Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Looking for former Map-center or Levelmakers mods/admins

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Looking for former Map-center or Levelmakers mods/admins

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 09-13-2010 09:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Noted!

Starting with only a forum wouldn't hurt right? I mean, what good is a wiki and upload capabilities if there isn't any content yet?

clueless
clueless
PostPosted: 09-13-2010 12:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Agree. There's too many empty wikis on the internet anyway.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 09-15-2010 05:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So I figured the focus should be on leveldesign in general and the thing that sets us apart are unique contests and events. I was thinking about bringing back some classics. Anyway, I came up with the following forum layout. Suggestions are appreciated.

Please note that nothing would be engine specific anymore. Everything goes.

Community:

General Discussion
    Site feedback

Contests and Events:

Speedmapping
    20 Brush contest
    1024 units contest
    Geocomp

Showcase:

Inspirational
    Portfolio
    Work in Progress

Technical:

Modeling
    Level Editing
    Texturing
    Programming

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-15-2010 09:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Infernis wrote:
20 Brush contest
[/list]

:olo:

Heh, seems to be fine for start. Tho I would like to see sub-sections in Level design for specific games, like Q3,Q2 etc, but that eventually can be done later, when we will see how popular games will be. Also, it's good to start with what you put there, we simply moderate it later with feedback from users ;).

clueless
clueless
PostPosted: 09-15-2010 10:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

With 20 brush contests there's no excuses like 'I don't have time for that contest!', that's for sure. :)

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 09-15-2010 10:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You gotta be kidding me! This takes more time than everything else, just thinking about the actual layout and arrangement of brushes ->building time: a year or two minimum... nah, just joking! :D Let's fire up some of these contests, can't wait for it!

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-15-2010 11:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think that actually turtle-map contest would be very cool. In those you can make really cool and polished levels, while not spending hundreds of hours over it. Also, not only q3 contests :).

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 09-15-2010 11:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dichtfux wrote:
With 20 brush contests there's no excuses like 'I don't have time for that contest!', that's for sure. :)

I'm just saying.......OUCHY

It's just hard for me to imagine making a map with only 20 brushes. I can't make a simple room with that amount due to the fact of all my small detailing I do. :olo:

But I'm game for a new twist.

Michael
ShadowZombie

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 09-15-2010 02:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@ Infernis: Is it possible that there's a typo in your list and you actually meant to write 200 brush comp?
klickie! If so, there may be very well some ppl laughing their ass off as they see us discussing a 20 brush map that actually doesn't look and play like total bull**** :offended:
In case, it's really meant to be a 20-b-comp: What about 20 brushes and 6500 patches? >:D

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-15-2010 03:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Chaosquake held a couple of 20 brush contests back in the day:

http://www.chaosquake.de/files/contests/20bcvol2/

Some pretty cool designs came out of the second one...I remember PJW's "Crate Efficiency" was really cool.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 09-15-2010 11:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

phantazm11 wrote:
Chaosquake held a couple of 20 brush contests back in the day:

http://www.chaosquake.de/files/contests/20bcvol2/

Some pretty cool designs came out of the second one...I remember PJW's "Crate Efficiency" was really cool.

Yeah, that's where I got it from :D

Anyway, none of these challenges/contest will be Quake 3 exclusive. Every brush based game can enter.

Oh and monaster, a patch will count as a "brush" :p

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 09-15-2010 11:31 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I remember the 20 brush comps having a lot actually really good results.

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 09-16-2010 01:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You can do a lot with twenty 100-point patches.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 09-16-2010 03:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol 100 point patch mesh? sounds like a giant head ache :D

but id love for lvlmakers to rise from the ashes :D it was a great community

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 09-16-2010 07:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well considering the buzz it only seems logical to kick it off with a 20 brush contest. I'll setup the site and I'll be on the lookout for some judges.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 09-16-2010 08:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

+1 for a 20brush contest!

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 09-16-2010 10:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Infernis wrote:
Well considering the buzz it only seems logical to kick it off with a 20 brush contest. I'll setup the site and I'll be on the lookout for some judges.

Sweetness. :D

Michael
ShadowZombie

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 09-17-2010 12:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, I've setup the site. It's a phpbb forum with a modified standard style. I created all the forums and I tested it's functionality. You can drop by at http://www.leveldesign.nl and see if everything works. I'll continue to work on it based on feedback and I'll make some graphics for it later on.

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 09-17-2010 01:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The site works .. I am reg'd and made a thread
search works
Making topic works
Registering flawless
Login works
Editing posts works
Change profile and added Avatar

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 09-17-2010 01:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yup, all go

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 09-17-2010 01:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol what?
"The username you entered is too long.
The password you entered is too long.
The password confirmation you entered is too long."

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 09-17-2010 04:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I kept it low to avoid long idiotic names by spam bots. I now set it to 15 maximum. Same goes for the passwords. I figure that would be enough. If not, let me know.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 09-17-2010 09:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm registered and made my first post. Cool beans. :D

Michael
ShadowZombie

Swift and Deadly
Swift and Deadly
PostPosted: 10-03-2010 07:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm glad to see you taking on this endeavor Infernis. Good to see around again too. I have been watching this topic for a bit to see where it would lead to and I do say, I am surprised at the amount of responses. I used to be a mod on MC for a little stint but then had some issues irl and talked to Astro and had my mod status removed. Any-who, if you need more help, and if I am able, I will help.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 10-04-2010 01:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, everyone is already busy posting at the forum so why don't you join us?

Swift and Deadly
Swift and Deadly
PostPosted: 10-06-2010 04:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I saw that, visited right after the last post I made. Will be able to visit/spend more time on the site on the weekends. My IRL job takes up 95% of my time during the week.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 09-02-2014 10:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's a slow day at work. I'm stuck doing the late shift and not much is happening. My thoughts drift back to the old days. I decide to use the wayback machine and go on a nostalgia trip. Naturally I ended up at Map-center which in turn reminded me of this topic. Even though it's almost a decade and a failed resurrection ago I still miss you guys. It was such an tight community and I'm really sad we lost contact. I would give anything for a proper reunion. Just to catch up. I’m not talking new sites or anything like that. Just getting together on IRC or what not. Is anyone still left?

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 09-02-2014 07:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Me...I have Inition on FB, Kat still running Katsbits. I am friends with Godmil on steam.
Not spoken to Anwulf for years, I have no idea what Myth is up to.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 09-03-2014 12:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dONKEY wrote:
Me...I have Inition on FB, Kat still running Katsbits. I am friends with Godmil on steam.
Not spoken to Anwulf for years, I have no idea what Myth is up to.

Andrew man, that timezone difference really killed it for us. Even though we have each other Facebook we're never online at the same time. I miss those long talks mate. Could you ask those guys if it's ok to give me their email addresses? You could PM them to me (yours included). I still have Stjartmunnen on Steam. I'll drop him a message to.

Has anyone ever heard something from Twisted again?

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 09-03-2014 02:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Time zone sucks...I forgot about Henke, yes I think I have him on FB too. I'll ask them all.
I'm pretty sure Twisted would be mixed up in the 4chan fappening thing :)

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 09-03-2014 04:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm sure Twisted has wanked himself to death by now :)
Who are we missing? There used to be more but I forgot all the nicks.
Sumatra, Foo, PJW, Raven, ShadowZombie, Fjoggs, Dichtfux, Shadow, ....

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 09-03-2014 07:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I got Sumatra/Pukka on Facebook.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 09-04-2014 05:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

cityy wrote:
I got Sumatra/Pukka on Facebook.

Excellent. Could you pm me his details?

Also, is Tom Waters still around?

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 09-04-2014 06:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh hi

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 09-04-2014 06:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fjoggs lurker #1!

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.