Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Looking for former Map-center or Levelmakers mods/admins

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Looking for former Map-center or Levelmakers mods/admins

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 09-10-2010 04:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I'm looking for the former mods/admins of Map-center.com or Levelmakers.com. I'm not sure who they all are so a list of people, sites or emails would be appreciated. Perhaps some are still active here? Former regulars are also welcome to reply. Please hit me with a PM here.

Thanks in advance.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 09-10-2010 06:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey Infernis. Long time no see. How have ya been? Good to see you still kickin. :D

Michael
ShadowZombie

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 09-10-2010 07:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sup

clueless
clueless
PostPosted: 09-10-2010 09:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I was a mod there. PM with some more info sent.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 09-10-2010 11:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

FRA_ChaosLegion wrote:
Hey Infernis. Long time no see. How have ya been? Good to see you still kickin. :D

Michael
ShadowZombie

I've been around :)
Thanks mate, how are you?

I'll sent you a PM later.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 09-10-2010 06:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey dude

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 09-10-2010 08:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What do you want peeps details for? (you've got mine already ;) )

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 09-11-2010 01:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I pass through here every few days or so, but it's purely a nostalgia trip. Quite awhile since I played Q3A or TA, or did any beta testing, or reviews for ..::lvl. What sort of info did you want, Infernis?

Nice to see some of the old lags are still around.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 09-12-2010 12:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I guess this is it. I'll pm the rest of you later this day.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-12-2010 01:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

New Map-center.com/Levelmakers.com site!? Is that all about? :P (I hope so at least). :up:

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 09-12-2010 03:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MC rebirth would be pretty cool :)
NightsinS can't touch us this time, I kicked his arse (well, mostly it was Kat :) )

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 09-12-2010 03:56 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

wait... what happened again?

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 09-12-2010 05:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol, I'm not sure I should mention the name...but a certain guy from a certain group thought it was funny to hack MC and LM, also tried mapcraft as well.
We did some private investigation after and found out some stuff about the dude.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 09-12-2010 07:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, working with pm's isn't really practical so I'm just going to post it here.

Recently I started a webdesign course. I still hold the domain http://www.leveldesign.nl and I saw that the http://www.map-center.com domain is free again. So I thought back about the good old days and the possibility of bringing everyone back togather.

I'm not that interested in reviving an editing community. It's too fragmented and besides, we've already got great places to go like this site :D

It was more about giving the old 'group' a place to hang out. Bring back some nostalgia and perhaps start with speedmapping again.

I'm open for all kinds of suggestions. It has to be something that starts out small and can evolve into something bigger or it fades out. The direction should be editing/design but on wider scale. Starting with a forum with like minded individuals sounds like a good begin to me. Not even sure if we need the map-center.com domain.

But making a exact copy of the old Map-center or trying to imitate a existing site only fragments the community further. So....what do you all think?

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 09-12-2010 08:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Like I said Bro I'm all for it. :D Bringing back some speedmapping....to me thats a plus and a :up: from me.

Michael
ShadowZombie

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-12-2010 09:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I was never a part of this community, but I think it would be nice to get some casual competitions started. Surely nothing bad can come out of it, right?

Team Event -O- Horizon

NoGhost Map Making Competition 2 (June 2010)

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 09-12-2010 09:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I like the website ressurection idea, it gives people a common place to go for help, ideas, tutorials and links that is not tied into a specific game.

Maybe a simpler, more generic site that what LevelMakers was, would be a good starting place - forums dedicated to a particular game engine rather one for each game would be a easy way to get started. One thing I enjoyed at LevelMakers was the "Pimpage" forum - it had everything from Quake 2, 3, 4 & QW to Crysis and even Sock's Flipper game.

People mapping for older games like RTCW, Enemy Territory or Elite Force would probably never consider coming to a Quake 3 related forum for help even though they're all based on the same engine and similar tools & techniques are used.

Running a friendly contest once in a while is always a nice diversion - over at SplashDamage there is contest "Scene from a Theme" which is currently in it's sixth round. Because there aren't any prizes the only real requirements are staying with the theme and submitting something by the end date. The winner of the round picks the next theme.

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 09-12-2010 09:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Do you have a place to host stuff, Infernis? If not, I have a spare server.

clueless
clueless
PostPosted: 09-12-2010 10:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Some good ideas here. As I wrote in my rather lengthy PM I don't think that we need another q3a mapping website but a community site with some small contests like speedmapping never hurts. I also like the idea of MrLego to keep the number of forums low. I'd be willing to help.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 09-12-2010 10:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Anthem wrote:
I was never a part of this community, but I think it would be nice to get some casual competitions started. Surely nothing bad can come out of it, right?

Ofcourse everybody is welcome!

@MrLego: I like those ideas.
@Misantropia: I do have space but I'll keep the offer in mind. Thanks alot.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-12-2010 01:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Man I'm just waiting for a place that could replace Levelmakers! It was great in my opinion (map-centre too, but I didn't hang out much there). Ideas for it? levelmakers was best example, give us a place for mapping/modding for multiple games (not only quake3), and mostly id games for start. I mean all doom/quake/wolf titles. And yes, there are ppl who still are making stuff for those old games. I've started q1 map 2 days ago :P. then we can also have source based games as it's biggest community out there beside id games, and then or later all other games. We can have it focused on fps, but tbh i don't have anything against other games, and having sth like SC2 probably would bring a lot of users ;). We can run later some speedmapping events, small map competitions, and try to make bigger projects like for example q1 sp campaign :P. Or we can just write down there a lot of silly things and be happy :). Anyway, yes we want it!

Btw, of course irc channel might be good idea too ;).

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 09-12-2010 01:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think those sites dealt with too many games...

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 09-12-2010 01:43 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I agree with Hipshot.

I think the site would do better if it focused on editing techniques rather than game engines.

For instance, brush-based geometry creation, mesh-based geometry creation, texturing techniques, etc...

All as they apply to level design.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 09-12-2010 10:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A leveldesign/map-center hybrid site would be cool.
Somewhere to hangout would be preferable over an out and out editing site IMO.
If we could encourage texture/asset contests or something like speed mapping, that would set the site apart from the remaining level design sites.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 09-12-2010 11:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Also something like this would be a great place for all those newcomers to the community. Although Q3 is up there in age, the engine itself is still remarkable and fun to map for. Along side other engines to be mapped for as well.

Michael
ShadowZombie

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 09-13-2010 12:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Rage editing may get a lot of interest on those sites

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 09-13-2010 02:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dichtfux wrote:
Some good ideas here. As I wrote in my rather lengthy PM I don't think that we need another q3a mapping website but a community site with some small contests like speedmapping never hurts. I also like the idea of MrLego to keep the number of forums low. I'd be willing to help.

That's great. I'll keep that in mind.

I'm leaning towards using the domain leveldesign.nl. Instead of game specific we could make it leveldesign specific. So the url matches the content.
It should probably start as a basic forum with a few general categories like games and movies and an seperate leveldesign section.
Our focus could be speedmapping and other small contest to gather a crowd and see what comes out of it in tutorial/info wise.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 09-13-2010 02:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

axbaby wrote:
Rage editing may get a lot of interest on those sites

It depends on how editing friendly it is and it would again limit you to one game.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 09-13-2010 02:50 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Infernis wrote:
I'm leaning towards using the domain leveldesign.nl. Instead of game specific we could make it leveldesign specific. So the url matches the content.
It should probably start as a basic forum with a few general categories like games and movies and an seperate leveldesign section.
Our focus could be speedmapping and other small contest to gather a crowd and see what comes out of it in tutorial/info wise.

A site with leveldesign as the domain name should focus solely on level design related content in my opinion.

Also, you might want to try getting a hold of leveldesign.com

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 09-13-2010 02:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You (or I, or anyone involved) must get map-center.com, even if the site doesn't end up being called that.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 09-13-2010 03:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

All these suggestions posted here - creating textures, speed mapping,... - could evolve into something grand considering the age of Map-center.com/Levelmakers.com and of this whole community. <3 Don't stop now!

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 09-13-2010 04:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dONKEY wrote:
You (or I, or anyone involved) must get map-center.com, even if the site doesn't end up being called that.

Someone already has it: wxbshwrgb@whoisprivacyprotect.com (I hate those WHOIS anonymizers).

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-13-2010 05:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Infernis - it's obvious that a lot of people waited for such initiative, as can be seen by amount of responds here. In case you need help with anything, count me in.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 09-13-2010 08:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I must say, I'm quite surprised at how many reactions this topic has gotten. I'm also confused as to hear that map-center.com is already taken. I checked with my host and they said it was available. I'll contact them and ask about it.

Assuming that map-center.com is not an option, I will go with leveldesign.nl. I have to go with Silicone_Milk and say that the domain should match it's content. There is no room for an editor/game specific forum. So would you suggest? What does the community need? Perhaps some examples of a forum layout?

I'll build whatever is needed.

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 09-13-2010 09:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wiki[1] + forums. Forums alone suck for finding[2] useful information and presenting it in a structured manner.

[1] With anonymous access (CAPTCHA-protected) and easy file uploads, no petty upload limit.
[2] Assuming your users even know that there is such a thing as a search button.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.