Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        House of Dissent (ermap4) released!

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: House of Dissent (ermap4) released!

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-13-2011 09:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've decided to keep my map as it is after the last round of changes based on the beta 2 release. The amount of effort I could put into it now will probably only improve the map marginally. I'm happy enough with the result so I'm calling the current build a final release. The final version of the map can be downloaded here.

Oh and do give this map a spin in CTF mode. Not to actually play it (there's no flags) but to see some background infos on the construction of this map (see the last screenshot below for a sneak preview).

Here's some screenshots:

Last edited by Eraser on 02-17-2011 05:28 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 02-13-2011 11:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Gives me a "file not found" error. :confused:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-13-2011 11:51 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

whooops! I've fixed the link now. Sorry about that!

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 02-14-2011 12:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looking from the screenshots looks totally oldchool :).

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 02-14-2011 12:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It kinda still looks way too wide and open, especially around the MH. Besides that, good work - looks pretty solid.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 02-14-2011 06:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ahh... thanks for fixing it.

The map is quite good I have to admit. To me I actually like the wide open space, especially considering most maps made for Q3 / QL these days tend to be quite tight. (nothing personal against cityy, just my opinion) I think it could make a good 3v3 / 4v4 Clan Arena map. The idea of implementing commentary screens is very inventive, though I personally felt they were too slow for my liking - when I walk up to a screen only to find out it has just ended when I arrived, I have to wait 5-10 seconds to see the text. It`s a really minor nitpick though.

The decisions in design are well-thought out. The grates in the hallway connecting the YA / GL are a good idea since the GL is nearby, and people can spam grenades through them to get some quick frags. Item placement is generally good, though I would`ve swapped the RG and PG with each other. I don`t mind having the railgun in open maps, but if it is included it should be in a tight area such as a hallway where it`s more dangerous to get, and it`s not quite as effective. On the bright side, there`s not many places to camp.

Bots played excellent on this map, probably due to the fact that it`s so wide open and uncomplicated. It could be fun to play both online and off, something that`s usually difficult to achieve nowadays.

The old-school gothic theme is well executed - although custom-textured maps can be refreshing and exciting to see, it`s always nice to have a back-to-basics look such as the one you achieved here once in a while.

It`s a good map man. I`m looking forward to seeing more from you, and definitely try and see if you can get id to add it on Quake Live - we could always use more great maps. :)

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-15-2011 12:08 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for your feedback EmeraldTiger. Glad to see such a positive response :-)

I'm well aware that at this point my mapping skills aren't wildly amazing so the map may not be all that compared to many of the other maps we see these days, but I hope it's a good start and I intent to continue to build more maps in the future, hopefully increasing my skills a lot :)

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-16-2011 04:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cool map man. Simple but well done, and yeah, totally old school. Looks like a map that shipped with the game. I like the wide open space, just means you can straffle all over the place more easily. Keep at it for sure! I've been meaning to get back into mapping but I spend too much time playing my damn guitar :olo:

ps - I'm surprised you didn't name this map the Mystical Potato Head Groove Thing or something :paranoid: :p

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-16-2011 11:30 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

or Raspberry Jam Delta-V :olo:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-17-2011 04:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh, the nicknames of some of the people who responded in my beta thread, and whose feedback I actively applied to the map are hidden within the map. I wonder who can find (and decode) them.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 02-18-2011 03:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

First time I came into the hall with the column next to the jumppad, I thought: "Uh that's Tomb Raider". Don't know if this is a positive thing or not. I guess this map plays pretty good in cpma or ra3 because of the big halls and long corridors. Maybe you should put something onto that block in the main hall, next to that other jumppad, since you can't get onto it anyway. And you should clip that 4 units into the wall underneath.
One more thing came to my mind. What if you could see the real time of the game on the clock? Let's say you take 20 minutes and handle the rotation values, so the minutes are real minutes. Or maybe even seconds? Then you could also take a certain time and use a certain sky and lightvalue according to it.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-19-2011 03:14 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Heh unfortunately that's not possible in Q3A. I did think of making the clock rotate in real time (so it doesn't show the actual time, but it would take 12hrs for a complete rotation) but I decided to speed it up because otherwise you'd rarely see the clock tick beyond the first 15 or 20 mins.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-07-2011 07:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.