Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Minecraft - Anyone into it?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Minecraft - Anyone into it?

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 09-21-2010 07:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Anyone here ventured into Minecraft?

Looks quite absorbing, and just wondering if anyone has anything to do with or played with it?

Minecraft is a sandbox construction game which allows players to build virtually anything/where out of textured cubes within a 3D world.

Link

youtube video

wiki

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 09-21-2010 07:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Heard about it from PA. The guy's server is slower than shit. I just bought it... haven't been able to play yet :olo:

EDIT: Just got it... this shit reminds me of Dwarf Fortress...but 3D. This could be highly addictive... :ducky:

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 09-21-2010 08:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This reminds me of 2 games, Blockland and Love - though more like the former.

I think it needs some common purpose so people will be inclined to build constructively rather than breaking apart other people's stuff. Playing through Blockland, it was hard to actually build something since other people on the same server are just working on their own stuff or taking your stuff apart.

Love on the other hand requires you to build collectively or be destroyed by other factions. So you build and collectively defend and attack. I think this approach to the sandbox type game works better. Besides, the cel-shader style of the game looks awesome.

Gameplay video:

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 09-21-2010 09:48 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I made that on the TTLG server.
Yeah, you could say I'm "into" it.
Single-player was good, but multiplayer, even with no threat of death, is like refined crack.
Hopping on the server every day only to be confronted with epic changes made by others keeps you building more... and more... and more.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 09-21-2010 10:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I will never play this. I am already thoroughly addicted just from the description/screenshots.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 09-21-2010 10:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

mrd wrote:
.............. could be highly addictive... :ducky:

Yes I was thinking that too but then I read the comment from ...

Mat Linnett wrote:
........................ multiplayer, even with no threat of death, is like refined crack.
Hopping on the server every day only to be confronted with epic changes made by others keeps you building more... and more... and more.

So Mat, quick question if I may? How big is the virtual world? I mean there are limits or a boundary to be found somewhere isn't there?

Shades of 'The Truman Show' - Trailer

The bit about returning to the server to see massive (epic) changes made and the world keeps growing scare me somewhat. I wonder if the slate is ever wiped clean? Perhaps a server crash would do it, but you'd backup somehow, surely?

Sorry, more questions than answers. Guess I better read and explore some more :smirk: Looking, simply awesome...

Nice videos - Thanks obsidian :up:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-21-2010 11:25 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sounds too much like Animal Crossing to me. Build and/or collect stuff with no real purpose behind it.

I'll skip.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 09-21-2010 11:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hahaha holy shit Mat. That's insane. Refined crack is an understatement. I've been playing this crap for four hours straight... I have to get up for work in five hours. :mad: Feck!

...how do I play multiplayer?

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 09-21-2010 11:53 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey: each world is infinite, and generates more once you reach a border.
As for the slate being wiped clean, that depends on the server admin. It operates much like a Quake game, in that there is a server program and a client one. This means that anyone can run a dedicated server hosting its own unique world.
And yes, our admin runs regular back-ups of the world. Good job too, as fire is a bit buggy at the moment, and the other night someone decided to set fire to the massive wooden cock someone had built on the server. Until we destroyed it, we were getting severe lag, often resulting in disconnections or crashes.

Here's a picture of the giant phallus of fire.

Eraser, unfortunately you've now missed your chance to try it for free, which is a shame, as dismissing this as "Too much like Animal Crossing" is doing it a huge dis-service. In single-player survival mode, it's a genuinely scary game, with an incredible risk/reward mechanic. And getting lost in caverns full of nasties only to emerge triumphant several hours later is just an incredible gaming experience.

I highly recommend reading Rock, Paper, Shotgun's Mine the Gap series of articles.

mrd: To play multiplayer, I think you need to have bought the game. If you have, just click the Multiplayer button on the menu screen and enter the URL or IP of the server you want to join. If you want to have a look around the TTLG server where I'm building my stuff, just PM me and I'll drop you the address.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-22-2010 12:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:
Eraser, unfortunately you've now missed your chance to try it for free, which is a shame, as dismissing this as "Too much like Animal Crossing" is doing it a huge dis-service. In single-player survival mode, it's a genuinely scary game, with an incredible risk/reward mechanic. And getting lost in caverns full of nasties only to emerge triumphant several hours later is just an incredible gaming experience.

I highly recommend reading Rock, Paper, Shotgun's Mine the Gap series of articles.

I read the first two days and I must say, it all looks to be rather extensive. Shame there's no free demo, but at €9,95 it might be worth a quick peek...

edit:
hooked. I read all 5 days and I want to do some exploring myself. I'll get this when I get home. How does the multiplayer work out by the way? Do you feel like you're a loner in the world and then suddenly run into someone, or is it crowded all over?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-22-2010 01:50 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Heh, this video is pretty cool:

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 09-22-2010 02:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
How does the multiplayer work out by the way? Do you feel like you're a loner in the world and then suddenly run into someone, or is it crowded all over?

On the TTLG server we're pretty chatty, but we're all doing our own thing pretty much, although we do spill into each-other's creations. There's also a lot of time spent gawking at other people's creations, and you can see the name tags above people's heads from miles away through scenery. This quite often results in groups of people congregating to examine the latest creation. The TTLG server admin has set the player limit to 10 as he's running it on a virtual server and resources are limited, but with a heftier server, you can increase the player limits.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 09-22-2010 02:42 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'd like to play it but it runs too shitty on my shitty computer :(

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 09-22-2010 04:04 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Shit, dude is making 250,000$ a day selling this game!

bling bling
bling bling
PostPosted: 09-22-2010 05:40 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

word this game is awesome. I got to try it out over the last weekend when everything went apeshit and he made the game free to play. bought it as soon as everything went back up.

SeaNanners has an excellent youtube series going that is instructional and entertaining at the same time.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 09-22-2010 06:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

so whos gonna make a q3 map in this? you know you want to :D

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 09-22-2010 06:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I saw a guy playing it and was intrigued.
From the pure bit-by-bit destructiblity is this a game based on voxels?

Give Me Love
Give Me Love
PostPosted: 09-22-2010 06:41 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ok i bought it. what else can i do besides walk around in the snow punching pigs and pigeons?

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 09-22-2010 07:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Have you tried squatting in the bush and shitting out a leprechaun?

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 09-22-2010 07:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
Have you tried squatting in the bush and shitting out a leprechaun?

:olo:

This game is scary addictive... I can't put it down. The Wiki is helpful if you don't wanna figure out stuff for yourself.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 09-22-2010 07:34 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
I saw a guy playing it and was intrigued.
From the pure bit-by-bit destructiblity is this a game based on voxels?

Yep. Written in Java and represented with voxels. There's something like 59 different cube materials too (not sure how accurate I am. I know it's in the 50s)

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 09-22-2010 08:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Minecraft FIREE WTFFFFFFF!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnjSWPxJxNs

LMFAO

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-22-2010 10:53 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah so I went ahead and bought it. It generated quite the impressive world for me. I spawned in what looked to be a valley surrounded by spectacular shaped mountains. I decided to climb one of and was presented with an impressive view of my surroundings.

So at the top, I decided to dig my own hole. The entrace is barely noticable.

The great thing about this is that during the nights, monsters barely come up there.
Inspired by the Rock, Paper, Shotgun article, I marked the location of my cave with two spires reaching in the skies:

When standing at the base of the spires, we're at the level where the clouds are. Here's a cloud drifting by:

Oddly enough, clouds pass straight through solid geometry so from time to time my cave is filled with a white haze when a cloud passes through.

During night time I dug a tunnel from my cave spiralling downward:

Along the way I dug up quite some coal. At one point, I cut through into a huge opening. It was a cavern inside the mountain with just a tiny exit to the outside world. It's not very well visible in the screenshot, but you can just make out the green tops of the blocks of the cavern.

So using the geometry of the cavern and digging some new paths I made a complete path from my cave to the cavern.

I'm actually excited to find out what's on the other side of the mountain :)

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 09-22-2010 11:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:

Blocks.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 09-22-2010 11:55 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If paypal wasn't retarded I'd already have this game :(

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 09-23-2010 12:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

mjrpes wrote:
Eraser wrote:

Blocks.

:olo:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-23-2010 12:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh anyone know how to get sound out of this? I haven't heard a single sound coming out of this game yet and no, it wasn't my volume settings.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 09-23-2010 12:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

S

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 09-23-2010 01:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

mjrpes wrote:

LMFAO

Nice laugh :olo:

Thanks for those shots Eraser :up:

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 09-23-2010 01:06 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There's a bug with sound at the moment. There is a workaround: Hold F3 and press S while in-game.

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 09-23-2010 01:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

mjrpes wrote:

LMFAO

Ahahaha great :olo: :up:

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 09-23-2010 05:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sales charts.

http://m00d.net/minecraft/sales/

Pretty awesome for an indie game.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 09-24-2010 01:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:
fire is a bit buggy at the moment, and the other night someone decided to set fire to the massive wooden cock someone had built on the server. Until we destroyed it, we were getting severe lag, often resulting in disconnections or crashes.

Here's a picture of the giant phallus of fire.

Serves your right for angering the peen gods :O

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 09-24-2010 05:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Someone take a screenshot!
I'm busy!

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 09-24-2010 06:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

^misantropia^ wrote:
Sales charts.

http://m00d.net/minecraft/sales/

Pretty awesome for an indie game.

Extremely jealous...

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.