Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        BluRay - What an unbelievably shitty experience

Post new topicThis topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: BluRay - What an unbelievably shitty experience

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 02-25-2010 04:23 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

When I set this PC up a few months ago I got a bluray reader with it, since the price is reasonable now. Haven't tried it out until today, was waiting for a disc I actually wanted, that was known to be decent on bluray.

Where to begin?
Media player wouldn't play it
I install PowerDVD that shipped with the drive. Complains about lack of HDCP on the monitor
Checked nVidia panel, HDCP confirmed working through the whole chain
Checked PowerDVD forums, known problem with screens not native 1080, no patch available
Download (trial) SlySoft AnyDVD, PowerDVD starts working
Aero gets turned off as soon as the disk starts to play
Menu system won't accept mouse inputs, have to use arrow keys + enter
2 seperate 'OMG BLURAY' splashes built into the disc
5 separate notice screens before the feature starts (~50 seconds)
Pausing the disk then resuming crashes PowerDVD
1 minute from the end of the film, the program exits

Unbelievable.

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 02-25-2010 05:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yet another reason not to watch movies on the PC. Too much bullshit for not much return.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 02-25-2010 07:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:olo: (Sorry to laugh at your misfortune, but I seriously lol'ed)

Reminds me of the Ubisoft DRM thread. If I buy a Bluray, I should be allowed to play it on any hardware that I would like to play it on.

So, now that you've bought yourself a movie on BluRay, what's the likelyhood of you buying another one?

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-25-2010 09:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

this kinda reminds me of DVD's when they came out...

anyone else remember that?

The Mpeg2 codec was guarded, and even when it was "free", Linux users where fucked for a while.

I'll wait for programs like Media player Classic and such to play nice with Blu-ray before i move on it.

stuntcock wrote:
Fuck Sony.

Quoted for honest, raw truth.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 02-25-2010 10:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

apart from the bluray splashes, i fail to see how this is the medium's fault and not the software's. :dork:

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-25-2010 10:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The software being "quality controlled" by sony?

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 02-25-2010 11:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
apart from the bluray splashes, i fail to see how this is the medium's fault and not the software's. :dork:

No simple alternatives are available to me because the medium is slathered in bs drm protections that mean I can't 'just play it'.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 02-25-2010 11:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
So, now that you've bought yourself a movie on BluRay, what's the likelyhood of you buying another one?

Yeah, I dunno. The benefit to value ratio is right down in the shitter. Might sell the drive and move on.

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 02-25-2010 11:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just ordered a bluray burner, should arrive today. Combo deal with 11 free blank discs. I hope I don't encounter this problem. Although mine will be primarily for burning, I would like to watch movies as well. Though my monitor is native 1080.

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 02-25-2010 01:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

stuntcock wrote:
Fuck Sony.

**pats PS3**

no u
no u
PostPosted: 02-25-2010 06:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

slightly ot but:

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 02-25-2010 06:53 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not OT at all.

Now I'm a bit less mad, worth mentioning that:
The video and audio quality were awesome. Noticed a ton of extra details that weren't visible/audible on the DVD version.

A seperate player and TV aren't an option for me, since I don't know which country I'll be in, 6 months from now. I already gave up my decent tv in the UK, can only justify one over here if I go for residency.

Jesus of Suburbia
Jesus of Suburbia
PostPosted: 02-26-2010 09:44 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, PowerDVD9 sucks. Menus sometimes don't work. Audio too. And if you let it go in to screensaver mode (the movie, not the PC) it never comes out, you have to start over.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 04-07-2010 10:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Glad Foo pointed me to this thread... saves me a ton of cash and nerves. Will wait another few years until they finally get BluRay sorted out.

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 04-07-2010 11:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't think there will be much sorting out, most of the things on Foo's list are by design. The phrase 'defective by design' comes to mind.

redline
redline
PostPosted: 04-20-2010 12:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

btw why get bluray if ur screen isnt 1080p?

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 04-20-2010 01:07 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

...cause being a couple of pixels short doesn't magically turn the whole thing into a gameboy.

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 04-21-2010 12:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

not really diggijng the Bluray experience.
either i have a shitty LCD 1080p tv or Bluray movies look grainy with a PS3.
not happy .. will endure until 3D tv's come along.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 04-21-2010 12:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Are you saying you've got a problem with blacks, bru?

Not cool man :|

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.