Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Q3ct4

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Q3ct4

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 01-30-2010 07:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That blows, man. This happened to me over the summer. Lost a map, most of my music, tons of pictures and word files etc. You've just gotta learn from it. Computers are like anything else. You get burned once and then you don't let it happen again.

Now I back up all my files across multiple platforms. External HDDs are very cheap these days, I use a WD external HDD, Divshare.com for big uploads and Dropbox.com for quick daily .map file updates.

Even if you don't want to decompile the beta and start over, this map obviously wasn't a complete loss. You seem to have learned a lot from it. Either hunker down and get back to work or just move on. You'll get over it soon enough ;).

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 01-30-2010 09:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I wanted to resetup my windows and put everything on my external HDD - When I wanted to put everything back in place the HDD didn't work anymore. Maybe it was too old.
Well, yes, external Harddrives are cheap but I am still in school and simply can't afford a new one..

I wouldn't even need to decompile the .bsp because I always put the .map file in the pk3 but the last version I have online is outdated - I was close to release the maybe last beta. With the HDD a lot of new textures, brushes and shader stuff died and now my motivation is arround 0.. I don't want to drop this map because it seems like folks like it and gameplay works out in most parts but I also don't want to redo all this stuff... :(

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 02-01-2010 05:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I wanted to use ID's sfx/fan texture but I'm experiencing problems with it:

Even though there is another brush over the fan-brush I can see directly through to the skybox - why?

Other screenshots:

Path from MH room to RA room.

Wood texture is new.

Path from YA to MH room. Brick texture is new..

Edit:

Fan problem is fixed.

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 02-02-2010 04:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Worked on lighting and added some of Tabun's decals:

The brick texture is looking a bit too clean IMO - gonna work on it again I think..

Update on the brick texture:

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 02-02-2010 07:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If you are going to dirty up the textures, I suggest you add bits of grunge rather than random scratches which would appear more on metal. That last picture looks like someone scribbled random lines over your bricks. Maybe start by dirtying up the mortar and edges. Add some cracks in a few select areas, depending on how large the texture is (don't over do it).

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 02-02-2010 10:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice Obsidian - I didn't even think of that.

Some more screenshots:

I am still looking for a good texture for the boxes...

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 02-05-2010 06:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Any feedback about lighting? Looks a bit weird but I dont know what todo..

Updated my old brick texture.

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 02-13-2010 05:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJEFdxqxRHQ

A quick walk through video I made for some friends. Thought that I could post it here...

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 02-13-2010 07:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The more obvious way would have been to post another beta ;)... for in-depth feedback on all your changes.

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 02-13-2010 10:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I haven't tried this level, but looking at the screens and seeing the movie. You seriously need to change the green door texture and also, scale down the size of your doors. They look huge, I can imagine they look insane in third person....

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 02-13-2010 10:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AEon I don't think the map is ready for another beta yet - maybe I'll put the new version up within the next few weeks...

Gonna look into that Hipshot.

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 02-13-2010 10:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The doors I used in Industrial was 40x80, what are yours? They certainly look a lot larger.

And about that texture, it just looks bad (I'm surprised it's still at CG, I mean, that white line...) and you could probably never have more than one since it's so distinguished.

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 02-13-2010 10:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Let's say they are "a bit" larger :owned:

Hmm, I actually never looked much at the door texture - just needed one and this one was the first best I found.

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 02-20-2010 01:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Is there any way to make this rock wall not look ugly? These shadows look a bit weird to me..

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 02-20-2010 02:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yep, make it a phonged surface

like this
Code:
textures/folder/texture
{
    q3map_nonplanar
    q3map_shadeangle 90
    qer_editorimage textures/folder/texture.tga
   {
      map $lightmap
      rgbGen identity
   }   
    {
        map textures/folder/texture.tga
        blendFunc filter
    }
}

or alternatively

Code:
textures/folder/texture:q3map
{
    q3map_nonplanar
    q3map_shadeangle 90
}

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 02-20-2010 03:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Am I remembering right that if it's made out of a single patch mesh, the edges will get softened shadows?

Edit: This is an example on DM6:

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 02-20-2010 07:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes, single patch meshes will usually be assigned a single smoothing value. Q3Map2 phong shaders have the advantage of working on any (brush, patch, model) surface.

:up: on using the :q3map suffix. I approve.

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 02-27-2010 02:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

***UPDATE***

Link: http://cityy.explicits.de/uploads/maps/q3ct4_b14.zip - 15mb

Notes:

It has been a while since the last update - though I hope folks didn't lose interest in posting some feedback. :toothy: A lot of changes in this version - I wont list them all because I can't even remember the previous version. :b
I would like to know how you guys think about texturing and lighting. Hopefully I can release the map soon.

I hope everything works fine - tell me if I forgott to add something.

Screenshot:

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 02-27-2010 05:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The upper grey parts needs more detail, you did a good job on the bottom half which makes the top look twice as plain.

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 02-28-2010 08:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

***UPDATE - Beta 1.4.2***

Link: http://cityy.explicits.de/uploads/maps/q3ct4_b142/q3ct4_b142.zip(~15mb)

Changes:

- added a lot of clip brushes
- added some more details and lights

Screenshot:

Feel free to give some suggestions about possible things to add/remove. :toothy:

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 02-28-2010 11:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

cityy, I only played your last update (b14), but this is really looking fantastic. Huge improvement over your last map. Looking forward to seeing the whole map taken over by the grungy "under construction" aesthetic. As things are it looks like a few places have gotten much more attention than others, but that is perfectly understandable at this point.

Also, unless it motivates you for some reason, I'd stay away from falling into the habit of updating too frequently. Only update when you really want people to test something new gameplay-wise in your map. Otherwise screenshots will do the job.

Keep it up!

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 03-06-2010 12:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cool to hear you like it Pat! I just updated twice in that short time because the map was hardly playable without additional clipping.

I worked on highlighting the teleporters:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVb3p_yAeWA

What do you think?

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 03-10-2010 10:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Some screenshots:

Removed the stair ways - they have been weird...

The old PG hallway.

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 03-12-2010 02:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

***Update - last beta***

Link: http://cityy.explicits.de/uploads/maps/ ... m4_b15.zip (~ 10mb)

Note: I changed the map name for some reasons. To start the map type "\map ct3dm4".

So here it goes - the last beta. I finally want to release the map.
I would appreciate it if folks take a last look into it and say if it is ok or suggest small changes.

Thanks for all your feedback and the help with this my map - I learned a lot during the build process (e.g. always have a backup of your latest .map online :owned:).

Edit: I just noticed that I forgott to mention cha0s in the readme.. The blue firefly like thingies at the teles are taken out of one of his maps.

Last edited by cityy on 03-13-2010 07:03 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 03-12-2010 05:16 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dropbox is awesome for map backups :up:

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 05-27-2010 08:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey dude, congrats on 2 great reviews. You earned 'em.

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 05-27-2010 09:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks man, I'm very happy with them! :)

Edit:

http://lvlworld.com/review.php?id=2098

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.