Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        kazdm4 - Putrefactory - beta1

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: kazdm4 - Putrefactory - beta1

Señor Shambler
Señor Shambler
PostPosted: 03-12-2010 10:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hopefully nothing is wrong with the .pk3!

Been working on this awhile, let me know your thoughts. Some stuff:

- The exit signs don't necessarily make sense (the one hanging above the JP)
- The exit signs are in english but the poster is in russian... the poster is a last minute addition to see if that is something people think would be good to incorporate into the theme and expand upon - it looks a little out of place.
- Thanks to sock and hipshot for textures, and to pjw obsidian, lunaran, and AEon for loads of initial feedback
- Certain details such as wires connecting lights aren't completely consistant around the map
- Will be adding more crap in such as your standard barrels and crates
- The lights look better when they aren't vertex lit but I haven't had access to 3dsmax in awhile so this is on my todo (see other thread)
- The sky will change, I want to add rain and stuff outside the windows
- You can see the "outside" of the walls from one of the windows above the jp by the YA but i will fix that eventually
- Texture alignment issue on curve by YA
- Not sure about item placement
-Dirt texture is from d3, carpet from RTCW, will replace ASAP, but I didn't think anyone would really care too much.

Screenshot:

Download (17mb):

http://student.cs.appstate.edu/freemancw/junk/kazdm4_beta1.zip

Thanks!

Your Daddy
Your Daddy
PostPosted: 03-12-2010 11:40 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kaz, I just want you to know that cityy is really excited about your map. He's been talking about it in IRC. I think he may have a man crush on you.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 03-12-2010 12:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I am missing the trees:

Un-uniform concrete floor textures:

I recommend clipping these so a player cannot go up the sides, simply able to stand on the bottom portion.

Some of these wood panels become monotonous. I would recommend having some of them broken to expose the floor underneath or protruding up from the ground (as if they were pried).

I think a small platform made of wood would work well here:

And, of course, I think all the fans should have sounds. :D

I like the mood of your map. It is very industrial, but it also has comforting feel with the paintings, carpet and wood (opposed to brick and concrete). I recommend that you theme the map around the second painting addition (the Russian painting) due to a more obvious theme with which to work. You could work that theme in with communist or Russian logos on boxes when you add them, and you could even make it snowing outside.

Overall I enjoyed your map and look forward to future releases. Well done.

Edit:

If this is supposed to be a warehouse / factory I recommend that some of the areas should look more worn down. Perhaps a hanging light or faded wallpaper would help achieve this effect. Also, the water in the lower level is pretty unexplainable. Perhaps one of the pipes broke and that's from where the water came.

Team Event -O- Horizon

NoGhost Map Making Competition 2 (June 2010)

Last edited by Anthem on 03-12-2010 02:53 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 03-12-2010 02:32 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

had no idea this was for Quake 3. I thought you were developing it for Havoc and was like "hot fuck he's made a ton of progress".

Regardless, nice lookin map there man ;)

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 03-12-2010 06:10 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Visually excellent. I think you need to focus down onto the item placement and flow of the level now, which is kinda a backwards way of doing it I guess but whatever :D

The map is just about the right size for tourney, and the items you've placed suggest tourney too (mh, ra, ya, no quad). So I'm gonna go at this from a tourney point of view.

This area should be a spot with a 'major' item:
It's got drop-ins and columns and ins/outs from a whole bunch of different areas and is very interesting to fight in. Would suggest trying amendments as noted in this:
I can't say if they'll work until I try them in-game. Also, block off the route from this room to the old YA spot, maybe still allow the jumppad to exit into this GL room and close off the old YA room altogether. You could close off the other end of the YA route here:
...and add a TP as shown, exiting out on the ledge directly above it.

The added area is nice looking but it's a long corridor with no interesting gameplay opportunities. Placing the RA on a corner where an enemy might unexpectedly pop up coming the other way spices it up a touch, but not enough to make it interesting. Try adding a shorter route out of the corridor as shown here:

And a ledge overlooking the RA as shown here:

\kill
\kill
PostPosted: 03-12-2010 10:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I got excited to see you putting up another map! :D I think the last kazdm4 I saw was a promode map..long time ago. This is a major growth from kazdm3..damn. Nice texture choice. Those missing tree textures are:

models/mapobjects/tree2/branch2.tga
models/mapobjects/tree2/trunk2.tga

and this shader:

models/mapobjects/tree2/branch2
{

surfaceparm nolightmap
surfaceparm trans
surfaceparm nomarks
cull none
sort 10

//nopicmip

{
clampmap models/mapobjects/tree2/branch2.tga
blendFunc GL_ZERO GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_COLOR

}
}

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 03-13-2010 01:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's looking really good Kaz! I think the layout is pretty stable in it's current state. Though I like Foo's idea about the YA.

I have to say I enjoy this map as a tdm/ffa map because it is too big for tourney, IMO. Therefor I would replace the MH with quad.

I think closing off this little edge would make a good plasma climb to the rail. But maybe just me.

All in all this is very good and stable! Btw, I love the jump pad effect - looks really smooth. :)

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 03-14-2010 12:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kaz can design my house-reminds me of the old homestead houses. I likes.

Señor Shambler
Señor Shambler
PostPosted: 03-14-2010 08:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DM, I'll watch out for him ;)

Silicone, I will finish havoc within my lifetime, but in the meantime creating a single quake3 map was more do-able. This alone took me over a year!

I might not respond directly to this feedback for a little while because school is piling on this week, but know that it's appreciated and will be considered in the next revision! I think I also prefer the map as a TDM or FFA map, so I may swap the MH for the quad, but I'll have to give it some more thought before changing anything.

Thanks for the help :)

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 03-15-2010 07:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've played tdm botplay on this one. First of all, I think this will be nice map. I won't give you any gameplay tips yet (I have to test it more), but there are some technical issues. Tbh, I don't like those russian posters, they doesn't fit for me. Same thing with exit signs, I would remove them. Map is pretty much big, very interesting layout, but there is not enough details. This map looks naked, all the time there are the same textures. You have to break this boredom with more textures and structural addons. Right now it's unnaturally empty, sterile. All this gives impression that map is simply unfinished. Also there is not enough items for 4v4 tdm, I was looking all the time for any items. Add more ammo, health and maybe even weapons (at least one more SG). I don't like that there is only one route to get to top level, there is RG and RL, both important, I think there should be at least one more way to get there (tele maybe?). I hope that you will work with bot optimisation, right now botplay is simply wrong :). Add sounds, and of course clipping.

Don't take this all as a negative criticism, above all that I think it's really promising map, which with additional improvements will be exceptional :).

Señor Shambler
Señor Shambler
PostPosted: 03-31-2010 05:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Shadow - That is good criticism for sure, I think you're right about the russian/exit signs, as well as a need for more access to the upper level. I've begun the process of adding details and attempting to add more variety with some of the walls.

Multidirectional
Multidirectional
PostPosted: 04-13-2010 04:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i agree with the hanging light idea along te sides of the very first image only though... in all the other images hanging lights would have to be carefully positioned.. for the first one, a light at each end of the flourescents, hanging two feet down with a wide penumbra ice cream cone type shade.. yeah that would fit there

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.