Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake 4 Discussion
        Mappers, dont forget the addon.conf file!!!

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: 

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 03-05-2006 04:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Erm, maybe I'm just kinda sleepy, but: has anybody examined that "checksum" thingie in any kind of detail? I'm not clear on how that number is calculated for each addon.conf file...

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 03-05-2006 04:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Autodownload does function without the addon.conf (sorry if I've misunderstood you?).

For files without iaddon.conf, you will need all of the files on the server, which you can autodownload. The first time you connect to a server you don't have the files for, if they are available for download and don't have the addon.conf file, you'll be forced to autodownload all of the files on the server that don't have an addon.conf.

For files with addon.conf, you'll still need the files to play, but you won't be forced to download them until you actually require them, e.g. when the server rotates to a map you don't have.

At least thats the way I understand it ... is that wrong? :confused:

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 03-05-2006 06:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

riddla wrote:
I dont think its needed if there are no dependencies, like needing other maps or mods for instance.

It's not commented out in the example code, though.. So I'm not real sure that's correct. Besides, if there were dependencies, you'd have to know which pk4's to include while calculating.. and a vague reference to path doesn't really illuminate me on how to do that... I'll go dig over at doom3world when I have a min..

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 03-06-2006 01:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Either way, addon.conf is good :)

All map releases should have one.

Seems to me the whole addon.conf, and many other aspects of the autodownload system are rather disengenuous.

kmg

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 03-06-2006 09:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

KMG wrote:
disengenuous

dis·in·gen·u·ous

Not straightforward or candid; insincere or calculating

Spelling aside, excellent vocabulary :icon14:

The addon.conf is a good thing, you are right - the documentation concerning it seems a little confusing, Although i am assuming it does the latter (means the file only needs dl when it is used) - and this file is not required for autodl to work (I have not actually tested this, it'd be nice if some form of confirmation was about)

Whats bothering me, is how to get autodl to work with the quakemas mappack (pak013.pk4) it appears to say that officially named files will not work - so is there a way around this ?

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 03-06-2006 02:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The final 1.1 patch includes those three maps plus the other new ones. Once that one is released, it'll be a non-issue, as everyone with a current install will have all the new stuff.

If you desperately need a fix of quakemas glee (god I feel dirty everytime I say that word :P ), you could probably re-name the pk4 for autodl, but I'd advise against it as it could result in version conflicts when the final 1.1 patch is released, which is General Badness™.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 03-06-2006 03:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

kleeks wrote:
The addon.conf is a good thing, you are right - the documentation concerning it seems a little confusing, Although i am assuming it does the latter (means the file only needs dl when it is used) - and this file is not required for autodl to work (I have not actually tested this, it'd be nice if some form of confirmation was about)

Consider it confirmed. I run about 30 custom maps on my DM server and practically NONE of them have that file and Redirect is working fine. But it DOES make you download all of them at once before playing.

Go to http://www.uzaclan.net for more details or just connect to: 67.19.62.215:28004
Stats are kept on uZaClan.net

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 03-06-2006 04:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I haven't even read the article that's linked up there yet and I'm sure it's answered but I'll ask here for the hell of it. How hard would it be for me to just cread that file for all of my PK4's myself?

Go to http://www.uzaclan.net for more details or just connect to: 67.19.62.215:28004

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 03-06-2006 04:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Its easy, but when you change the pk4, that means it will be different than the one most players and other servers have. Plus, I'm not sure what would happen if somebody has the same pk4 name as the server, but it's a different size.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 03-06-2006 04:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'll do some playing around and let you know what I find.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 03-07-2006 08:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DooMer wrote:
Its easy, but when you change the pk4, that means it will be different than the one most players and other servers have. Plus, I'm not sure what would happen if somebody has the same pk4 name as the server, but it's a different size.

It will download and replace the old file.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 03-10-2006 06:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quote:
The final 1.1 patch includes those three maps plus the other new ones. Once that one is released, it'll be a non-issue, as everyone with a current install will have all the new stuff.

So then I don't need the pak13.pk4 on the server to have the extra maps?
(sry I'm still catching up ;))
Played Bat2 for a bit too long :paranoid:

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 03-13-2006 07:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Boy I hope I'm missing something on this one. I have to pak a mixture of def\mapname.def AND the addon.conf to make everything work properly

If I just put in the addon.conf - the map is votable in the server's gui and everything works EXCEPT the loadscreen. You don't see it when the map is loading - instead you see the default green q4 icon screen which usually means there is no gfx\guis\loadscreens\mapname.tga

The moment I select the map in the votable list, a console error appears
"WARNING: Invalid folder for map 'guis/assets/splash/addon/q4hexdm1r' "

AND - get this - the game puts a copy of my loadscreen tga in that path...(but that's not really the problem I could deal with that)

Hm. So I end up putting this in the def\q4hexdm1r.def

Code:
mapDef mp/q4hexdm1r {
   "loadimage"      "gfx/guis/loadscreens/q4hexdm1r"
}

and this in the addon.conf

Code:
addonDef{}
mapDef mp/q4hexdm1r {
   "name"      "Floating Death"
   "DM"      "1"
   "Team DM"      "1"
   "Tourney"      "0"
   "CTF"      "0"
   "Arena CTF"      "0"
   "Gametype_Deathmatch"      "1"
   "Gametype_TeamDeathmatch"      "1"
   "Gametype_Tournament"      "0"
   "Gametype_CaptureTheFlag"      "0"
   "Gametype_ArenaCaptureTheFlag"      "0"
   "mp_thumb"      "gfx/guis/loadscreens/q4hexdm1r"
}

and then its all good. (and no, it doesn't put the tga in that path again...)

Summary: if put everything in the addon.conf - the loadscreen doesn't work. I've been banging on this in many different ways. If anybody has success where I have failed, I'd sure like to hear about it.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 03-14-2006 09:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Aww, but I updated it in February with playerModel def info... :P

Anyway, what seemed to break things in my test case was leaving the original files in their respective folders under q4base/. Free-floating files override their pk4 equivalents, so I think you're getting conflicts as long as those files are left out there. Once I went into the maps and loadscreen folders and nuked the files, everything worked fine. Give that a shot and see if things work.

Here's my addon.conf I used, and what'll be the example for the q4 section on iddevnet once this is all verified... try plugging your stuff into here:

Code:
// Example Quake 4 addonDef
// Feel free to use this as a base for your own releases.

// Marks this pk4 as an addonPak for autodownload.
addonDef   {
   // If this pk4 relies on any others (texture sets, for example),
   // enter their checksums here.

// Checksums can be found by setting "developer 1" (either from
   // the console or your shortcut) and typing "path"

"0xce56e6c9"   //dummy.pk4
}

// Enter mapDefs for each map present in the pk4. Use this instead of maps/mapname.def
// Some keys found on the released Q4 maps were used only for the Xbox 360. You only need the keys listed here.
mapDef maps/test/test   {

// Map name (Displayed on load screen)
   "name"       "Addon Test"

// Load Screen Image
   "loadimage"   "gfx/guis/loadscreens/test.tga"

// Available Gametypes
   "DM"      "1"
   "Team DM"   "1"
   "Tourney"   "0"
   "CTF"      "0"
   "Arena CTF"   "0"

}

You'll notice a lot fewer keys than before. I'm not sure if this is the case with the duplicate gametype_* defs, but mp_thumb for example was only used for the xbox 360 (where we used a lower res image to save texture memory).

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 03-14-2006 09:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Good, thanks. I do see what might be a key difference in your code here:
mapDef maps/test/test {

I didn't include the maps/mp/q4hexdm1r, just mp/q4hexdm1r

I'll give this a try when I get home tonight. Also will try just pulling out the mp_thumb. Maybe thats confusing it.

(I didn't specify above but I was pk4ing everything and testing in a clean install of q4... )

Thanks again.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 03-14-2006 10:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The maps/ bit was an error on my part but I also suck at folder creation so it balanced out (I was hurredly putting together test stuff on a clean install and forgot where I was :) )

Of course, I may be making all of this up, I came back from lunch and went to verify the path and it's not working for me . :P So... that's embarrassing. Let me know if it does work for you, though.

edit: ok, after some more testing, I have come to the conclusion that I my mind is 100% chock full of unbridled retarded. Here I was thinking it was the thumbnail missing when I fiddled initially and you meant the full loading screen. Allow me to fiddle more and ask around a bit. Sorry for the worthless initial reply, though at least we sorted out those extra keys in mapDefs. :)

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 03-14-2006 03:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

KungFuSquirrel: So if we want our maps to be both 1.0 and 1.1 compatible what do we need to do? Have BOTH the .def file and the addon.conf file? Having both seems to give issues.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 03-14-2006 06:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

OK, well goodnews/badnews. Adding the "maps" to the path didn't fix anything. Removing the loadimage and mp_thumb tags completely in addon.conf result in the thumb being automagically found, but the full loadscreen not.

If put everything in addon.conf, everything works fine (including autodl, thanks) EXCEPT the loadscreen.

SO simply move the "loadimage" def into the def\mapname.def and all is well. Also cleaned up the addon.conf per suggestions and that seems to be fine as well.

Final paking contains:

def\q4hexdm1r.def
Code:
mapDef mp/q4hexdm1r {
   "loadimage"   "gfx/guis/loadscreens/q4hexdm1r"
}

addon.conf
Code:
addonDef{}
mapDef mp/q4hexdm1r {
   "name"      "Floating Death"
   "DM"      "1"
   "Team DM"   "1"
   "Tourney"   "1"
   "CTF"      "0"
   "Arena CTF"   "0"
}

So this is the way I'm paking until I'm enlightened to other paths. :)

This whole mess of course is just me testing on my various installs all on this one machine. If anyone finds different, lets hear about it.

wviperw - Hopefully the painful 'inbetween' time doesn't last long. (eagerly awaits the golden 1.32 patch) :icon31:

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 03-16-2006 05:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Definitive post from syncerror about this here:

http://esreality.com/?a=post&id=1033966

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 03-16-2006 07:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey, so you were right in the first place. Shows me for trying. :P Of course, doesn't help that I misread your problem in the first place! Well done. :)

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 03-16-2006 08:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

And with the official clarification (the system was id's in the first place, so we had about as much to go on as you did :P ), this is now available: http://www.iddevnet.com/quake4/LevelEditor_MPMapDefs

Includes the addonPak setup info, plus details on the 360-only keys, examples, etc. and should be a good beginner's reference.

Plus I had a little too much fun writing it. Empty code chunks? I kill me...

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 04-30-2006 05:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

wait, this still isn't working. (1.2.1 ded linux server)

SUMMARY: the first time the server's scriptcfg encounters a map that includes a proper addon.conf in its pk4, the server reloads, as advertised. It also kicks any currently connected clients. Not so much advertised...

TO WORKAROUND THIS PROBLEM: when start the server, do servernextmap all the way through the custom map rotation. After all custom pk4s have been rotated to once, they've been added to the "Asset Log" and the engine doesn't reload when the map is rotated to.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 06-07-2006 02:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

1) Good thread here... I didn't expect the server to reload and when it hit a "new" map with an addon.conf file. This explains what goes on very nicely.

2) Mappers: Seriously, no matter HOW old your maps are.. This is worth re-releasing them. No admin in his/her right mind will put your map into a public (not LAN) map loop, as this solves so many problems. The traffic on my DM server has increased 10x since I got rid of any maps that aren't formatted with an addon.conf...

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake 4 Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.