequilasplace.com/remixbeta.jpg[/lvlshot]

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 11-04-2005 09:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I ran around it, and I think it's pretty sweet. I can't say for sure unless I play somebody, but it seems to me like the red armor should be another yellow armor, because it's such a small map. Aerowalk can get away with it because the RA was in a very risky position.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 11-04-2005 09:40 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah feels too small for a RA + YA + MH

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-04-2005 09:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Maybe yellow for 1v1, red for 2v2?

The 'red armor side' doesn't currently have as many weapons as the 'yellow side', so it was intended to be the big draw to go over there.

And putting it at the mid level makes it a bit of a trap - you can get nailed from many angles while trying to grab the RA.

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 11-04-2005 09:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah that sounds good since weapons are even more important in 2v2.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-04-2005 11:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

updated and uploaded a new pk4 file - same link as first post, it will overwrite yesterdays.

remix 1 - RA + YA changed to 2 x YA for 1v1

remix 2 - unchanged, RA probably alright for 2v2

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 11-05-2005 08:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tequila for some reason i cant get it to load. It doesn't show up on my list nor can I call it from console, its in my q4base dir.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-05-2005 09:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've been able to run it from the console, and from the pk4 file, this way:

si_map mp/q4dm3remix1beta
spawnserver

(si_map mp/q4dm3remix2beta for 2v2 version)

This sets up the map to load when a server is started, then starts a local server.

You can run it with devmap as well, but it will load up with singleplayer settings for movement and items.

Post again if this doesn't work, I'll try to find out what's wrong.

NOT OK
NOT OK
PostPosted: 11-05-2005 11:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The layout looks pretty interesting actually.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 11-06-2005 08:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nice work man. I just created a local server and ran around a little bit. Now i want to upload this to my private server. Do I put the map directory in the base? Or do i have to create a pak file, then upload it? I just want to make sure before I mess anything up.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 11-06-2005 08:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Robcq wrote:
Nice work man. I just created a local server and ran around a little bit. Now i want to upload this to my private server. Do I put the map directory in the base? Or do i have to create a pak file, then upload it? I just want to make sure before I mess anything up.
The map is available for download as a pk4, which you should just put in your q4base directory.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 11-06-2005 08:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No it downloads as a .zip file and when i just put it in my base the server does not recongnize it. maybe i am doing something wrong.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 11-06-2005 09:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

OK i got the pk4 file but it still does not show up on the list. and it won't load on my server.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-06-2005 01:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Unfortunately I don't know anything about setting up custom maps for a server - anyone around who knows about these things that could assist?

I did find a file: Quake4\q4base\mapcycle.scriptcfg

Perhaps custom maps are added there to make them part of the rotation?

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-06-2005 01:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Forgot to mention - I'm working on a few improvements while these are tested:

-raising ceilings at teleporter exits so you don't bonk your head when jumping through them.

-widening the new curved 'RL corridor' at the bottom level of the map.

-misc. texturing, hopefully for the better, as I said I think lunaren's job is already nice for such simple geometry so only small changes.

-I'll take a good look at lights / vis portals for performance before releasing a final.

It's going a little slowly as I'm painting my apartment at the moment also. I figure the currently available versions are decent for testing, so hopefully no biggie.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 11-06-2005 02:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I justy know with every other custom map i just throw it in the base folder and it appears on the server list (vote list). If anyone has got it to work on there dedicated server please tell me how.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-06-2005 03:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'll look into this tonight, but probably late night. I haven't included a title page / screenshot yet, as it is a beta, but it probably needs one to show up on the list, like the .arena files for Q3. I didn't anticipate that, sorry.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 11-06-2005 04:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ok.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 11-06-2005 05:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It works now when i use that cmd thanks. This remix appears to be much better, hopefully it will get on the servers soon. Every other custom map i have shows up on the list even a few with no picture, instead its the q4 logo.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-06-2005 09:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think I'm missing a text file it needs to put up on a server - will see if I can fix it tonight, but probably not worth checking back here till tomorrow. I'll look at Kiltron's maps and see what I am missing in my pk4.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-06-2005 11:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

should be able to get this going on a real server now, with a def file for each map. images are stolen from the stock map for the moment.

see link in first post for downloading

xchaser
xchaser
PostPosted: 11-07-2005 03:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

damn this much better than the original map. just one thing in the 2v2 version is the quad maybe it can get replace by the plasma gun.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 11-07-2005 03:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Indeed much better, the added portals,mh and ra give it a better feel. if anyone knows a server running these maps please post it here.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 11-07-2005 08:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks teq it works now. Also, sometimes the pk4 file downloads as a zip for people. don't know why...

I have it on my private server. A friend and I played a few duels on it. So far it seems much better then the stock one. If anyone is interest some 1v1's or 2v2's let me know I'll give you the server info. PM me here or you can reach me in #q41v1 on gamesurge or in #aggression.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 11-07-2005 09:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the map is pretty solid

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 11-08-2005 03:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yo tequilla the pk4 is downloading as a zip

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-08-2005 04:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ah sorry about that - just rename the extention to .pk4 and it will work fine. will zip it in the future.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-10-2005 06:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just curious if anyone has been able to get this running on a server now that the txt and image files have been added.

This weekend and next week I can start polishing things up for a final version.

---

Busy painting, as you can see from this... uh.. pic of me being... busy:

[lvlshot]http://www.tequilasplace.com/feet800x600.jpg[/lvlshot]

Also got a spiffy pic of my tattoo, although hopefully my bluish tint is just bad lighting:

[lvlshot]http://www.tequilasplace.com/tattoo800x800.jpg[/lvlshot]

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake 4 Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.