Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Q3A : missing texture on some machines [solved]

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Q3A : missing texture on some machines [solved]

clueless
clueless
PostPosted: 04-18-2006 10:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hi everyone,

i'm currently building a q3a/osp map and having some problems with a single texture that is missing when the pk3-file of my map is started on some machines.

i searched the forum and found this threat that seems to describe the problem quite well, a proposal how to fix the problem is also given.

the reason why i'm posting this is that i thought the texture (it is gothic/gothic_block/blocks18c_9_evilwindow) came with q3. on the other hand, my problem seems to indicate that this is not the case.

So, finally, my question :

How do i find out where the texture comes from?

(I already searched google for "blocks18c_9_evilwindow" and found nothing. I didn't install the Three Wave Mappack and a search for files named "twpak*.pk3" finds nothing on my system.)

Last edited by dichtfux on 04-19-2006 07:28 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 04-18-2006 11:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I can tell you for sure that the texture doesn't come with the standard, retail quake 3.

I determined this by opening the files pak0.pk3 to pak8.pk3 with a zip program, and it's not in any of them.

You can do a similar thing with the team area, threewave, or any other custom files to locate the texture.

Personally, although it's bad practice, I would be tempted to simply rebundle the texture with your level as /textures/yourmapname/blocks18c_9_evilwindow

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-18-2006 11:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Its from mapmedia.pk3, a pack that, iirc, comes with radiant.

Its a little blighter thats confused plenty of mappers before. You will probably be best do as foo suggests and repackage it in your own directory.

clueless
clueless
PostPosted: 04-18-2006 11:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Foo wrote:
I can tell you for sure that the texture doesn't come with the standard, retail quake 3.

I determined this by opening the files pak0.pk3 to pak8.pk3 with a zip program, and it's not in any of them.

thank you for your efforts.

Foo wrote:
You can do a similar thing with the team area, threewave, or any other custom files to locate the texture.

arrgh, that's bad news. i'll have to write a bash script to do this for me. it would take ages to find the texture by opening all of my pk3s by hand.

Foo wrote:
Personally, although it's bad practice, I would be tempted to simply rebundle the texture with your level as /textures/yourmapname/blocks18c_9_evilwindow

i guess, i'll have to find the texture anyways to do that :-x

clueless
clueless
PostPosted: 04-18-2006 01:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

$NulL wrote:
Its from mapmedia.pk3, a pack that, iirc, comes with radiant.

Its a little blighter thats confused plenty of mappers before. You will probably be best do as foo suggests and repackage it in your own directory.

sorry for ignoring your post, you were faster than me so i didn't even see it when i first responded.

radiant is a thing i hadn't thought about, but all the other machines did not have it installed, so that's very likely to be the answer.

thanx a lot, i'll give it a try.

EDIT: great, what $NulL suggested works. the texture does now show up on the other machines, too. (it is, btw called blocks18c_3_evilwindow and not blocks18c_9_evilwindow as i thought. i misinterpreted the tiny font in radiant.)

Beggar@Q3W
Beggar@Q3W
PostPosted: 04-21-2006 01:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Here is my quick solution.
Do not put any non-official pk3 in baseq3 directory.
Use your own temp mod directory and set up radiant to include it.
Almost all the assets will be inherited except mapobjects.

By doing so you can easily see what assets are custom and should be distributed.
When testing missing textures, you make one more temp mod directory, for example "missing", then put your rc-pk3 there then
quake3 +set fs_game missing
to find errors.

When trying to map for actual mod with this method, you need to re-define or pollute baseq3 because radiant cannot deal with mod on mod.

There are too many GODs in this werld for the ONE&ONLY to be valid. - a13n
Nothing ventured, the rest of everything just given. - a13n
I need a soldier! - Sarge

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.