Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Screenshots

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Screenshots

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 12-04-2009 04:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

fKd,
those "organic" air ducts must really hit in r_speeds, nifty as they look.

Update: I am still rooting for your temp01, though :toothy:

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 12-04-2009 05:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@FKD: Where can i download this map?

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 12-04-2009 12:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AFAIK its for the contest, thus should not be downloadable until after it has finished,,,

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 12-04-2009 10:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

indeed, its just in screenshot mode right now.. gonna try do the whole thing with no beta's or anything.... if it misses the deadline.. i'll just remove the sponsorship textures and throw it at lvl... not that my maps get reviewed lol :D

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 12-05-2009 01:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh its a contest.. didnt know that :).

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 12-05-2009 08:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Anthem wrote:
Remember, we can delay the deadline should several mappers need more time. :)

As a former college lecturer, I should say here....extending deadlines is not a good idea as it only punishes the diligent students ;p

It does look very cool fKd...and I'm hopeful my map wont have the highest tris count now :)

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 12-05-2009 05:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

OMG its a giant laz0r beam! :p

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 12-05-2009 06:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Plastic fantastic!

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 12-06-2009 01:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sock, I can truly say, that without a doubt, you don't make maps. You make art!

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 12-06-2009 02:06 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dONKEY wrote:
Anthem wrote:
Remember, we can delay the deadline should several mappers need more time. :)

As a former college lecturer, I should say here....extending deadlines is not a good idea as it only punishes the diligent students ;p

It does look very cool fKd...and I'm hopeful my map wont have the highest tris count now :)

I never really thought it much of a punishment when deadlines were extended. It gave me time to double check my stuff and touch up work that I wasn't satisfied with.

The ones who got upset over an extension were just super uptight. They're not the only students in the class and some people might have circumstances that give them less time to complete a project than the ones who got the project done.

Don't get me wrong, deadlines are deadlines. But deadlines in the real world have been known to change (for better or worse) and it's just part of working with people. I feel that the ones who get upset should go do a self-study course or something.

/mini-rant end

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 12-06-2009 02:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sock,
concerning laz0rz or beams of light... a trip down memory lane reminded me of AEsculpt:

(Boy that was ages ago).

You will probably cause some weeping in template texture land, with your map... :toothy: It looks simple, but still no one has created shapes in just that way. I like those v-shapes columns and the weapon pad is also very nifty.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 12-06-2009 03:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SM, I meant my post kinda tongue in cheek :)

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 12-06-2009 03:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quote:

This sky looks like like Half-life 2 when the citadel is collapsing

Last edited by AEon on 12-06-2009 03:42 AM, edited 1 time in total.Reason: lvlshot'ed that sucker.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 12-06-2009 01:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Buzzard wrote:
Quote:

This sky looks like like Half-life 2 when the citadel is collapsing

Haha, I agree.

Team Event -O- Horizon

NoGhost Map Making Competition 2 (June 2010)

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 12-06-2009 04:19 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dONKEY wrote:
SM, I meant my post kinda tongue in cheek :)

Then ignore me. I was tired and interpreting things differently last night. :tard:

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 12-07-2009 06:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

np :)

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 12-08-2009 08:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

bla :D

Señor Shambler
Señor Shambler
PostPosted: 12-08-2009 09:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@buzzard: whenever i get some time in the near future i'll try to package and upload it
@fkd: :up: i like how bright the orange is :)
@sock: looks fjoggs-esque :D

I was inspired by mr hipshot's and mr sock's saturation/colorfulness levels, so i've attempted to make my textures less drab, i'm very happy with the preliminary results. is there a good way to get good saturation with lights when using gamma/compensate? i'd like my bluegreen lights to be more bluegreen. also made a cool jumppad

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 12-10-2009 10:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A little preview of my next map, which is participating in NoGhost Mapping competition. It's called "The Dreadful Place", and it's TDM map.

Last edited by AEon on 12-10-2009 10:37 AM, edited 1 time in total.Reason: lvlshot'ed those images.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 12-10-2009 10:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I recognize Tabun's decals... the crack and a smudge puddle :)

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 12-10-2009 12:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The bluish metals by the jump pad looks really out of place.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 12-10-2009 04:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Working on items, lighting, and bots for my new layout now, so it should be ready soon. As you can see, it's an urban map. Here's a shot:

Initially I was going to colorize them using the new AEcel shader, but I found this sweet Mighty Pete skybox and decided it worked best with the original colors. Will probably be daytime in the real map... although I do have some other crazy ideas in mind >:D .

-pat

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 12-10-2009 04:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That skybox is really awesome... hard to believe those are actually AEcell textures... nifty. Hmm... I am not sure I've seen a map with that lighting atmosphere, may be a pity to change it to the more common daytime lighting. Keeping that lighting should make the map quite unique.

If you really need other textures for AEcell, post the requests in the AEcell thread, and I'll get off my butt and create them, if I can :)

Señor Shambler
Señor Shambler
PostPosted: 12-10-2009 05:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pat: reminds me of America's Army with the sunset :)
Shadow: the world needs more team arena texture utilization! looks good

Monkeying around with ArtRage, not really supposed to be much of anything, going to try to draw some skulls and such next :)

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 12-10-2009 07:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Been messing with lights for a few hours now. I should have added a healthier dose of ambient light beforehand, but by the time I realized it I had messed with so many values that I didn't feel like starting over. Oh well, it's only an alpha. Just feel like I wasted some time trying to get lighting smooth, and you can still clearly see that it's all point-lit. Night maps are hard!

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 12-10-2009 09:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I toyed around with one of the earlier versions of ArtRage but it seemed a little overly simplistic for what I do on a normal basis. Took a look again at the website and it seems much better developed now.

How do you like it Kaz, compared to other programs like Photoshop or Corel Painter?

Señor Shambler
Señor Shambler
PostPosted: 12-10-2009 09:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think ArtRage is most useful for digital painting, I default to photoshop for anything more complicated than what I could accomplish with a mouse and a brush. The version I have is still pretty featureless. It's still great fun to "paint" with the oil paint brush :)

Last post for tonight, going to have to tweak some stuff, add glass to the ceiling, etc.:

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 12-11-2009 07:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kaz: Looks awesome man.

A few screenshots from my NoGhost competition map:

Last edited by AEon on 12-12-2009 01:35 AM, edited 1 time in total.Reason: lvlshot'ed those images.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 12-11-2009 09:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Those rock textures look almost like they're normal and specular mapped.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 12-12-2009 01:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

phantazm11,
I like the first shot, how nicely the standard TP fits into the color scheme. You might like to create a more orange stripe texture, to alternate it on the top of the map. Lower floor yellow, med upper orange, top yellow again or so. Presently the yellow stripes are a bit too overwhelming in that shot, IMO.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 12-12-2009 10:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

how very ShadowComplex
cool

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 12-12-2009 01:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian: Nope, just a badass texture. Hell, it is hard to tell it is a flat image when you are standing right next to it. I got it from Fjogg's map "Earth Core Project". It is one of Kat's textures.

[edit] Actually, I was unaware that the Q3 engine could use normal maps until someone asked me about it on IRC a couple of weeks ago. I told the person it couldn't be done, but Donkey set me straight :) Might have to look further into it.

AEon: Good idea. Didn't really think of that for this map. For this project it doesn't matter that much as this is really the only angle where you see that much of the trim, and only from this angle if you stop and stare :)

MKJ: Never played that game. But if the screenshots can be compared to a retail game, I'm a happy man!

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 12-12-2009 10:33 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I was under the impression that Quake 3 was able to support simple bump maps but not full-fledged tangent-based normal maps?

And even then, one would have to up the lightmap resolution to retardedly high values to get a decent bump map working?

Or am I thinking of something else. I could have sworn somebody wrote a thread about this though a year or two ago?

Señor Shambler
Señor Shambler
PostPosted: 12-12-2009 10:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Phantazm11: that's sick! it'd be cool to see the fan in the bottom shot sticking out of the top rocks in the first shot (maybe even two of them)

More changes, much brighter these days, I stole the glass from Doom3 but any assets that aren't mine/copyrighted I'll replace in due time:

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 12-13-2009 12:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kaz: That would've been cool. Didn't think of that. As they are now, the fans supply fresh air to the concrete 'basement" of the level.

I love that last shot a lot. For me, everything just seems to fit together perfectly. I believe I made a glass texture similar to the one in Doom 3 about four years ago. I can dig it up for you if you are interested.

[edit] Forgot to mention a while back that those jumppads are freaking cool.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.