Quake3World.com Forums
     Programming Discussion
        Rail Jumping with Quake III

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Rail Jumping with Quake III

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 06-17-2008 01:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hello All,

I am modifying an existing mod and one of the things I wish to add is rail jumping and also the ability to jump
with the lightning gun. Does anyone know how this is accomplished in mods like insta? Do I need to add something
in g_missiles for the rail gun?

Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Señor Shambler
Señor Shambler
PostPosted: 06-17-2008 02:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

G_Damage in G_Combat.c might be a good starting point (its where the knockback is performed)

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 06-17-2008 02:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi Kaz,

I noticed the knockback var in these method and also g_RadiusDamage has the following

Code:
// push the center of mass higher than the origin so players
         // get knocked into the air more
         dir[2] += 24;
         G_Damage (ent, NULL, attacker, dir, origin, (int)points, DAMAGE_RADIUS, mod);

But these two methods are only called for weapons that fire missiles like the BFG and RL. I can't work out
how to incorporate a call to these methods from the LG or RG weapon_fire methods. I've had the game crash
on me with some previous attempts :)

I was hoping to find the source for instaunlagged online somewhere but no look as yet. I would imagine the change
is quite simple but I am not great with C and I am only learning the code base for now.

Thanks for the reply.

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 06-17-2008 10:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

weapon_railgun_fire() in game/g_weapon.c is the function you want. If the trace stopped within, say, 64 units, hitting a surface, apply knockback.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Programming Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.