Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        AEcell - Cell Texture Pack - beta2 d/l

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: AEcell - Cell Texture Pack - beta2 d/l

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 11-30-2009 11:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well I think there is no need to use a texture reference to create a wood texture of the AEcell sheme. Wouldn't a simple vector graphic be enough?

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 11-30-2009 11:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

By all means, if you know of a vector source that would be fine as well. Since I am not an artist I need some source though.

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 11-30-2009 12:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ok, forgett my retarded talk - looking for a source file now...

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 12-01-2009 07:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

jal_ wrote:
if the set has replacements for all textures, doesn't it break the original purpose of being quick fillers?

Yeah that was my original question too. I've always kind of thought the pack could actually be two packs, one for the bare bones template textures (like evil's, but slightly expanded with flags, teles, lights, and other useful stuff) and another for the "traced" texture packs. I guess it doesn't really bother me that much though.

AEon wrote:
I also noted that rocks, plants, and as you say wood are not part of the AEcell texture pack.

You really don't need them. Terrain map floorplans should be quickly laid out with simple vertical walls and flat floors just like any other map to save time. Add detailed organic formations when you are using real textures later. As for a more complicated map like AEmars which actually uses the set as final textures, I'd probably just use flat appropriately colored textures. And for wood, why not just use one of the flat brown textures?

The base template textures are actually more flexible than I originally thought they would be. Here's a shot of the layout for a map set in Italy. I know I used a couple "traced" textures, but even without them the simple template ones can clearly be used for more than just base/metal mock-ups.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 12-01-2009 07:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pat,
Nice editor shot... fun to see textures put to an unexpected use.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 12-06-2009 08:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No health marker decal? :confused:

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 12-06-2009 09:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pat,
never seen those actually marked in any map out there, same for ammo boxes, so I never created any.

Design: A filled "cross" (+) could be 50H and a outlined one 25H, no idea what the small 5H would look like though.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 12-06-2009 09:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well I always mark 25 and 50 healths, although you could probably skip shards, 5balls and ammo boxes.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 12-13-2009 03:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A few items for you this evening:

Decals:

- I kept instinctively going to SFX for item decals. Floors is also logical I guess but they look out of place with the normal textures.

- The PT decal has the wrong qer_editor image.

- I could use a 25 health marker and a 50 health marker like you mentioned. Also a spawn point marker should be included - maybe use the square and circle that is currently used for the PT editor image.

- I'm not a fan of the surfacelight on the decals. At first I couldn't figure out where the light was coming from because I never would have thought the markers would emit light like that.

Base:

- Why is the "base" directory needed? The pack seems really unorganized because of that folder. Why not put all the walls in the walls dir, floors in floors, etc.?

- I noticed a couple of base textures (temp_floor_03 and temp_wall_04) have TGA and JPEG versions. Is this a mistake?

- Speaking of temp_wall_04, it's not on a large grid. Not very handy if you want to use it without the standard wall showing too.

Misc.:

- You have flat colors in both SFX and base. How come? EDIT: What I meant was you have red, white, and a bunch of shades of yellow/brown flat colored textures in both sfx and base. They look the same, except the sfx ones are smaller. Are the sfx ones for light blending?

Last edited by Pat Howard on 12-13-2009 05:54 PM, edited 3 times in total.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 12-13-2009 03:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I kept instinctively going to SFX for item decals. Floors is also logical I guess but they look out of place with the normal textures.
Could be moved to SFX... would not be much of an issue.

The PT decal has the wrong qer_editor image.
I have not been able to figure this out, in PS it looks fine but for some reason - I am guessing here - the alpha channel seems to be messed up. I have another texture that has the same issue. In-game it looks fine. Not idea what this is. For all other cases it works just fine.

25H, 50H, Respawn pads
Will create those then.

I'm not a fan of the surfacelight on the decals.
This is code from Sock's SAFE map... I always needed / used the extra light, if you don't like it a quick search/replace would let you delete it quickly in-shader.

Why is the "base" directory needed? The pack seems really unorganized because of that folder. Why not put all the walls in the walls dir, floors in floors, etc.?
To separate the evillair's original textures I recreated. Though sorting them into the proper folders would probably make things easier on everyone. Hmmm... will think about this.

I noticed a couple of base textures (temp_floor_03 and temp_wall_04) have TGA and JPEG versions. Is this a mistake?
Indeed... they should all be .tga... will be fixed.

Speaking of temp_wall_04, it's not on a large grid. Not very handy if you want to use it without the standard wall showing too.
Just used evillair's originals... if I understand you comment correctly, then temp_wall_02.tga should also have an issue?

You have flat colors in both SFX and base. How come?
Please explain it in more detail with an example. I have a vague idea what you may mean, but guessing on my part will not help.

That feedback should help iron out the "bugs" in the set. Thanks.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 03-01-2010 07:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey, AEon, how about some CTF decals? You know, flag markers, red arrows, blue arrows - that kind of stuff would be handy.

-pat

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 03-02-2010 09:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Awesome thread!

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 03-02-2010 11:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pat Howard wrote:
Hey, AEon, how about some CTF decals? You know, flag markers, red arrows, blue arrows - that kind of stuff would be handy.

Different colors are not possible... they have to be shades of *one* color. Anyway the coloring would be up the the artists using the textures... the recent CTF map someone creates had blue and red shaders, so that would be the way to go.

About CTF decals in general... I'd need explicit examples... what exactly would be needed. I have one flag already, that can be re-colored via shader. A flag "spawn item" decal might be nifty, not so sure about the design though.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 03-03-2010 04:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I was just thinking a flag marker and some red and blue directional arrows. I guess I could just as easily find arrows elsewhere now that I think about it, and I could just use an oversized weapon marker decal for the flag. Would be convenient to have your own set in there though.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 03-03-2010 06:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

As mentioned "coloring" would have to be "style different" instead... i.e. red base has another arrow style then blue base.

Please collect a few decals you liked, then post a screenshot of them here. That way I can "check" about inspiration.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 03-03-2010 11:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm not sure we're on the same page. The rgbGen const doesn't apply to the decals right? Why do you need them to be compatible for recoloring?

Multidirectional
Multidirectional
PostPosted: 04-23-2010 08:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

this is a great thing you are doing for the community here AEon. Thanks for the texture set! I've just downloaded it and will be playing wit it for the alpha of my first map after some three years of being inactive.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 11-29-2010 02:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just to show you the Defrag map I made with this cool texture pack : http://q3a.ath.cx/?mapdetails=FRcup25

So I tried to make my own shader and recolor it, it's relativiely easy and the shader files are well made. For me, not an experienced mapper, the pack comes in really handy and offer cool possibilities wihtout too much work.
So no big problems for me with this pack in its current state, it's actually one of my favorite ! Thank you AEon.

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 03-21-2011 08:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

How do you determine what value to use to change the color of the textures? Is there a website or program that can help?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 03-21-2011 09:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

rgbGen const ( R G B )

Takes normalized values for R G and B channels.

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 03-21-2011 09:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thank you for that, guess I was hoping for an easy button!

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 03-02-2015 01:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Reupload of the texture set, will probably only work for 30 days, but for anyone interested here it is:

--

AEcell - AEon's Cell Texture Pack - beta2

Details:
  • Texture pack expands evil lair's "template" texture set by about 200 new textures.
  • Textures are based on:
    • Q3A originals by id.
    • A few from evil lair's E8 set.
    • Quite a few new ones based on Tabun's tx_tabgen set (in :q2: / DOOM style).
    • And of course from Speedy's Andromeda set.
    Thanks go to these authors for letting me "trace" their textures.
  • Shaders included for all textures, i.e. JP, AP, fan, grates, lights, etc.
  • Texture set based on grey textures that can be recoloured via shaders.
  • Aside from the weapon/item spawn pads, added several new decals.
  • Using orange texture set version for GTKradiant preview.

Download:
      AEcell_texpack_beta2.zip (2.48 MB) @ mediafire
      (Install: Unpack the .zip into your baseq3\ folder, read the .txt file for details.)

AEcell Demo Map: map-aecell_r06.zip (2.91 MB) @ mediafire
      (Install: Unpack the .zip into your baseq3\ folder.)

From my tests everything should work, but there are bound to be suggestions for improvements, especially the shaders will probably need to be optimized more, e.g.:
    • The lighting on the grates does not look that good.
    • The large round "window" lights (colored blend) could use some more "glow" like the other blend textures.
    • I am still using alphaFunc GE128 most of the time, this may need to be changed.
    Any suggestions appreciated.

Update:
    I added my test map (aecell.bsp) for download as well. This lets potential mappers better check out how the textures actually look in a map. Plus it should be easier to experiment with recoloring via shaders.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.