Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        New Particle Studio

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: New Particle Studio

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 05-29-2010 02:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A very nice tool - even more useful since the original Particle Studio seems to have been disappeared from the net (or not? If someone still has a copy on his HDD, please contact me via PM. Or post a not-broken link to a source where it can still be found).

But I'm missing an option to rotate the particle effect. To create, for example, steam that comes horizontally out of a pipe. Or is there already one but it's hidden so good I didn't find it? Up to now, I helped myself out with search & replace in the shader via notepad to edit the orientation.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 05-29-2010 04:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Export as an ASE model and import that in GTK via right click\misc\misc_model and rotate it. :)

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-29-2010 07:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DaEngineer:: Change the angle constraints on the 'Dynamics2' tab.

Freebrief's tool can be found here: http://www.mods-r-us.net/freebrief/q3a/ps/index.html

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 05-29-2010 06:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Chretien wrote:
Export as an ASE model and import that in GTK via right click\misc\misc_model and rotate it. :)

That was the very first thing I tried - doesn't work. The moving direction seems to be defined only by the shader.

$NulL wrote:
Change the angle constraints on the 'Dynamics2' tab.

That only seems to define the area the effect covers on the xy-axis; like cutting a cake into pieces.

$NulL wrote:
Freebrief's tool can be found here: http://www.mods-r-us.net/freebrief/q3a/ps/index.html

Oh yes, I've found that before. But I don't want to register on Fileplanet just for this one file ;)

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 08-03-2010 11:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Massive bump x3.
First post updated.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello yet again!

I've been rather slack with keeping you updated, and the program updated for that matter. Since last time I've added some of the suggestions that have been made. The export button brings up a save dialog so you can name the shader file anything you want. The save buttons now ask before overwriting an existing file. I've implemented a multi-system load and save, you can minimize the window or pause the program by hitting F5, if you want your cpu back :) The timer also resets when you click on it, which is useful if you want to do multi-system explosions and similar. There is an 800x600 and 1024x768 version, a real programmer would have just let you scale the window, but no ones ever been foolish enough to confuse me with a real programmer >:D

Have fun

Download 2.0.b2 (Out of date, see first post for latest build)

Last edited by $NulL on 06-02-2011 01:10 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 08-03-2010 03:49 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

To me it looks like the particle fx from Heretic II.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 08-03-2010 03:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

to me it looks like you should look into something before you comment :D

great stuff $NulL, an essential tool for new q3 maps imo. keep up the good work!

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 08-03-2010 04:15 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

fKd wrote:
to me it looks like you should look into something before you comment :D

great stuff $NulL, an essential tool for new q3 maps imo. keep up the good work!

They look similar!

http://www.file-extensions.org/imgs/app ... etic-2.jpg
http://happypenguin.org/images/Heretic_II.jpg
http://www.ravengames.com/img/upload/no ... 095507.jpg
http://www.bluesnews.com/screenshots/he ... tic2-2.jpg
http://i.d.com.com/i/dl/media/dlimage/9 ... large.jpeg

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 01-24-2011 02:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi
Is the source for this project available? in VB2008 or 2010?
it was posted earlier but it seems like that host is down

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 01-24-2011 02:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If this is half as awesome as it seems, I'm looking forward to using this program a LOT in my upcoming projects. Can anyone post screenshots of their use of this tool in conjunction with quake 3 maps? I'm very curious to see what kinds of things people did/can do with this.

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 01-24-2011 02:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I used it some time ago in an earlier version of my map LFFD to create smoke.

Can be seen in action here (at 0:20)

http://www.youtube.com/user/DaEngin33r# ... bySxG8H8NI

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 01-25-2011 12:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DaEngineer wrote:
I used it some time ago in an earlier version of my map LFFD to create smoke.

Can be seen in action here (at 0:20)

http://www.youtube.com/user/DaEngin33r# ... bySxG8H8NI

Erm, forget the smoke. How did you create that awesome flythrough of your map?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 01-25-2011 07:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, I need a tutorial and cfg for that. Please tell.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 01-25-2011 08:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Probably the same thing they used for camming Event Horizon 3, but I've been wondering about how they did it ever since I saw that video.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 01-25-2011 09:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think people use stuff like q3mme for that but I never really used it myself, I only had a short look at what it can do a while ago. The website has some great tutorials though.

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 01-25-2011 03:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Exactly, I used q3mme. The tutorials on the q3mme page are well done, but it will take a bit of practice and the will to find out things by yourself to let q3mme do what you want. The additional special effects that can be tweaked have not been of any use for me so far, as I only created fly-throughs for my maps, so I don't know how to use them.

Here's the save data of the steam for LFFD
Attachment:
steam.zip [295 Bytes]
Downloaded 817 times

To see the smoke in Particle Studio, you have to open your pk0.pk3 and look for gfx/misc/smokepuff2b.tga. Create a new folder called "gfx" in your textures folder and copy the tga to it. I know, that's not the same directory structure as in the pk3, but I have this tga placed there and the path in the Particle Studio file points to it.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 01-25-2011 03:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

check out trickographie 2. very good use of q3mme (notice the impact-effect):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2spm16AfhQ

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-22-2011 04:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If anyone's interested I've pushed the sources onto github:

https://github.com/FS-NulL

I don't really have any intent to continue this any further, I just did this as an exercise in learning git; but if anyone else wants to add anything go right ahead.

Have fun!

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 05-22-2011 06:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey $NulL, is the link above still the latest binary?

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-22-2011 07:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes, I don't think I've made any changes since my past post.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 06-02-2011 01:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ok not quite done.

It appears not sleeping has turned me into a blatant liar, I've added a couple of new features. Firstly for building waterfalls, you can now make the top of the waterfall emit from the emitter quad by setting the zBase slider in Dynamics 1 to -1. This will shift the whole shader down by 100%, so the top of the waterfall is located at the emitter and not some point high above the emitter. This was originally causing problems as people had to bury the emitter deep within their brush work, to get their waterfalls in the correct location.

Secondly I've added arbitrary rotation controls for the whole system in the systems tab, so you can spin your systems into any orientation you like.

You should still be able to load in previous individual particle systems using the load button, but the multi-system settings file has changed format too much for you to be able to import older multi-system files. Sorry.

Downloads, source and first post updated, have fun.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 08-27-2011 11:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I know it`s a big bad bump, but I was interested in trying it and had a questions which I didn`t want to post in a separate thread, to keep things clean. Does this only support mapping particles on models, or does it support shaders too?

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 08-27-2011 11:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think it generates the needed ase file(model).

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 08-28-2011 03:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It just spits out a shader. It's a piece of cake to make a simple quad ASE model with a pointer to the generated shader - you could probably even hex-edit one in a pinch.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 01-26-2016 08:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sorry for the extreme necro but the download link is down and I cant seem to find any other way of creating a nice waterfall. Can anybody help?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 01-26-2016 09:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 01-27-2016 01:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thank you :)

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.