Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Q3A .MD3 importer for 3DS max 7, gmax, or MilkShape 3D?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Q3A .MD3 importer for 3DS max 7, gmax, or MilkShape 3D?

It starts. I win. The end!
PostPosted: 03-29-2005 02:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:mad:

I have tried the latest version of Milkshape 3D, gmax and 3DS max 7 and I just can't find a MD3 importer that works with any of them!

I found what is supposed to be an importer for MilkShape and gmax by a Chris Cookson called q3-md3. I have found three difernt tuts on how to install and use this importer, but it dosen't work!

I get the same error with 3DS max 7, MilkShape and gmax. "Wrong file format!".

Is there anyone who actually has 3DS max 7 or gmax and also is able to import Q3A MD3s?

If so what do you have as an importer plugin and where and how do I properly install it?

Thanks!

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 03-29-2005 05:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's quite possible that you can't use that exporter for Max 7, it was (generally) written for gmax and Max 5 irrc.

Anyway to gmax... what you need to do is load up tempest and go to it's plugins folder (or 'scripts', I can't recall off the top of me noggin). There should be a file in there called 'Exportmd3.dle' which you need to copy from the tempest plugins folder to the gmax plugins folder.

Each app has it's own installation directory, but by doing this it will allow you to use the tempest MD3 exporter in gmax - without loading up Tempest - and so long as you make the model correctly (relative to the limitations of the MD3 format itself) you shouldn't have any problems exporting.

By the way... MilkShape has it's own quite functional MD3 exporter - you *shouldn't* be trying to use an external 3rd party plugin with that app - you do have to create a *.qc file before you export though otherwsie it'll bork things up.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 03-29-2005 06:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm using q3-md3 1.0 with 3dsMAX 6.0 SP1.

Short tutorial on using q3-md3 (hopefully it still works for 3dsMAX 7:

Install it in C:\Program Files\3dsMAX\scripts\

Start up 3dsMAX, go to the Utilities tab on the Command Panel.

Click the MAXScript button, and click on the Run Script button.

Select q3-md3.ms and OK.

In the MAXScript rollout, under Utilities, select Quake3 MD3 Import.

A new rollout should appear, click on the Import MD3 button and navigate to the MD3 that you want to open. Click OK.

PostPosted: 03-29-2005 07:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

OMFG! obsidian you so rule! It works. I am now looking at the RL in 3DS max 7!

KILLER! Now I can get some perspective on the norm of weapon, ammo, and powerup sizes, pollys and verts.

Thanks to all who came to the rescue! :icon25:

brushmangler
brushmangler
PostPosted: 03-30-2005 09:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Magnus wrote:
:mad:
I get the same error with 3DS max 7, MilkShape and gmax. "Wrong file format!".

Thanks!

Funny, i allways use Milkshape to import, no plugins needed whatsoever. Although come to think, my version is rather old (3 or 4 years)

Hr.O

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 03-30-2005 10:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kaziganthe wrote:
importer.
Oh... that what you get for posting when half asleep.. anyway, same still applies as above.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 04-12-2005 12:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
I'm using q3-md3 1.0 with 3dsMAX 6.0 SP1.

Short tutorial on using q3-md3 (hopefully it still works for 3dsMAX 7:

Install it in C:\Program Files\3dsMAX\scripts\

Start up 3dsMAX, go to the Utilities tab on the Command Panel.

Click the MAXScript button, and click on the Run Script button.

Select q3-md3.ms and OK.

In the MAXScript rollout, under Utilities, select Quake3 MD3 Import.

A new rollout should appear, click on the Import MD3 button and navigate to the MD3 that you want to open. Click OK.

i searched via google for this script but couldn't find anything. can you name any source? would be really helpful :)

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-12-2005 05:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Unfortunately, Chris's host server ( http://mojo.gmaxsupport.com ) has been down for quite a while now, hopefully it'll be back online soon.

There are mirrors all over the place though, just do a google search for it and you'll find a bunch.

Here's one particular mirror:
http://www.game-editing.net/dev/sources ... thor&id=44

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 04-12-2005 06:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

thank you so much. i was looking for some way for a while now. haven't thought it might work. i'm going to test it right away.

one thing aside: i saw your shader manual and will read this as soon as i find some time. for now i'm looking for detailed cell shader documentation/explanations, even algorithm. are you into this a bit or got some reference material for this?
thanks again for your help.

- mechaXB

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-12-2005 06:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Haven't added the cel section to the shader manual yet. Look inside the cel.shader included with Q3Map2. Instructions are inside. Not very hard implementing this.

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 04-12-2005 03:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey obsidian, are you the maintainer for q3map2 right now?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-12-2005 05:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Heh, no. Just the shader manual.

That honour is reserved for ydnar and ydnar only!

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-12-2005 06:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, they did exist at one point (in some of the nightlies or test branches), but have since been removed. I may remove those sections eventually.

NOT OK
NOT OK
PostPosted: 04-12-2005 07:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey obsidion. Totally irrelevant, but is there a working version of ptm II somewhere? Why didn't you get your avatar back?

Totally spam.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-13-2005 05:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This is turning into an off-topic/spam thread. Lets keep focused shall we? Either PM me or start another thread for Q3Map2 Shader Manual questions.

I haven't bothered with getting my avatar, partially due to lazyness and secondly, the admins are busy enough getting everything working again that I don't want them boggled down with trivial stuff like avatars.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 04-13-2005 06:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

An ASE importer/exporter for gmax would be even more handy.

Actually, a brain->editor importer would be handiest of all, cutting out the unnecessary and time-consuming brush-building work.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.