Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        PC questions

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: PC questions

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 05-01-2011 06:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I hope this is the right place to ask...

I need a new PC so I'm going to build my own. I've never built a PC before.

I know about Tomshardware.com and NewEgg.

Can anyone recommend a good website (or sites) for asking questions about hardward/software and other general questions a newb might have while building a PC the first time?

Hardware recommendations would be very welcome. While I'm not currently gaming, I'd still like to build a gaming rig.

Does anyone here run a system that has more than one video card?

Also, I know there's a big debate on it but, NVIDIA or AMD? Do you have a preference and what made you decide to go with the particular video card you chose?

Thanks in advance for any help and I apologize if I have this in the wrong forum.

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 05-01-2011 08:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

wow you`re still alive

this is the site btw, you can try techreport.com or hardocp.com

just buy the parts you`d want, it`s that simple

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 05-01-2011 08:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yep, still alive and kickin' :D

To be honest, I'm not even sure which parts I should pick first. I'm assuming it's video card, motherboard.

I have a book on it and the parts list they have is:

Case
CPU/Motherboard (fastest processor available; PCI and PCI-Express slots)
RAM - 4GB
At least one SATA drive, 500 GB min
Optical drive (optional but needed if you want to use Blu-ray)
For video card they have PCI-Express 3-D adapter, 512 MB min of Vid memory; nvidia or ati chipset
Sound card
Monitor (going to keep my current monitor)
Ports

I'm hoping a few of you guys will have some recommendations on hardware and why you like what you have.

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 05-01-2011 10:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

just buy the latest, greatest, if it don`t work return it

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 05-01-2011 06:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Most motherboards come with decent sound cards so you shouldn't need to buy one. The normal list of stuff is as follows:

Case
Power supply
CPU
Motherboard
RAM
Video card
Hard drive/Solid state drive
Optical drive

Some other stuff that may/may not be packaged with stuff above:
Fans
Thermal compound
CPU heat sink
SATA cables

What parts you get really depends on how much you are willing to spend in total. Work out a rough budget and we can probably work out a good list of parts for you.

There are a number of build threads in T&T and you can search for a few to get an idea. Here's mine from 2 years ago (can't believe it's 2 years now - still bloody fast).

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=39781

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 05-01-2011 06:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
Optical drive

How far do you reckon we are from being able to get rid of this? With the advent of Steam and the continuing move to streaming/downloading content, pretty much the only thing you need it for at the moment is getting the OS on.

I was recently mucking around with Ubuntu on a spare laptop and evidently you can do the OS install off a USB key. Is that possible with Windows 7 yet?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 05-01-2011 07:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sure you can, but you'll still need a computer with an optical drive to create it (though while you're at it, you might as well slipstream all the service packs into it as well).

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/howtos ... _a_usb_key

My optical drive isn't seeing much use these days, I have a few DVD movies I watch and some software/games that still need an optical. I haven't bought a new one in ages, trusty old NEC drive keeps getting recycled into new systems. BluRay on a computer is probably more hassle than it's worth (see Foo's experience in link below):

http://www.quake3world.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43026

In other news, I just bought an SSD drive and it's amazingly fast! Woooooo!

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 05-01-2011 07:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
Sure you can, but you'll still need a computer with an optical drive to create it (though while you're at it, you might as well slipstream all the service packs into it as well).

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/howtos ... _a_usb_key

Thanks, I read the article, but as far as I can tell, you should be able to do the following from a mounted ISO, correct?

"Insert the Windows 7 install DVD into your drive, and view the files that it contains. Copy all of the files here to a folder on your Desktop."

That's the only place I can see you'd need the disc.

obsidian wrote:
My optical drive isn't seeing much use these days, I have a few DVD movies I watch and some software/games that still need an optical. I haven't bought a new one in ages, trusty old NEC drive keeps getting recycled into new systems. BluRay on a computer is probably more hassle than it's worth

Exactly, and fully agreed on the BluRay point. My current optical drive is recycled and I'll be able to recycle it into the next PC as well. In fact, the reason I brought this up was I used my optical drive over the weekend to check out if my Deus Ex CD still worked. Then I found out I could just add my key to Steam and download it from there. Then it hit me that this was the first time I'd used it since last installing the OS.

obsidian wrote:
In other news, I just bought an SSD drive and it's amazingly fast! Woooooo!

SSD is one of my most eagerly anticipated upgrades for the next PC :D

PS: SSD drive = solid state drive drive :p

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 05-01-2011 08:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

And just where exactly do you intend to get a Windows 7 ISO from? You still have to make one by putting your legally purchased Windows 7 DVD into your optical drive. ;)

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 05-01-2011 08:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MSDN? o_O

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 05-02-2011 09:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies!

I've bookmarked the website links and I've been reading through the threads in T&T.

Obsidian, I'd like to keep the total price under $1,500 if possible.

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 05-02-2011 10:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wab, you can get a kickass PC for under $800 and that`s canadian, with all the latest stuff.

Madman Philosophy
Madman Philosophy
PostPosted: 05-02-2011 02:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

U4EA wrote:
obsidian wrote:
Optical drive

How far do you reckon we are from being able to get rid of this? With the advent of Steam and the continuing move to streaming/downloading content, pretty much the only thing you need it for at the moment is getting the OS on.

I was recently mucking around with Ubuntu on a spare laptop and evidently you can do the OS install off a USB key. Is that possible with Windows 7 yet?

I use my OD all the time, mostly to make photo discs for family and friends. Discs seem to be a bit safer long term storage than USB's as well. What I don't understand, though, is why some new comps still com with floppy drives. :D

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 05-03-2011 10:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SoM wrote:
Wab, you can get a kickass PC for under $800 and that`s canadian, with all the latest stuff.

i guess it really depends on what your definition of latest stuff is.

it cost me around that for my CPU, ram and motherboard.

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 05-03-2011 10:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sorry i didn`t mention it but was refering to AMD

i got a 3.2GHz with 4DDR3 on asus with a 1.5TB drive for 700 and that was over a year ago

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 05-04-2011 01:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Basic suggestions, tweak as necessary:

Code:
Case (hot pink)            100
Corsair TX650 V2 PSU          75
Intel Core i7-2600K         340
Asus P8P67 Pro            190
16GB (4x4) DDR3-1333 RAM   160
nVidia GeForce GTX570 1GB   300
120GB OCZ Vertex 2         170
1TB HDD 7200RPM          70
Optical Drive             25

Total:               1430

This leaves a bit of room for other stuff like fans and cables. Canadian listed prices.

Also, don't buy a case with an included PSU in the same box, it'll be shit.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 05-06-2011 09:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey, You could always go with something like this:

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 05-06-2011 09:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

...if that's what you can afford.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 05-06-2011 09:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I sincerely hope that machine is used exclusively to play MDK 2.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 05-07-2011 10:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

doesn't it suck to know the machine pictured will never play a game other then say Facebook games?

it pained me a little to find that out =]

!Berserker!
!Berserker!
PostPosted: 05-09-2011 05:20 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

One of the big hardware sites recently had an article on how triple SLI setups scale, and it seemed like a waste of money. Apparently, 2 cards makes the best gains.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 05-09-2011 05:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's cool and all that people can do multi-gpu scaling....in their homes..., but for the cost, the power use...on top of its intended purpose, it'd really serve you better to get one (big one if you must) and then swap it out for a more modern one when you actually need to.

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 05-09-2011 06:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i wonder if he's also paying for hydro (electricity), especially running it 24/7 i wanna see the bill

but still i'm sure most of us here would like that setup.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 05-12-2011 08:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The computer belongs to a local doctor, He runs it at a local hospital and they use it to render soft tissue.

the program and etc that they use supports Cuda offloading, with that setup they are extremely close to doing real time full rendering.

Its prob going to be the only time i'll ever touch a EGA Classified motherboard, To bad its not the 2XCPU one. :)

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.