Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        AEdm7 - AEon's DM 7 Redux - Final!

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: AEdm7 - AEon's DM 7 Redux - Final!

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 05-29-2006 11:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AEon's DM 7 Redux for Q3A - a FFA / Team Map

a) and b) new Arena 3, with LG and RA.

c) "Cubish" tubing changed. Arena is now 2 bocks (2 x 64 units) wider. YA here instead of RA.

d) Arena 1 now with YA and Quad.

e) Added more details to corridors.

f) Map now has enough room for 8 players.

Download coming up in a few hours, fixing a few bugs still.

Last edited by AEon on 06-21-2006 03:00 AM, edited 2 times in total.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 05-30-2006 05:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AEon's DM 7 Redux - BETA 1 - A FFA / Team map for Q3A (& Q4)

Map layout is most inspired by Q4DM1, I rebuilt a few things brush by brush, and a very few areas are actually similar to Q4DM1, but for the most part the map is completely original.

Current Q3A Screenshot for Beta 1

List: Weapons/Items
    RLx2, RGx2, SGx2, LGx1 , MH, RA, YAx2, MH, Quad, Shards, 50 Health (only).

Clipping
    Map is fully player clipped and also bot clipped. The bots understood the map right from the beginning - even without clipping. They do seem to ignore the floating Quad though.

Textures
    Using Evil Lair's eX texture set (originally for Q4) adapted for Q3A, this lets me do a 100% texture convertion to Q4.

Misc
  • The map does not have any ammo... yet?! Personally I don't really think you need it, since there are enough weapons even playing against 7 folks. But I am open to suggestions :)
  • Other than the MH, all health is in 50 packs. Personally I don't think less health is worth the bother since you die in the map quickly enough.

Download

Todo
  • Clean up the pk3, remove useless files.
  • Nice up a few more walls.
  • Optimize item placement, add ammo.
  • Optimize lighting.
  • Vis is already very good (automatically), but a few hint brushes would help.

As always feedback welcome.

Last edited by AEon on 08-13-2009 01:43 AM, edited 2 times in total.Reason: Fixing image links, download works again.

\kill
\kill
PostPosted: 05-31-2006 04:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This map just hit my favorites list, and that's pretty hard to do these days. => It seems to probably need some ammo, but I dunno, as I played it with promode enabled(which gives you a backpack)and it works great with the physics. The bots play great!

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 05-31-2006 05:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My first impression: it feels a bit flat. You could scale it up vertically a bit.

It reminds me of cpm29 but it's more open and less circular.

And again, i'm puzzled by how you managed to get the skybox lines (light blue lines, not black) in this one too on my nVidia card... :icon28:

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 05-31-2006 02:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

v1l3,
thanx... I have probably played over 2000 frags in that map sofar. And I still like it :)... possibly my best map to date.

Oeloe,
IMO the map is just right vertically. More like in q4dm1 makes battles in the arenas a pain. Though Arena 3 is indeed flat, I am still thinking what I could do to change that.

Don't be puzzeled about the skybox lines, in the other thread you should by now have understood that at present *ANY* skybox will show such lines, not matter what hardware you have.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 05-31-2006 04:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No, in the other thread i concluded that they are not generally not visible at all with a normal FOV, but in aedm7 i see the entire box all the time (which i only ever saw on aetour and no other maps)... :X

AEon wrote:
IMO the map is just right vertically. More like in q4dm1 makes battles in the arenas a pain.
Right. It doesn't look like a tourney map anyway so the kind of verticality that i most enjoy (hub3aeroq3/cpm22) isn't feasible in your map.

If you want to give the map it's own feel, i think you should go with some nice custom teleporter models (i like simple rectangular portals with some nice effect to them) and add some colour differences in the hallways perhaps -- something to make the different areas/directions more recognizable.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 06-02-2006 07:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Any other feedback?

Don't tell me Q3A mapping is *that* dead?

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 06-02-2006 07:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Give it some time, you've been pumping out thread after thread lately. :>

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 06-02-2006 09:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

How can I play with this map in single player? :icon32:

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 06-02-2006 01:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

iceman,
  • Download the .zip file and unpack the .pk3 file therein into your quake3\baseq3\ folder.
  • Start Q3A
  • Then via Single Player menu,
  • Skirmish button,
  • Pick Game type: Free for All
  • Click the "Right arrow" button until you find the map AEdm7.
  • Then click the Next button,
  • Choose a Bot Skill, I normally play Hardcore.
  • And finally click on the Fight button.
  • The map should now load and you should be playing against the 7 default Hardcore bots.

Fjoggs,
I guess since I am in "Mapping Possessed" mode again, the clock runs differently for me. Alas I also noticed that forums seem to be really dead on weekends, then when I'd expect folks to actually *have* time. The holiday in the US - the other day - was devastating as well.

Well I still have AEtour Beta 3 to get done... so :)

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 06-02-2006 03:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh thanks man ;)

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 06-02-2006 03:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:( It gives me an error on the windows that there is error on quake3.exe when I try that map :( :icon23: How come? :icon23:

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 06-02-2006 03:55 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You need to update to the latest patch.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 06-02-2006 04:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Foo wrote:
You need to update to the latest patch.

:( Will I be able to access to camping server when I do?

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 06-02-2006 04:07 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I told you how to get around that problem in the other thread.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 06-02-2006 04:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Foo wrote:
I told you how to get around that problem in the other thread.

Well tell me t in this topic :( (download place, Name, Can I access to camping server, what it gives)

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 06-03-2006 02:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hope Foo and wviperw, give this map a test run :)... to me this map is more fun than aetour...

\kill
\kill
PostPosted: 06-05-2006 10:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AEon wrote:
Any other feedback?

Don't tell me Q3A mapping is *that* dead?

I'd say that there is about 700 people that still keep up with whether there is something new that has been custom made for Q3A. The community is definitely shrunk down though. It seems as though mappers that submit their maps to ..::LvL, get around 200-300 d/l's lately...or should I say...since Q4 came out.. It's definitely gotten way more quiet. It's not dead though. I still play Ultimate Doom ...hehe.... I think there are more people that play at home...without internet.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 06-06-2006 07:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Then I'd expect more feedback... *because* the MP maps in Q3A can be played offline with bots. Unless some folks have a bot allergy ;)

Presently testing the Q4 version... adding lighting... hope that works out.

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 06-06-2006 07:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Alright alright, done with my exam. Firing it up now. (Got a B+ :up:)

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 06-06-2006 06:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Here the Q4 version of AEdm7, calling it AEtri (Tri-Arena):

The very first lighting pass seems to work. The FPS of the map is still up so I seem to be getting there. Still needs a lot of fine tuning though... and all the textures have yet to be aligned.

Last edited by AEon on 06-21-2006 03:18 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 06-07-2006 05:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Current Q3A Screenshots for Beta 1+

a) Extra box on arena floor, AP uses new triangle texture, health spread out.
    b) PG replaces LG in Arena 3, health instead of 50Hx2 it is 25Hx3.
    c) One RG replaced with LG in Arena 2.
    d) Toned down lighting on gray crete.

Weapons/Items
    RG, RLx2, SGx2, GLx2, PG, LG, RA, YAx2, MH, and Quad (plus lots of health).

Changes since Beta 1 (suggestions by Todtsteltzer)
  • A1, small AP corner. 50H swapped 25H, add box in "dead end", place 25H on arena floor in corner.
  • Toned down the skybox light shader from 400 to 200.
  • Replace RG in A2 with LG, LG with PG.
  • A3, 2x50H with 2x25H and a 25H on another box near the RA.
  • Split the 50H into 2x25H in several places...
  • Compile without -skyfix to avoid problems with sky for Nvidia folks.
  • Reduced the number of custom textures by about 10.
  • Fixed texture alignment in a few areas.
  • Fixed console warning:
    'textures/aedm7/xxx.tga' TGA file header declares top-down image, ignoring
  • Converted all the .tga textures to 100% quality .jpg's.
  • Texture size down from 7.05 MB to only 1.65 MB.

Beta 2 should be out soon.

Last edited by AEon on 06-21-2006 03:19 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 06-07-2006 06:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Latest shots from AEtri r88:

• Textures now are aligned.
  • Lighting needs more work.
  • Add weapon and item spawn points.
  • Add Jumppads, Acceleration pads and Teleporters.
  • Add decals to floors and walls.

Strange how totally different the map looks in Q4 as compared to Q3A.

Last edited by AEon on 06-21-2006 03:19 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 06-07-2006 07:07 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I had time to run around the Q3 version. My initial gut feeling is that there's too many teleporters but then I'm only looking at it from the perspective of a 1v1 player, and that's not what this map is gonna be for.

BTW for the Q4 version, I think you need to introduce some stronger ambient lighting to the outdoor areas because the shadows look completely OTT for a sunlit area. I know it's a general problem with the Q4 engine rather than map specific but it's possible to tone it down a bit.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 06-07-2006 08:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Foo,
agree...

I have been experimenting with the light for hours now, and the things I tried actually make the map look worse. :(

Will need to do more reading on lighting.

As Kat pointed out Shadows will need to be turned off, or the Q4 MP players will start whining. The lighting for dummies in Q3A via skybox sure has its plus sides :)

Last edited by AEon on 06-09-2006 04:36 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 06-09-2006 06:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Shots from AEtri r99:

• Jumppads, Teleporters, Acceleration Pads all in orange.
  • Added orange deco lights.
  • Added massive amounts of decals.
  • Added weapon and item bases.
  • There is some weird issue with the global lighting alas.
  • Still need to add ammo.
  • Downloadable Beta 1 for Q4 should be available soon.

Last edited by AEon on 06-21-2006 03:20 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 06-09-2006 08:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nice skybox :) The yellow/amber teleporters are cool too :D

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 06-09-2006 06:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's also nice to finally see the skyboxes, made for Q3A without seams in Q4 :)

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 06-20-2006 12:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AEon wrote:
Current Q3A Screenshots for Beta 1+
    a) Extra box on arena floor, AP uses new triangle texture, health spread out.
    b) PG replaces LG in Arena 3, health instead of 50Hx2 it is 25Hx3.
    c) One RG replaced with LG in Arena 2.
    d) Toned down lighting on gray crete.

Weapons/Items
    RG, RLx2, SGx2, GLx2, PG, LG, RA, YAx2, MH, and Quad (plus lots of health).

Changes since Beta 1 (suggestions by Todtsteltzer)
  • A1, small AP corner. 50H swapped 25H, add box in "dead end", place 25H on arena floor in corner.
  • Toned down the skybox light shader from 400 to 200.
  • Replace RG in A2 with LG, LG with PG.
  • A3, 2x50H with 2x25H and a 25H on another box near the RA.
  • Split the 50H into 2x25H in several places...
  • Compile without -skyfix to avoid problems with sky for Nvidia folks.
  • Reduced the number of custom textures by about 10.
  • Fixed texture alignment in a few areas.
  • Fixed console warning:
    'textures/aedm7/xxx.tga' TGA file header declares top-down image, ignoring
  • Converted all the .tga textures to 100% quality .jpg's.
  • Texture size down from 7.05 MB to only 1.65 MB.

Beta 2 should be out soon.

*bump*

Last edited by AEon on 08-13-2009 09:29 AM, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Fixing links.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 06-21-2006 03:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

haha... had not understood the hint...

Yo, should compile beta 2 and upload it... presently working on releasing the Q4 Mapping FAQ on my site (UBB to HTML), so this will take a few more days.

Fixing the broken image links in the mean time.

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 11-15-2009 09:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, I already said how much I like the map (q3 - didn't play the q4 map).

Some things I noticed:

- RA seems a bit easy to reach, maybe add some higher boxes here if bots can do it.
- IMO, the map is a bit too balanced - maybe replace the RG near quad damage with a SG and the SG there with a +50. I also think you don't need two GLs.

- maybe cut off the hallways leading straight out of the GL/TP room - all these corridors in mid felt a bit confusing to me. But maybe it's just me (:
- you also have two 50s right next to each other near this room - I'd remove one of them and put it somewhere else.

Please don't drop this, it would be sad since it seems nearly finished. Some ammo and some lights in the inner part of the map and it would be fine. The textures are a blast. :)

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 11-15-2009 11:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hehe... when I saw that screenshot I was thinking, "cool map, who the heck did that"... it tool me almost a minute to realize that I had actually created it :owned:

Will look into those points... I presently cannot even fully remember were the weapons were.

IMO, the biggest issue with the map are the TPs, I am thinking of dropping half of them and consolidating some of the paths. Closing off the path you mention would be kinda radical, but may have some merit. Since I am not getting anywhere with my other maps, I might as well try to finish off this map, that IMO really should be almost done.

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 11-15-2009 11:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AEon wrote:
Hehe... when I saw that screenshot I was thinking, "cool map, who the heck did that"... it tool me almost a minute to realize that I had actually created it :owned:

:D :up:

AEon wrote:
IMO, the biggest issue with the map are the TPs, I am thinking of dropping half of them and consolidating some of the paths.

I agree somehow - the TPs also cause a lot of telefrags maybe create some more room for ppl using them. IMO the the TP exits should also be closer to the TPs they are "connected" with - this may reduce the amount of telefrags - not sure about that tho.

Looking forward to an update :b

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 11-15-2009 11:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'll also look into adding some orange and maybe red lighting. Adding new colored lights should be easy enough after all that AEcell practice. Your comment about lights and your screenshot, reminded me that the indoor lighting is a bit drab.

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 11-16-2009 12:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Played again some tdm on your map today (:

As you said the teleporters get really annoying after some time - tho I think you shouldn't remove the one in the RA room and the one with which the RA tele is connected because if you would do so the RA room would be quite dead. Even though you should definitely wide up the TP exit area and set the TP targets closer the the TPs. Had again a bunch of telefrags today. I think the other TPs can be removed - maybe replace them with 50s or slugs.

I don't know if your health placement was just for the beta but I really don't like it. The 50s in the open YA areas are fine but you also have a lot of 50s right next to each other in the corridors. I think you should place them not so close to each other because health and ammo (which is barely needed :/) is what keeps the player moving but I think you know that :)

Some things I like:

- Your ramps are really nice (: You can even skip some JPs in cpma.
- I like the placement of the shards. I go for them really often - the sad thing is that bots don't.
- The box on which the YA is placed in the RL room is really usefull - you can skip the JP leading to the RL strafing over it.
- MH placement is really exiting, it causes some interesting fights. Though I think you should round of the corners in the MH corridor or even use 3 sided prisms for the "edges".

You should contact ID to add this map to quakelive after it's finished, srsly - TDM maps are requested from the community and I already enjoy this one even without ammo! :D

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.