Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake 4 Discussion
        Problems with my Quake 4 Special Edition

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Problems with my Quake 4 Special Edition

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 04-13-2008 11:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi everyone....i just got Q4...and went to install the bonus dvd with Q2 and the mission packs...i keep getting a Access denied thing. everytime. Q4 installed great with no problems. Anyone else run into this problem? i am Running Vista as well.

AMD 64 dual core 4400
Nvidia Gefroce 7900 GS
2 gig of ram
400 gig harddrive.

Thanks!

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 04-14-2008 01:13 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

top of my head guess is, turn off windows defender.

i remember having the same problem with Q3 on XP - windows defender kills processes starting with an underscore.. processes like the old InstallShield applications :s

you can safely turn it on after install

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 04-14-2008 11:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks....ive been trying to figure out how to disable the defender program...i cant seem to figure out how to shut it off! hahahaha do you remeber how to ? :question:

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 04-15-2008 01:09 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

click start/settings/control panel

click Security

click Windows Defender.

in windows defender, click on Tools, and then Options.
scroll all the way down to the Administrative options, and uncheck the 'enable windows defender' (or something similar, its the first checkbox i think).
click save and allow the changes.

its now turned off. try installing again

when youre done, go back to the windows defender and check the box again and save changes. Defender should be running again.

hopefully this works, like I said it worked for me in XP, but Vista is a lot more paranoid ..

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 04-15-2008 12:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks for your help! i found it and turned it off. but its still giving me a access denied pop up.
Should i call ID hotline and see if they have came accross this before?

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 04-16-2008 12:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hmm im scratching my head here, cause I suddenly remember having access denied issues with Q2 as well in the past.. there was a quick fix for it which I cant seem to remember right now :[

a dirty fix would be to just copy the Q2 folder from the dvd onto your harddrive and run the latest q2 patch in that folder. all the installer does is copy the pakfiles, no registry entries or anything..

i dont know the q2 directory structure off the top of my head but the bottom line is that theres a q2 install on the disc that you can just copy..

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 04-16-2008 07:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks dude...im ganna give that try tonight. i got my fingers crossed!

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 04-17-2008 05:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

got it working! thanks dude....i noticed the screen is really small. i had to go int ot the features and adjust it. but i still can see my health bar and stuff like that.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 04-18-2008 01:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

nice one. have fun :up:

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 04-20-2008 05:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Baggedcereals wrote:
got it working! thanks dude....i noticed the screen is really small. i had to go int ot the features and adjust it. but i still can see my health bar and stuff like that.

If you havent fixed this yet, i just had the same problem on my sons.
He was trying to run it at 1600x1200 and it was windowed.
Changing the game resolution to match his windows resolution fixed it.
I dont know what the deal is cause I dont have that problem at all on mine.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake 4 Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.