Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Decals for Q3A - Rust, ... ?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Decals for Q3A - Rust, ... ?

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 11-20-2009 07:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Alas only yours and those I created for AEcell... so far.

One could "go into" all the maps out there, ask the folks for permission and collect all the decals plus shaders into one convenient pack, sorted by decal theme.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 11-20-2009 09:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I recently registered with cgtextures and they do have a license agreement and a FAQ. If you use CGtexture resources (regardless of how much you modify them) you have to be careful how you distribute them.

FAQ: http://www.cgtextures.com/content.php?action=faq
License: http://www.cgtextures.com/content.php?action=license

Things to take note on: (from the FAQ page)

I've used some of the textures to create a map for a computer game. Can I distribute this map?
Yes, if the textures are used in the map you are allowed bundle them and distribute it as a package.
Please add the following text in the documentation of the map:

"One or more textures on this map have been created with images from CGTextures.com. These images may not be redistributed by default, please visit http://www.cgtextures.com for more information."

Can I put some of your textures on my own website?
Redistribution of the textures by itself is not allowed. Please keep the textures in one place (this site). That way everybody knows where they come from and what the license terms are.

You can re-distribute the decal textures if they are part of something but you cannot just simply collect them into one big pak file and distribute them seperate. If you make a huge decal collection including stuff from CGTextures then you will be breaking their license agreement.

Do these textures fall under an Open Source license?
No. These textures fall under the CGTextures License.

Can I use these textures in my Open Source (Creative Commons, GPL, etc) project?
No, unfortunately the textures cannot be used in Open Source projects because the licenses are not compatible. Allmost all Open Source licenses allow redistribution of the materials, which is not allowed for these textures.

Most of the mapping/mod world is CC or GPL license, so this is bad news for a lot of MODs that might want to use these assets because you cannot re-distribute them with another license. :tear:

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 11-20-2009 10:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sock,
thanks for clearing this up. Ironic... I always had a bad feeling about textures from "other" sources, and now it's clear why.

I had not planned to actually directly use their textures at all. But modified textures also seem to be problematic (i.e. used as source material). That would specifically mean some (most?) of Tabun's decals are problematic :(.

At least we can use them in maps, but will need to add the "credit" text .

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 11-20-2009 10:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looks to me like it's only problematic for mod teams and professional developers. Those should have access to their own dev. databases and resource kits anyway.

I'm used to people stealing just about everything I've ever done for Generations Arena, whereas people seem to be very conscientious about the material I am sharing (even if it is with use of licensed resources). Odd. :]

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 12-20-2009 10:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I just started looking into these textures. Wroks pretty well on floors for me but can you also use these decals on walls? I am sure AEon did it - that means there is something I am not getting right here... :owned:

Thats what I did:

I coverd the brush with the nowdraw texture and the "wall-side" with the decal texture - the ingame result looks like I would look into the skybox.

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 12-20-2009 10:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You can use them on any angle.
Though, why you would wanna place it like that, I don't understand...

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 12-20-2009 10:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What you will want to do with walls:
  • Create a wall (brush), cover it with some "base" texture... e.g. crete.

• Create a detail brush, all sides, but the "top" face with nodraw, then place it on the wall, covering as much as you want to cover with the decal.

Alternative... you could also use a simple patch mesh, and place the decal on that (Note this requires avoiding sparklies though).

• Adjust the alignment, e.g. Shift+B to fit the texture.

My guess is you are using a decal on a caulk textured brush, and since the decal normally does not cover the wall completely - it is partially transparent after all - you are seeing into the void.

Note: Decals work more or less well in-editor. So in-editor the texture may be black/non-transparent, but in-game it will be transparent. GTKradiant v1.4 is pretty good in this respect, v1.5 is really bad at showing transparency and decal previews.

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 12-20-2009 11:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I just want to make the wall look dirtäy :cool:

Thats what it looks like in game. What am I doing wrong?

Edit:

Quote:
Create a detail brush, all sides, but the "top" face with nodraw, then place it on the wall, covering as much as you want to cover with the decal.

Thats what I did - doesnt work :S

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 12-20-2009 11:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lay ur decal thin over the wall
(texturize the surface of the nodrawBrush as usual).

like a sticker! or a washable tattoo!

Last edited by InsaneKid on 12-20-2009 11:40 AM, edited 1 time in total.

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 12-20-2009 11:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ok, I got it. Same method as before but now it works (Oo ?????). Don't ask me how I did that...

btw: Tabun, thank you for sharing your textures =)

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 12-15-2018 05:44 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sorry for reviving dead topic, but I'm speaking to tabun:
Can you make your decal textures hi-res? :) I mean, again go to sources, but this time try to make it larger and more detailed - sure I can do it on my own, but without knowing the sources, I could do only few of them (especially blood splatters). I don't say that the old decal set is bad, just it needs a little bit of upgrade, in age of hi-res textures :D

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.