Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        Building the fastest PC.

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Building the fastest PC.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 02-09-2005 06:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What's the fastest single CPU and RAM combo, with single video card. Don't forget the mobo.

If you were going to build a PC, what would you use.

I'm thinking it's.....

ASUS A8N-Sli Deluxe
Geforce FX 6800 256mb Ultra PCI Express
PC4400 Dual Channel RAM
AMD Athlon 64 FX-55AS

Does the fastest CPU go to AMD or INTEL and why?

oblivion
oblivion
PostPosted: 02-09-2005 07:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

abit motherboard.

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 02-09-2005 07:39 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fastest CPU for raw speed would go to AMD but best performing depends on your intended use. Hyperthreading owns when it comes to work and desktop apps and the AMD64s have better gaming performance.

As for specific hardware the parts you posted are pretty decent for an AMD system.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 02-09-2005 07:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tormentius wrote:
Fastest CPU for raw speed would go to AMD but best performing depends on your intended use. Hyperthreading owns when it comes to work and desktop apps and the AMD64s have better gaming performance.

As for specific hardware the parts you posted are pretty decent for an AMD system.

Please post up a better system.

After all, that's what this thread is about. :icon25:

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 02-09-2005 07:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oblivi0.on wrote:
abit motherboard.

In T&T, you must read the thread, understand the thread and then post.

The object here is to be productive.

Abit what? Abit why? Your unfounded opinion means nothing.

oblivion
oblivion
PostPosted: 02-09-2005 07:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

abit makes motherboards that excel in speed. if you go amd then go with an asus or msi. if you want an intel go with an abit. why? because they are the fastest and have the most to offer as far as peripherals.

PostPosted: 02-09-2005 07:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nice, I'm stating to like thie browser more and more. :icon14:

oblivion
oblivion
PostPosted: 02-09-2005 07:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

what browser?

PostPosted: 02-09-2005 07:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oblivi0.on wrote:
what browser?

Fuck, wrong thread.

PostPosted: 02-09-2005 07:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

P4 570

PostPosted: 02-09-2005 08:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YourGrandpa wrote:
Oblivi0.on wrote:
abit motherboard.

In T&T, you must read the thread, understand the thread and then post.

The object here is to be productive.

Abit what? Abit why? Your unfounded opinion means nothing.

YGP actually caring and making productive posts?! Is this world coming to an end?

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 02-09-2005 08:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It very well could be.

Now try and stay on topic.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 02-09-2005 08:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ToxicBug wrote:
P4 570

Wouldn't the P4 3.4GHz 800MHz 2MB Extreme be better?

PostPosted: 02-09-2005 08:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YourGrandpa wrote:
ToxicBug wrote:
P4 570

Wouldn't the P4 3.4GHz 800MHz 2MB Extreme be better?

I've just checked THG and the 570 looks like the serious competitor for the FX-55.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 02-09-2005 08:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So the P4 3.4, 2MB Extreme is slower than the 570?

I'm advanced
I'm advanced
PostPosted: 02-09-2005 08:54 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I do love both Intel and AMD ABit mobos, haven't given mer any problems and have great performance, features and stability. Now for the person who wants the best and i mean best performance regardless of price, take a look at ABit's Fatal1ty series http://www.abit-usa.com/news/2005/20050131.php great reviews.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 02-09-2005 09:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Can someone please list their single CPU dream machine and explain why?

It's not that hard.

Thanks.

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 02-09-2005 10:37 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YourGrandpa wrote:

It's not that hard.

Thanks.

Your question has been answered. Most people don't put together systems in their head for something to do.

If you want a gaming machine go with a high end AMD chip. If you're looking for a high performance workstation for doing work and gaming both then an Intel with HT is the way to go. Components are really just a matter of preference but if you're looking for the absolute best Anandtech does regular articles which cover exactly this topic.

ouF!
ouF!
PostPosted: 02-10-2005 07:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

286 with a whooping! 8mb ram and voodoo 2 gtsultra limited edition, HELLOOO DOOM3!!!

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-10-2005 12:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YG, what do you do with all your past computers? don't you buy a new comp every year? do you donate them, sell them, or give them to friends. just curious...

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 02-10-2005 04:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tormentius wrote:
YourGrandpa wrote:

It's not that hard.

Thanks.

Your question has been answered. Most people don't put together systems in their head for something to do.

If you want a gaming machine go with a high end AMD chip. If you're looking for a high performance workstation for doing work and gaming both then an Intel with HT is the way to go. Components are really just a matter of preference but if you're looking for the absolute best Anandtech does regular articles which cover exactly this topic.

This is T&T, right?

Aren't most people here into computers?

You'd think people who are into computers are aware of the latest components and have a dream system in mind.

I'm only asking for people to post their single CPU dream system.

Give it a try.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 02-10-2005 04:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

prince1000 wrote:
YG, what do you do with all your past computers? don't you buy a new comp every year? do you donate them, sell them, or give them to friends. just curious...

I usually move my current PC to the second PC slot (my sons computer) and sell or give away the old parts to friends.

I build a new computer every year and a half to two years.
I like to stay current. :icon25:

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 02-10-2005 05:28 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YourGrandpa wrote:

This is T&T, right?

Aren't most people here into computers?

You'd think people who are into computers are aware of the latest components and have a dream system in mind.

I'm only asking for people to post their single CPU dream system.

Give it a try.

I'm quite aware of components but when a person does something all day, every day, it loses its thrill. When I'm done at work lets just say gaming isn't the first thing I want to do; the thought of wiring and electrical work is about the last thing you think about in off hours too, correct?

If a system doesn't slow down my work and will do well on whatever app without any noticeable bottleneck then its all good.

Just to humour ya, a dream machine IMO would be an Intel 3.4 w/HT, 2GB RAM, some form of SLI mobo, and a couple Gainward 6800 GT's.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 02-12-2005 05:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tormentius wrote:
I'm quite aware of components but when a person does something all day, every day, it loses its thrill. When I'm done at work lets just say gaming isn't the first thing I want to do; the thought of wiring and electrical work is about the last thing you think about in off hours too, correct?

Then why bother with this place?

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 02-12-2005 07:42 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YourGrandpa wrote:
Tormentius wrote:

Then why bother with this place?

This place isn't really about Q3 anymore, its an interesting community with interesting people.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-13-2005 06:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tormentius wrote:

This place isn't really about Q3 anymore, its an interesting community with interesting people.

glad im not the only one that seen it like that, Form Day1 that i regged, its been all about the people rather than the game.

Mr. Anderson!
Mr. Anderson!
PostPosted: 02-13-2005 06:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So, to satisfy the old man's bitching, I present my dream machine:

• Dual 2.5GHz PowerPC G5
• 2GB DDR400 SDRAM (PC3200) - 4x512
• 2x250GB Serial ATA - 7200rpm
• ATI Radeon 9800 XT w/256MB DDR SDRAM
• AirPort Extreme Card
• Bluetooth Module
• 8x SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)
• PCI-X Gigabit Ethernet Card
• Bluetooth Module + Apple Wireless Keyboard & Mouse - U.S. English
• Mac OS X - U.S. English

Oh, and its always been about people for me as well, especially considering that I hadn't played Q3 until a month or so after a registered, thanks to Kaziganthe.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 02-13-2005 06:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nice reply...

But you broke the rules on two counts.

1.Thats a Dual CPU system
2.It's a Mac.

BTW, why use a 9800xt 256 and not a x800 256 in your "dream machine"?

Mr. Anderson!
Mr. Anderson!
PostPosted: 02-13-2005 06:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YourGrandpa wrote:
Nice reply...

2.It's a Mac.

Moderated: Say it with some class or don't bother.

Reason for the 9800XT is that there was no X800 option in the customization for ordering page on Apple's site. There was a 6800 GT, but nVidia sucks monkey cock, so I opted for the ATI.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 02-13-2005 07:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

4g3nt_Smith wrote:
YourGrandpa wrote:
Nice reply...

2.It's a Mac.

Moderated: Same as above
2.You failed to specify OS in your first post, so you lose

Reason for the 9800XT is that there was no X800 option in the customization for ordering page on Apple's site. There was a 6800 GT, but nVidia sucks monkey cock, so I opted for the ATI.

Touchy, touchy....

And I did say AMD vs Intel.

It's just too bad you can't put the best video card in your dream machine.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 02-13-2005 07:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

[quote="HM-PuFFNSTuFF"][/quote]

Moderated: Just to keep it fair Gramps. I know its a reply to a flame, PM me if there is an issue.

Mr. Anderson!
Mr. Anderson!
PostPosted: 02-13-2005 07:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Moderated: Say it with some class or don't bother.

http://shop.ati.com/product.asp?sku=2608262

Just thought you'd enjoy knowing that I can put even more ownage into my dream system.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 02-13-2005 08:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's great that the x800 will work for ya, but you're the one that said it wouldn't. I've never built a G* system, so I wouldn't know.

I'm sorry if you found my first reply abrasive. It wasn't ment to be.
BTW, I only treat people here the way they treat me and I try to keep any negative remarks in R&R.

I'm advanced
I'm advanced
PostPosted: 02-13-2005 08:16 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

my dream system would definatly have two 6800 Ultra running SLI, four 74GB Raptors running RAID striping, an ABit Fatal1ty mobo, and all the other top of the line stuff, prolly Athlon 64 socket 939

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 02-13-2005 08:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kills On Site wrote:
my dream system would definatly have two 6800 Ultra running SLI, four 74GB Raptors running RAID striping, an ABit Fatal1ty mobo, and all the other top of the line stuff, prolly Athlon 64 socket 939

I think I'm going to wait on the 2nd 6800 until the prices come down and there's more of a need to increase performance.

Sweet system though....

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.