Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake 4 Discussion
        Quake 4 v1.1 Official Point Release - Revoked March 28

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: 

Primal screamer
Primal screamer
PostPosted: 03-28-2006 01:28 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ganemi wrote:
This seems like a pretty stupid question, but who's this SyncError fellow?

LOL NOOB

But really... Id lost touch with the community so they hired this sync guy to communicate with the community and tell Id what we want most.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 03-28-2006 01:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Seems to be working fine, huh?

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 03-28-2006 01:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm gonna be updating denziis today. My ISP is screwing me over, I'm capped at 45KBs. Taking an hour to dl this god damn thing. probably 3 times as long to up it.

xchaser
xchaser
PostPosted: 03-28-2006 02:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I am way happy I love the feel. Fast and it feels like q3. gg idsoftware you know how to make mp games.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 03-28-2006 02:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

{uZa}FreakOfNature wrote:
Hey guys, I've updated my server with the patch if you guys wanna check it out. IP's in my sig.
About your sig: aren't the Quakemas maps now included in the 1.1 patch? I remember reading something about it, but if it's true you can scrap that from your sig.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 03-28-2006 03:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure they've included quakemas with the new pr (which roxs btw) - i would say definite, but i may well be miss reading stuff :)

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 03-28-2006 03:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oeloe wrote:
{uZa}FreakOfNature wrote:
Hey guys, I've updated my server with the patch if you guys wanna check it out. IP's in my sig.
About your sig: aren't the Quakemas maps now included in the 1.1 patch? I remember reading something about it, but if it's true you can scrap that from your sig.

You know, I remember reading that too, but the maps weren't listed in the patch read me so I just assumed it was still needed.

Can anyone verify?

Go to http://www.uzaclan.net for more details or just connect to: 67.19.62.215:28004
Stats are kept on uZaClan.net

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 03-28-2006 03:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, the patch comes with pak013

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 03-28-2006 03:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yep, they're in there. I guess they weren't mentioned since they were already announced back when that was released.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 03-28-2006 03:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks guys!

Go to http://www.uzaclan.net for more details or just connect to: 67.19.62.215:28004

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 03-28-2006 03:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

BTW, as soon as someone at Q4Max can help me figure out how to bypass Warmup mode with my own custom mode script I'll move the server over to Q4max.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 03-28-2006 06:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xchaser wrote:
I am way happy I love the feel. Fast and it feels like q3. gg idsoftware you know how to make mp games.

What? Did they really fix the speed? Agh. I'm so anxious for my computer to arrive, you have no idea.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 03-28-2006 06:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ganemi wrote:
What? Did they really fix the speed? Agh. I'm so anxious for my computer to arrive, you have no idea.

No fundamental gameplay changes in this patch.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 03-28-2006 08:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Here's a quote from someone over at idsoftware -- figured it would be a good idea to post it.

Quote:
Please take down your mirror for the Quake 4 1.1 beta and/or final. There is a problem with the widescreen functionality that may harm a user's monitor. We are working on a re-release and will make it available as soon as possible. Please advise your viewers that may be using the current 1.1 beta and/or final to NOT enable widescreen or disable widescreen if they are currently using it.

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 03-28-2006 08:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ah jeeze. I only just got done configuring the server

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 03-28-2006 09:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Any more info on that? I've been testing/playing for hours in widescreen :paranoid:

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 03-29-2006 01:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

CRAP, they didn't add maxpackets, snaps, timenudge .................................
ccc
:///

damn, i really had hope that they'll fix 20-180 ping problem by adding client cmds like in q3..
that's a huge miss, i still can't play q4 on inet,..

btw also no status, players cmds on server console :///

id consider these cmds plzzzz

everything else is gg..

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 03-29-2006 04:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

CashMoney wrote:
Any more info on that? I've been testing/playing for hours in widescreen :paranoid:

That's the only info I have sorry. I received this quote in an email from a rep at step-3, which was given to him by somone over at ID.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 03-29-2006 06:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

niko wrote:
CRAP, they didn't add maxpackets, snaps, timenudge
Read up. There are commands for thing like that. Not exactly the same like in Q3 but similar functionality. Read the network settings guide at upsetchaps.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 03-29-2006 06:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oeloe wrote:
niko wrote:
CRAP, they didn't add maxpackets, snaps, timenudge
Read up. There are commands for thing like that. Not exactly the same like in Q3 but similar functionality. Read the network settings guide at upsetchaps.

did like 4 months ago, doesn't work.. :icon27:

you read up! :icon34:
there's a ping going up & down problem since 1.0, game release..
this is something that was promised to be fixed.. :icon23:

i'm not the only one having this prob. qw/q2/q3 stable 12 ping (packets 60, snaps 40, rate 12000) and q4 crazy ping with 20-180 (sometimes it's 80-300) with all combinations of settings (from http://ucguides.savagehelp.com/Quake4/connection.htm).

ccc

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 03-29-2006 08:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So are you getting packetloss? Tried com_showAsyncStats 1? Are the used up and downstream bandwidth very low/high?

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 03-29-2006 02:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

did try all that, this is a common prob. on varius isps... (i'm one of 20 ppl have this as a problem..)
it's a lot worse on dsl connections, they have 450-999 ping (256/64kbit and 512/128)kbit..
i'm on cable 256/128kbit

a couple of us tried some proggy that 'sets the connection right',./. it kinda works but a lot laggy still with ping going up & down.. :/

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 03-29-2006 04:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

niko wrote:
did try all that, this is a common prob. on varius isps... (i'm one of 20 ppl have this as a problem..)
it's a lot worse on dsl connections, they have 450-999 ping (256/64kbit and 512/128)kbit..
i'm on cable 256/128kbit

a couple of us tried some proggy that 'sets the connection right',./. it kinda works but a lot laggy still with ping going up & down.. :/

And you get 12 ping?!

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 03-30-2006 02:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

niko wrote:
i'm on cable 256/128kbit

sucks.
:tear:

I'm pretty sure you're just running out of bandwidth and/or your line has too many neighbors on it.

Try running this command in a dos prompt while the game is running and then go back and see if the ping really was fluxuating during game or not:

ping -n 5000 yahoo.com

if the dos ping was stable, then it's just the game being wierd about how it does the ping. if the dos ping is jumping around a lot, it's probably just your line is too slow for gaming. Just cause you get 12 ping in q3 doesn't mean it is solid 12 ping necessarily. It could be averaging things out a bit, although I do remember it being pretty responsive. anyway it may well be that your ping is not really jumping, but just reads that way in game by how they calculate it. for instance if you drop a packet, and they take that into account in the ping, it may add 40ms to the ping for that reading or something.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 03-30-2006 08:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@midnightq4
tnx for help,
i will try and post results from cmd..

btw the ping was also tested from my inet q4 server, the conn. there is around 100mbit very stable 0% pocket loss, that's why i doubt that it's about connection..
it's possible that we're doing something wrong.. (but ../ 20 of us from different connections?!)hm.. maybe...:/

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 03-30-2006 01:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

On the ping thing, a little more info...

Do a ping to the server's IP like this...

ping -t -l 128 72.226.12.39:28004 >quakeping.txt

Replace with the servers real IP of course.

This will do a continuous ping to the ip on the specific port, with a byte size of 128, change the number to whatever you want, not sure what size packets Q4 sends. It will also output a text file into your "C:\Documents and Settings\yournamehere" folder. I think you can specify a path, not sure.

It will run continuous until you press ctrl-c. Be careful not to forget about it and end up with a humongous text file.

For more info on "ping" type ping /? in the dos box.....or of course Google it. :icon28:

Jagou

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 03-30-2006 07:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have the same problem.I dont think its network lag I think its video lag.

My connection is comcast 786/7m.Looking at showasyncstats even in higher ping servers (100+ ms) I show no lost packets.

I was running the FPS hacked exe(turns off all but ambiant light) and it ran fine.I got to thinking it was my router,but thats not it either.

Not everybody sees this "lag",it seems to get worse the more players there is in a server.

Those of us that are effected by it need to find a fix as it makes the game unplayable at times.

TREASONIST

Dual 36g 10,000 rpm Raptors in RAID 0
Watercooled

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 03-30-2006 08:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You guys that are getting this lag, what are your system specs? Do you have low to moderate CPU and GPUs?

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 04-02-2006 07:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think I finally got rid of my weird video lag in MP, with lots of players.

I forced the refresh rate to 60 for the res that I run. Set through "force refresh rates" in display properties for the video card.

Option is in the menu for Nvidia cards, not sure about ATI.

I also notice a big difference with vsync off. My FPS display doesn't appear to be any different...it always just "jitters" around 60 or so but I can "feel" a difference in the game.

If I don't force the refresh, I get lots of tearing with vsnyc off but with the rate at 60, I only notice a tiny bit of tearing.

Jagou

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 04-02-2006 12:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I prefer a higher refresh rate and more tearing over little tearing and 60 Hz refresh. vsync is evil in Q3 and Q4 because it lags mouse input. Don't use it.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 04-04-2006 07:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Switched to a refresh rate of 85, I don't notice any change at all.
Really "looked" for a difference too.

Jagou

NOT OK
NOT OK
PostPosted: 04-04-2006 11:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Is it fixed yet?

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 04-05-2006 03:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quote:
Is it fixed yet?

Is the game fixed ? Sorta, not really.

Although, I at this point after weeks of piddling with this game, I have finally got the game to run very well, stable, and the performance is really pretty good.

I don't have any MAJOR issues with the way the game runs.
That's not to say I don't have issues with the game.

On another note. I'm going to make a *shudder* comparison to Q3... I have to run quake 4, basiacally at low low quality to get it to perform well enough, IMO, for multiplay. The game still looks quite nice, not too big of a deal. But, always a "but", how does it stack up compared to Q3, that I can run at an incredbile resolution, with everything turned up to max in the game and with my driver settings to High Quality....and the frame rate is out the roof ???

I'm not one of the people that wants Q4 to be like Q3. I like Q4, not completely, there are plenty of obvious issues, we all agree, but I think Q4 is a fine game. I play nightly and have a blast. I just thought it was interesting comparison that I haven't seen brought up yet.

Jagou

Primal screamer
Primal screamer
PostPosted: 04-05-2006 03:21 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Jagou wrote:

On another note. I'm going to make a *shudder* comparison to Q3...

This is sorta how it would go

Quake 3: Original artwork, runs smooth, great pro mods like cpma and osp, fast gameplay,

Quake 4: runs sluggish unless you got latest hardware, sorta lame artwork, okay pro mods like q4max and xbattle,

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake 4 Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.