Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        You ever get stressed out while mapping?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: You ever get stressed out while mapping?

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 05:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Per topic, do you ever get stressed out while mapping? I seem to be getting stressed a lot lately when I map. Like I have this bad habit of clinching my jaw real tight and getting all worried about everything single thing that I do while mapping, lol. I think its because since this is my stuff that I am working on (my art), I tend to try and do everything as best as I possibly can. I try to map as fast as I can, try to make the best decisions for my map as I can, try to best as effeciant as I can, etc... And all that leads to is me just getting all stressed out about it. I want to go back to the old days where I can just bring up radiant and enjoy myself. Anyone else like me?

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 06:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sounds like you are listening to the wrong music :icon26:

Seriously though, whats to get stressed about? if its your hobby and not your job then just work at your own pace and just enjoy it. Like you said, its _your_ art not anyone elses, so you dont have to work fast to meet deadlines :cool:

Beggar@Q3W
Beggar@Q3W
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 07:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nice topic!
When I find myself stressed out on radiant, that is, more often than not, because being obsessed by an excessive thought trying to win, make a fame with one map and prove something.
"There is little time left I need to hurry up!"
But it just makes things worse and wastes more time. :icon23:

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 08:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Torchy wrote:
its _your_ art not anyone elses, so you dont have to work fast to meet deadlines :cool:

Actually I do set deadlines for myself. But that's not what stresses me out... Because I can always miss a self-declared deadline and not get too worried about it. I get stressed out about making everything in my maps just perfect, I'd suppose.

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 09:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pardon the language, but I was pretty fucked up before the geocomp3 deadline.

And no, I never get stressed unless there's a special situation like that.
Explains why I spend 1 month between each beta :P

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 02-15-2005 03:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I get stressed when I spend ages working on a layout, and you think it's all come together so you start fleshing it out with detail... then you realise there's a bad issue with the layout, such as bad flow, or a corridor that's too long, or something that's going to cause vis issues... man that really annoys me.

*phew* it's like a weight off my chest now, thanks Redfella :D

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 02-16-2005 06:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Redfella, I assume you get that feeling because you think that you have a flaw in your map or some part is not as good as the rest of the map. Many LD's feel the same way, including me. I believe even pro LD's have that feeling.

Method

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 02-17-2005 11:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Method wrote:
I believe even pro LD's have that feeling.

Nope. Never.

*lightning strikes me*

Okay, yeah. All the time.

It's even more fun when you have a deadline and can't just work on it until it's like you want it. :)

PostPosted: 02-17-2005 08:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nope, never. With me it's purely for my own entertainment. If it starts getting even a little stressful I walk away for a while.

blaze a blaze
blaze a blaze
PostPosted: 02-19-2005 03:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, sometimes I get a bit stressed when I got something important to do in real life, must leave the computer and don't have time to eliminate "this stupid bug in lighting", etc.

Lasery Roboty
Lasery Roboty
PostPosted: 02-19-2005 05:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I get stressed when mapping for a close deadline, like when skyscraper had to be done for reaction quake 3.2, and I had a big math test that same week. I just said 'fuck it', didn't go to school for about 3 days and just mapped constantly to get it done. It was worth it, I caught up on the math and skyscraper made it as an official map in 3.2, and got very popular among the players.

So, if you gotta balance between real life and mapping, choose the mapping :D

Don't be koi
Don't be koi
PostPosted: 02-19-2005 06:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I only get stressed when I'm about 3/4 done and decide "oh hey, I think this little change would work better" and then the cascading changes that result from it end up reworking the entire map. But I'm sure this only happens to me. :icon26:

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 02-19-2005 06:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

voodoochopstiks wrote:
So, if you gotta balance between real life and mapping, choose the mapping :D

haha, thats the best advice I've ever heard... and it's my motto too! :D -Hell, I quit college so I could map more. :P

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 02-19-2005 07:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm planning to quit my job in a couple of weeks so I can map. Seriously.

NOT OK
NOT OK
PostPosted: 02-19-2005 09:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

All I do when I am mapping is get stressed so I generally don't do it.

Lasery Roboty
Lasery Roboty
PostPosted: 02-19-2005 09:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Myth just make sure you have enough $$$ to keep you and your computer alive :D

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 02-19-2005 10:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

l0g1c wrote:
the cascading changes that result from it end up reworking the entire map. But I'm sure this only happens to me.

o hay cascading-changes-buddy!
(I don't do it as often as I used to, but, yeah, I've had that problem at times as well.)

IMO you shouldn't be too quick to quit work/school/socialization/bathing/whatever to map. The security of steady income and the safety net of a degree are good things. Having your cake and eating it too is not only possible, but often smart...

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 02-19-2005 04:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Come on pjw, were just a buncha sloppy mofo's living a pipe dream! Let us enjoy ourselves! :)

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 02-21-2005 02:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

pjw wrote:
IMO you shouldn't be too quick to quit work/school/socialization/bathing/whatever to map. The security of steady income and the safety net of a degree are good things. Having your cake and eating it too is not only possible, but often smart...

Well I have my degree (Interactive Entertainment Technology) and at the moment it's sitting on my CV doing jack shit and probably losing credence by the day, whilst I go to work and sell travel insurance. It's clear to me that there are only two ways to get into the industry:

1: Previous work experience in the industry (denied)

2: A kick ass portfolio (denied for as long as I keep wasting time at "work")

So I think at the end of next week I'll quit this job and let poverty inspire me :)

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.