Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Q4 - Oak Bots - Multiplayer Map AI

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Q4 - Oak Bots - Multiplayer Map AI

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 05-19-2006 04:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just wanted to mention at least one Multiplayer Bot mod that works rather well in testing your FFA, Tourney etc. maps. I don't think it does CTF, but then again who cares about CTF ;).

Check out the:

Install is quite easy to do:
  • Unpack the zip into your Q4's main folder, creating a MOD folder called bot\ folder
    (e.g. Quake4\bot\, CORRECTION!).
  • Launch the mod with Quake4.exe +set si_pure 0 +set fs_game bot
  • In-game open the console and create the special AI files the mod requires called .botaas32.

Note: These are *not* compatible with anything created by Q4's editor, e.g. .aas32 etc.
  • Type
    Code:
    runBotAAS mp/<mapname>

(use Tab-key for file name completion)
  • The map will then start.
  • Add bots via addbot command, e.g.
      addbot bot_oak

or

addbot bot_sabot
  • I tested all the current custom and retail MP maps with 3 bots:
      addbot bot_sabot_blackstar
      addbot bot_sabot_tinman
      addbot bot_sabot_fluffy

To me this is *really* great because now I can finally build and *test* the MP maps off-line.

Alas the bots are still really *evil*... merciless perfect aim with the machine gun. So beating them in some maps can really get frustrating, in others they are fine.

As that may be, great addition this mod IMO, motivates me to optimize my first map for Oak Bots.

Presently looking into the Oak Bots Forums to understand what *really* needs to be done to make them work.

P.S. Several folks probably know about this bot, but I just wanted to mention it, so that more mappers take bots into account when doing the clipping for MP. Because - lets face it - most of the time folks will probably play your maps with bots :)

Edit: Fixed small typo in mod folder path, was bots\ should be bot\.

Last edited by AEon on 05-20-2006 09:31 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 05-20-2006 05:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

For those interested in adding Oak Bots support to their maps, I am presently trying to find out about clipping:

How to properly Clip for Oak Bots? @ Oak Bots Forum

clueless
clueless
PostPosted: 05-20-2006 08:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AEon wrote:
Install is quite easy to do:
  • Unpack the zip into your Q4's baseq4\bot\ folder (CORRECTION!)

[...]

Edit: Fixed small typo in mod folder path, was bots\ should be bot\.

According to the readme file and my tests, it should be $Q4PATH\bot and not $Q4PATH\baseq4\bot.

As there is no "baseq4"-folder in my $Q4PATH (only a "q4base"-folder) i'm not that sure what you meant by baseq4, sorry if i just got it wrong.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 05-20-2006 09:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oops... you are absolutely right. Through my recent mapping I have been working so much inside the baseq4\ folder that I had mistaken the path.

Since the Oak Bots are a MOD, they need to be in Q4's main folder.

Fixing above.

AFAICT you could install into any folder name you like, as long as you run the mod from that folder.

Correctiont: Just noted I keep typing baseq4\, this is wrong, it should be q4base\, sorry about the confusion.

Last edited by AEon on 05-24-2006 01:08 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 05-24-2006 12:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There is a quite interesting discussion on clipping for Bots going on over at the Oak Bots forum for Q4 - alas I am still misunderstanding a lot.

http://oakbots.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=100

But as TinMan there points out, a good way to start clipping for Bots is the article Mr Elusive wrote. I recall reading it several times, but can't find the link. It's not in our Sticky Thread either.

Anyone remember that definitive Q3A article on Bots?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 05-24-2006 06:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not sure which one you're refering to specifically, but perhaps this one?

http://www.qeradiant.com/manual/Q3Rad_M ... appn_c.htm

Incidentily, also googled up this one (searched for "mr elusive bot clipping" - 3rd return):
http://www.quake3world.com/ubb/Archives ... 25733.html

:)

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 05-24-2006 10:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The first one is new to me, but looks interesting, the second one I had found as well (used the exact same google search :) ).

As I recall Mr. Elusive, on his own web site, had a nicely formatted extensive article on bots, with check lists what to do and what not to do. E.g. clipping patches, floors and ceilings etc.

What I fear is that the site is down.

I recently tried to find the q3map2 manual, at planetquake.com/spog/ (IIRC), the site was gone.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-25-2006 06:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AEon wrote:
...But as TinMan there points out, a good way to start clipping for Bots is the article Mr Elusive wrote. I recall reading it several times, but can't find the link. It's not in our Sticky Thread either.

Anyone remember that definitive Q3A article on Bots?

Moin, AEon,
I'm not sure if it's the article your looking for, but I found this one (Q3ABotAI_15) on my HDD and put it on my webspace for you (and everyone else who might be interested of course ;)).

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 05-25-2006 08:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That is a very amazing pdf file. Detailed to the extreme. A bit overkill for a "simple" mapper maybe. But from flipping the the document, all the pertinent information should be there.

Alas that is not the article I was looking for either.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 05-25-2006 09:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just looked though our sticky section links, and finally found the article I remember. It was by Cardigan:

AI Misbehavin' - Optimize your map by Cardigan

I remembered the 60'ish look :)

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-25-2006 10:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AEon wrote:
That is a very amazing pdf file. Detailed to the extreme. A bit overkill for a "simple" mapper maybe. But from flipping the the document, all the pertinent information should be there.

Alas that is not the article I was looking for either.

Because you were talking about things related to mapping (e.g. clipping), I wasn't sure if it's the right one.

Some pretty good infos though and the author is MrElusive (J.M.P. van Waveren) AFAIK ;).

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 05-25-2006 11:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I wonder if the info on Cardigan's page about cluster portals could help solve the performance problems (framedrops when botskill > 5) with CPMA bots on Fjogg's map...

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 05-25-2006 11:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o.O

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 05-25-2006 04:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I just read part of it and Cardigan mentioned fixing 'bot stuttering' so i figured it could be relevant. ;)

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 05-26-2006 01:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oeloe wrote:
I just read part of it and Cardigan mentioned fixing 'bot stuttering' so i figured it could be relevant. ;)
It is, esp for bigger maps as it helps control the size of the areas the bots navigate through. If you can reduce the data they use in each area it should reduce mindless stuttering (by the bots that is!).

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.