Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        On the Edge [Alpha] [QL]

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: On the Edge [Alpha] [QL]

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 12-31-2010 03:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

On the Edge - Remake of "The Edge" for QUAKE LIVE
Inspired by the fact that there's never been a worthy remake of the original, legendary map, this version is under development and planned to be the definitive remake of q2dm1 - it takes things further than any other version has gone: a complete remake of the original from scratch.

I'm hesitant to upload this here as you guys don't really come across as the type who are receptive of map remakes - or alpha versions for that matter, but I'll take my chances anyway!

This is my first map I've ever had a decent release version put together for, so go easy on me :P As I stated in the other thread, this map has a shiteload of errors - so if I achieved anything, it's a world record of map compilation errors! There's random brushes that I deleted before and don't show up in the editor, yet still compile. There's a leak spot that won't go away (the map is boxed up now, obviously not the ideal solution but it's my last resort). I regularly get random ass brushes duplicating themselves and I only notice when I load a bsp compile and see a whole bunch of zerbaing going on. Sometimes random blocks of terrain dissapear - they just dissapear! And don't get me started on the massive amounts of brushes that all-of-a-sudden get buggy vertex points!

Anyway, if you liked the original q2dm1 then give this a go:

Download:
On the Edge [Alpha V1]

Screenshots [thumbnails]:

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

More information on the issues as well as how to run the map are included in the text file.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 12-31-2010 03:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Like I said in IRC and on QL - it`s awesome! Much better than id`s remake "Winter`s Edge".

As for the leaks, it`s most likely that your area portals are not sealing up the areas they connect. You may want to check to make sure your areaportals span all the way to the edges of the doorways, and make sure there aren`t any gaps in the room to other ones that may need attention. You may also have detail brushes used as external geometry. You may wish to check the surfaceparms of external brushes (walls, ceilings, floors, etc.) and make sure they aren`t marked as "detail", this will also cause leaks.

I`m not sure about the other issue regarding buggy brushes.

Overall, an excellent effort and probably the best Edge remake out there. :up:

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 12-31-2010 04:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looks pimp, gj.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 12-31-2010 06:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

looks nice, might wanna use phong shading on ya rocks tho

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 12-31-2010 10:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

fKd wrote:
looks nice, might wanna use phong shading on ya rocks tho

It does have phong shading lol. But it didn't change it's appearance at all! Maybe the shadeangle needs adjusting? Here's the shaders for the 3 terrain textures:

Code:
// --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
// Terrain
// --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

textures/ontheedge/px01
{
   q3map_nonplanar
   q3map_shadeangle 60
   qer_editorimage textures/proto2/px01.tga
   {
      map $lightmap
      rgbGen identity
   }
   {
      map textures/proto2/px01.tga
      blendFunc filter
   }
}

textures/ontheedge/px02
{
   q3map_nonplanar
   q3map_shadeangle 60
   qer_editorimage textures/proto2/px02.tga
   {
      map $lightmap
      rgbGen identity
   }
   {
      map textures/proto2/px02.tga
      blendFunc filter
   }
}

textures/ontheedge/px03
{
   q3map_nonplanar
   q3map_shadeangle 60
   qer_editorimage textures/proto2/px03.tga
   {
      map $lightmap
      rgbGen identity
   }
   {
      map textures/proto2/px03.tga
      blendFunc filter
   }
}

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 01-01-2011 08:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Try q3map_lightmapMergable

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 01-01-2011 09:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Alright I'll give that a go thanks. Also, how do you refine shadows? I want them a whole lot less blocky than they are right now and I tried using light bounces but it takes a massive amount of time to compile.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 01-01-2011 09:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Gaussian blur/antialiasing of shadow edges:

Try samples first, it's a little smarter in that you don't get totally blobbed out shadows. q3map_lightmapFilterRadius looks best with conservatively smaller values.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 01-01-2011 09:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

this looks beautiful. however, i would never play it compared to winter's edge, because winter's edge is a perfect match (by scale) to the q2 edge map. the distances between everything are perfect, which makes maneuvering a pleasure to do.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 01-01-2011 10:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@obsidian: Thanks, the shadowing is much better now! Still couldn't get phong shading to work though :/

@deqer: This will play like Winter's Edge and better in some places. It'll undergo quite a bit of rescaling to needed areas before beta release. Mega room and underground are priorities.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 01-02-2011 06:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Try increasing the shade angle. If you know for sure you want the entire thing phong shaded and no hard edges, use a value of 179.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 01-02-2011 12:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah that is the case. If I looked closely there were bits that were shaded, but overall most weren't. That's with shadeangle 90. I think I must go full-on 179 since it looks ridiculous semi-shaded. Thanks for the help!

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 01-30-2011 11:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

what's going on with this? it's been 28 days... wth, where's the news? you have an ETA on your next release for this? you still waiting for more feedback or something?

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 01-31-2011 10:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

deqer wrote:
what's going on with this? it's been 28 days... wth, where's the news? you have an ETA on your next release for this? you still waiting for more feedback or something?

Considering your recent posting frenzy, I can't quite figure out whether you're trolling or not. In any case, BETA v1 was released a couple weeks back. RC is coming in a few weeks time.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.