Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        WTF ?!? why is programming forum merged with level editing ?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: WTF ?!? why is programming forum merged with level editing ?

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 06:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

can someone please change it back ?
programming has nothing to do with this section.
i remember how often they post new threads in level editing and how many in programming discussion.
this cannot work!! programming and modeling/editing are 2 completely different arreas.
Its nonsense, so please take it back.
Thanx
Have Fun!
Bandit.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 07:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There is nothing like seeing a cranky coder get all verbal in the morning! :p

Sock

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 08:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

bad idea... i liked it how it was before...

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 08:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This is LEM... It has nothing to do with programming. :P Looks like programming got axed when they re-ordered the forums. Too bad.

Lasery Roboty
Lasery Roboty
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 09:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

UN-MERGE! PLEASE!

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 09:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

voodoochopstiks wrote:
UN-MERGE! PLEASE!

Thats what I'm trying to say... They never merged it... they just cut the programming forum altogether. Go back and look at the forum index.

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 10:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sucks though :(

the coding forum was handy even if it was quiet.

does anyone still maintain code3arena? could get the archived q3w content and stick it up over there maybe.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 11:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

redfella wrote:
Thats what I'm trying to say... They never merged it... they just cut the programming forum altogether. Go back and look at the forum index.

thats wrong.. it was there until yesterday.. it had 3 threads:
First post!
Ooooh phpbb
Bot coding?
Have Fun!
Bandit.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 12:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

They did merge it. Those 3 threads are still here on this forum. I do hope it's a mistake or a temporary thing because this is not very convenient. I don't think I'm going to stick around if I have to sift through a mapping forum for programming topics.

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 12:34 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Turbanator posted about this in one of the General Disc. stickies.

The merger was done because the forums are slow at the current moment. Having too many 'empty' forums would slow down the site, whereas merging them you have more people discussing things in one place.

Once the forum activity picks up the merged forums can be un-merged.

According to Turb.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 12:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well I don't quite follow that logic, but okay...

How is the programming forum ever going to pick up if it doesn't exist anymore? I doubt people who used to post there are going to start posting in the level editing forum. I only found out because I just checked the other forums to see where those 3 earlier threads went and I found them here.

They should atleast change the forum title to "Level editing, Modeling & Programming" or something like that then (or just generalize it to Editing or whatever).

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 01:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The programming forum will be picking up once q3a source code is released :)

Cobalt Adrenaline
Cobalt Adrenaline
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 01:52 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Programming forum will be back, probably on q3a source release day... for now use the many other forums on the site. I can't have 20 dead forums on the site else people will "return" to see the site is back up, but practically dead. They'll then leave again, and we'll be in a constant catch 22....

The forum is practically relaunching a fresh, we only have 200 people regged anew, so I'd guess 200 active posters, that's not enough to maintain all the forums we had. Programming WILL BE BACK, have my word, if the site picks up soon, it'll be back soon, if it stays slow, it'll be back on source release day.

Cobalt Adrenaline
Cobalt Adrenaline
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 01:54 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

PS: The fact it only had 3 threads in total proves my point to an extent... all 3 of those probably could have been posted in GD, and had more attention/replies and more activity in general.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 02:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Alright. Good to know it will be back atleast.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 02:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So now I'm really confused..
1. the programming discussion was not that empty in the old days.
in the last few days there are only 3 topics, because not everyone found out that the forums are back online.
2. the programming discussion wasn't bound to the q3a sourcecode.
you was allowed to post any programming related topics, like c++, php, or quake mod coding.
3. the quake3 sourcecode will not be released in near future. carmack said, that he took back the sourcecode release(planned to dec. last year),
because someone bought the quake3 engine license and he didn't want that the buyer has any disadvantage.
so we'll probably not get the forum back in the next year ?!?
4. I code my own forum atm and i have good understandings of performance of those forums,
I know that one forum more or less gives no noticeable effekt in using.
give me any reason how this slow down effect can exist and i'll check it.
If you don't have enough knowledge about this, I'll be glad to help you fix this slow down effect, but don't tell me that's normal.

5. if this board has no programming forum, theres no reason for me to stay here.

Sry if I sound pissed off, but I AM!!!! :icon33:
this forum was like a home for me and plenty other good coders(some of the best i've ever met) and i would hate to let it die.
didn't want to insult someone, if i did so, I'm very sry.
Have Fun!
Bandit.

PostPosted: 02-14-2005 03:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

think turb means 'slowdown' as in traffic rather than performance.

all the same, it's by its nature that programming discussion wasn't always a frequent traffic forum - frequent traffic is irrelevant to someone looking for a programming forum on a board for a video game.

for that reason i don't think it's right to close it or that by closing it, the rest of the board is benefiting in any way.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 03:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

4days wrote:
think turb means 'slowdown' as in traffic rather than performance.

you think that one single table row is that much difference ? :p
Have Fun!
Bandit.

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 03:37 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I would agree with what Die said that this forums title should be changes somehow to incorporate the fact that programming topics should go inside.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 02-18-2005 07:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ok i guess you won't change your opinion.
I'll leave this board. For the Coders of you:
I've contacted JazzD and he told me about his new Project:
http://www.freedevs.net/
its a site where you can view and upload tutorials for free.
It has a forum too and it seems that project can grow really large.
I'll join his community and hope some of you do too!
anyway i wish all of my friends here @ Q3W good luck in future :)
Bye
Have Fun!
Bandit.

PostPosted: 02-18-2005 07:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ggs bandit, will let you know if the programming forum comes back.

in the meantime, could you stick up a link to your debugged version of the 1.32 source? would be handy to have that around.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 02-18-2005 08:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It seems silly not to add a seperate forum imo. I understand that if new members think there is no activity then they may be put off, but if they've only come for programming discussion their soon going to see few topics in here anyway.

And besides what's more important, getting new members or keeping existing members?

I also think a programming forum is much more important than an "ID Legends" forum.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 02-18-2005 01:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

it's available on my site.
direct download links doesn't seem to work anymore, sry :(
Have Fun!
Bandit.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.