Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        EntityPlus - A single player Q3 mod

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: EntityPlus - A single player Q3 mod

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 09-02-2011 05:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No, I'm not happy. So I made my own. :V
edit: and unwrapped it

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 09-02-2011 06:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looks good. UVW's look a little wonky mid-blade and also on the handle.

Modo?

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 09-02-2011 06:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Maya. I cut the blade in half to save UV space, the middle section mirrors halfway. Handle already fixed right after I posted this.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 09-02-2011 07:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A cut midway might look odd when properly textured though, especially if you are using a shiny environment mapped image.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 09-02-2011 07:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If this was to be envmapped, I'd use a separate material and UV map for the blade anyway. For now it's meant for bare-bones diffuse, and I wouldn't use such UV space saving tricks (there are more) if I didn't know how to texture that.
Someone split this sword discussion, please.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-02-2011 01:03 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm going to wrap up development on the mod so far and release beta 1 very soon. Maybe this weekend but next week at the latest for sure.

After beta 1 I'll put EntityPlus development on the back burner for a while (something like 3 weeks I think). I'll use the beta for what's it's supposed to be: fixing bugs, nothing more. It allows me to focus a bit on other things in my life and other programming projects that have come along. After that, I'll release version 1.0 which is basically beta 1 with just bug fixes. After the 1.0 release, any new features will be implemented again. The mod's still open source of course, so the main trunk will still be open for development of new features so if anyone wants to work on it, feel free to do so.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 09-02-2011 01:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

...ok, I admit it. Ouija, I consider myself pwned. go ahead and take over the sword thing if you want. you totally stole my thunder though. =(

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 09-02-2011 02:28 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dude is the hilt of that sword the Q3 logo?

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 09-02-2011 03:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

More or less, without the middle part.

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 09-02-2011 03:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's pimp.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 09-02-2011 04:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Some lazy texturing here, but didn't turn out that bad after all.
Leave it as it is?
edit: I tweaked the texture a bit more. That would be about as much work as I'm willing to do here. Too tired to package and upload the model, will do that later. Promise.

Last edited by Ouija on 09-02-2011 05:04 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-02-2011 05:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think it looks ca$h. An envmap would be a perfect finishing touch. Maybe some rust marks on it as well, to make it look "worn out". (Unless it`s a "futuristic" sword) Excellent work.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 09-02-2011 05:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I just tried to mimic the Q3 style a bit. Just fixed it, look above.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-02-2011 05:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Checked out the new version. The design along the side is very complementary... will be excellent for gothic themed maps. You have a lot of potential in the modeling department, and I`d love to see your future works for sure. :up:

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 09-02-2011 07:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

From the top down angle, it looks as if the handle is a bit too thin to match the width of the blade. I would either narrow the blade or increase the width of the handle. I like the texture though.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 09-02-2011 09:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That sword looks extremely painful to use.
Looks good though.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 09-03-2011 01:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
From the top down angle, it looks as if the handle is a bit too thin to match the width of the blade. I would either narrow the blade or increase the width of the handle. I like the texture though.

I'm not changing a thing.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 09-03-2011 02:59 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Plus again it has quite a few smoothing breaks in odd places, even the blade at the end has some, which really distract from the look.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 09-03-2011 04:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5485355/qblade.rar
All permissions to use granted despite the fact I never bothered to read who needs a sword and what for.
Remember, I'm not getting paid for this.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-04-2011 09:08 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

EntityPlus beta 1 released!

So ah, if anyone still cares, go get it :)

The complete list of changes is as follows:

• [Added] func_door_rotating entity.
  • [Added] New credits to exit menu.
  • [Added] Background music plays in main menu.
  • [Added] info_backpack entity which can be used with nodrop brushes to teleport a backpack from an unreachable location to a safe location.
  • [Added] target_playerstats entity which can set a player's health and armor.
  • [Added] target_variable entity which can set or read and compare variables that persist across map changes.
  • [Added] target_cutscene and info_camera for creating cutscenes.
  • [Added] START_UNLINKED spawnflag for func_static.
  • [Added] TOGGLE spawnflag for target_delay.
  • [Added] START_DELAYED spawnflag and count key for func_timer.
  • [Added] SUBTITLE spawnflag for target_print.
  • [Added] cg_drawsubtitles cvar to enable/disable subtitles (also available in game options menu).
  • [Added] cg_drawHoldableItems cvar to enable/disable drawing of holdable item icons (teleporter/medkit/keys)
  • [Added] deathmusic key to worldspawn entity.
  • [Fixed] Spawning a bot with only a Gauntlet results in the bot spawning with a MG and console errors when the bot attacks.
  • [Fixed] Picking up a Gauntlet after it has been removed results in the Gauntlet being unusable.
  • [Fixed] target_unlink with IMMEDIATELY spawnflag won't unlink entities that spawn on second frame (such as movers).
  • [Fixed] target_unlink ALWAYS_UNLINK and ALWAYS_LINK spawnflags have opposite effect.
  • [Fixed] target_unlink toggles unlinked entities if ALWAYS_UNLINK is set and linked entities if ALWAYS_LINK is set.
  • [Fixed] target_score doesn't add any score when triggered.
  • [Fixed] deathtarget key on target_botspawn does not activate entities with matching targetname2.
  • [Changed] Shots at a func_breakable are now counted as hits and thus will positively affect accuracy instead of negatively
  • [Changed] Using the skill key on target_botspawn now actually influences the general AI skill level of that bot.
  • [Changed] Picking up a weapon if no weapons are currently held will automatically switch to that weapon.
  • [Changed] Setting a speed of -1 for target_playerspeed will freeze the player in his spot, unable to jump or duck as well.
  • [Changed] Countdown is no longer displayed when issueing a map_restart.
  • [Changed] Default health value for target_botspawn was changed from 125 to 100.
  • [Changed] Bot health is higher/lower depending on skill level.
  • [Changed] Picking up weapon for which you already have ammo adds normal amount of ammo instead of just 1.
  • [Changed] Removed info_player_deathmatch from entities.def
  • [Changed] Renamed the skill levels.

For some details on the most important changes, go here.

Enjoy :)

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-04-2011 10:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Congrats on B1! Cutscenes are nice.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 09-04-2011 02:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YES! A rotating thingy! Perfect for rising bridges.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-04-2011 08:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Congratulations.

I like seeing a huge update come out suddenly.

I've already updated my map to use deathmusic, subtitle, etc.

I'm going to look into the camera cutscene stuff, and in combination with the target_playerspeed -1 feature.

I also want to look into target_score a bit: I want the player to be rewarded some score points for picking up items, ammo, etc. I'm going to set like 5 points for +5 healths, and +15 points for green armor, +10 points for health, etc. etc. -- it will be a lot of target_score entities. Hmm, should make something like this default maybe? Similar to having a "default" like the bot health.

spawnflag subtitle! thx Eraser ;)

But, I'm having an issue.

It's showing the "wait" value as the message. See screenshot:

This is my code:
// triggered by a target_delay(wait "6")
Code:
classname "target_print"
spawnflags "8"
wait "4"
targetname "text_intro_6"
message "..."

---

Also, another issue is: "wait" does not work on target_print. Probably the two issues are related?

---

Edit:
Also, the map music is still playing when the deathmusic plays. Both music playing together sounds strange. Can I do something like target_script to disable music, and then do info_player_start spawn target to enable music ?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-04-2011 10:43 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

deqer wrote:
I'm going to look into the camera cutscene stuff, and in combination with the target_playerspeed -1 feature.

Not necessary. The player cannot move during cutscenes.

deqer wrote:
I also want to look into target_score a bit: I want the player to be rewarded some score points for picking up items, ammo, etc. I'm going to set like 5 points for +5 healths, and +15 points for green armor, +10 points for health, etc. etc. -- it will be a lot of target_score entities. Hmm, should make something like this default maybe? Similar to having a "default" like the bot health.

You could just use one target_score entity for each score value and have all items target those entities.

deqer wrote:
spawnflag subtitle! thx Eraser ;)

But, I'm having an issue.

It's showing the "wait" value as the message. See screenshot:

---

Also, another issue is: "wait" does not work on target_print. Probably the two issues are related?

---

That is really odd. It doesn't do this when I compile to code to .dll, but it does this when I compile the code to .qvm
Gonna have to go and figure out where that difference creeps in.

deqer wrote:
Also, the map music is still playing when the deathmusic plays. Both music playing together sounds strange. Can I do something like target_script to disable music, and then do info_player_start spawn target to enable music ?

Weird, it doesn't do this for me :paranoid:

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 09-05-2011 06:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bug: Slowing down player via playerspeed screws up their speed when they duck.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 09-05-2011 07:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser: Here is the entities.def file for Ritual's FAKK engine, it might give you some ideas for single player entities.

http://zero.robotrenegade.com/q3w/FAKKentities.def

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-06-2011 05:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
In-editor shots of a map I'm working on. Defining complex game logic using triggers and targets is a bit daunting sometimes:

Top-down shot:

Side view:

And that's not all, because GtkRadiant doesn't draw targeting lines for target2/targetname2 keys.

Now I realize how cool this is, once I've done it myself now. My map is getting pretty busy now, but in a good way. It's interesting to see how a person can use entities in this way to do certain things in the map. You also feel like a programmer. : )

Although I cannot understand what exactly is happening amongst your entities there, I do understand that it's very cool stuff to setup.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 09-06-2011 09:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There's a problem with the func_rotating_door entity which it disregards any spawnflags. This leads to a drawbridge opening sideways. The info_backpack entity is also defective.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-06-2011 11:44 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I didn't code the func_rotating_door entity myself so I'm gonna have to dig into it to find the problem.

What exactly is wrong with the info_backpack entity?

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 09-06-2011 01:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
I didn't code the func_rotating_door entity myself so I'm gonna have to dig into it to find the problem.

What exactly is wrong with the info_backpack entity?

Fir the first one, I found out the problem when I browsed the source code: the spawnflags in the code and the spawnflags in the editor doesn't match (Spawnflags 32 and 64 are used for X and Y axis in the source code while Spawnflags 8 and 16 are used in the editor). However, maybe for the same reason, the CRUSHER spawnflag doesn't work.

As for the info_backpack, the origin point is probably misplaced in the entity definition file.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 09-06-2011 02:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser's map is probably a target practice tutorial like in TF2. That's what I see there, anyway.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-06-2011 10:47 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ouija wrote:
Eraser's map is probably a target practice tutorial like in TF2. That's what I see there, anyway.

smart man ;)

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-06-2011 10:50 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tehSandwich wrote:
Fir the first one, I found out the problem when I browsed the source code: the spawnflags in the code and the spawnflags in the editor doesn't match (Spawnflags 32 and 64 are used for X and Y axis in the source code while Spawnflags 8 and 16 are used in the editor). However, maybe for the same reason, the CRUSHER spawnflag doesn't work.

As for the info_backpack, the origin point is probably misplaced in the entity definition file.

Ah ok, the spawnflags thing shouldn't be hard to fix.
It's still not entirely clear what's wrong with the info_backpack though? What behavior is it showing?

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 09-07-2011 08:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
It's still not entirely clear what's wrong with the info_backpack though? What behavior is it showing?

As it is, the model's origin is placed on the bottom instead of in the center. This lead me to place it halfway in the floor and like that, the game cannot use the entity for anything. I had to place the entity like on the in-editor shot below.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 09-07-2011 10:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's a problem with the model itself.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.