Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        EntityPlus - A single player Q3 mod

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: EntityPlus - A single player Q3 mod

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-07-2011 12:47 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh I see. Yeah it seems that's a problem with the model itself. If it's really a problem, I could always remove the model reference from entities.def (you can do this yourself as well, it's easy to spot). Then it'll just render it as a square box like other non-item entities and that origin will be at the center.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 09-07-2011 01:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Will Ouija's sword be made into a weapon? it seems like he took over my idea and nobody even cares about what the sword was being made for...

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 09-07-2011 02:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

also, does anyone know how I could make custom footstep sounds for shaders? I want more footstep sound variety.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 09-07-2011 05:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It was mentioned in this post and some posts that follow.

There would have to be additional surface parameters coded in the mod - a change to the shader wouldn't be enough.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-07-2011 10:28 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GtkRadiant wrote:
Will Ouija's sword be made into a weapon? it seems like he took over my idea and nobody even cares about what the sword was being made for...

I would like to try to implement a new sword weapon somewhere down the line, just not right now. Too many bugs to fix first. Also, I have no idea how to do weapon animations and stuff and I think that the md3 needs attack animations as well?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-08-2011 03:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Aw, I still need someone to make a spiffy looking objectives overlay for the mod. It looks like this right now:

I'm sure someone can do better than that. If you want the original overlay image as reference, you can grab it here.

I think Noruen said he'd like to have a go at it but I haven't heard back from him since...

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-08-2011 04:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes, I'll do it, just forgot about it because of my focus to MMC #3 :)

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-08-2011 11:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ok, what about this?

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-08-2011 11:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

that's awesome.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-08-2011 01:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Smexy scoreboard Nouren.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-08-2011 01:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

not really. It is just some hint and if Eraser will accept it, it needs some tunning.

But thank you for positive reactions :)

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 09-08-2011 01:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

could there be multiple scoreboards created to fit the different styles of maps? perhaps the desired scoreboard could be chosen by setting a key to the worldspawn?

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-08-2011 01:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GtkRadiant wrote:
could there be multiple scoreboards created to fit the different styles of maps? perhaps the desired scoreboard could be chosen by setting a key to the worldspawn?

in my opinion, i don't consider the scoreboard to be map specific, or to be branded depending on map. it should remain general, with always 2 objectives.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 09-08-2011 02:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think the the scoreboard should remain the same in the sense of 2 objectives, score, and death tally. but I think the visual style of the scoreboard should have some variety instead of a one-size-fits-all layout.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 09-08-2011 02:07 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I agree. It would be cool to see the GUI of the objective board read from an external config file so people could tailor it visually to match the theme of the map.

(A slick sci-fi GUI would look kind of odd on a Heretic remake)

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 09-08-2011 02:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Silicone_Milk wrote:
I agree. It would be cool to see the GUI of the objective board read from an external config file so people could tailor it visually to match the theme of the map.

(A slick sci-fi GUI would look kind of odd on a Heretic remake)

my map that i'm working on takes place in a factory, so i think it should look like this:

*EDIT*

the external file thing sounds like it would be hard for Eraser to implement. I was thinking that we could send him our overlay pics and he could make them into the different styles. The mapper would choose which one he wanted by using a new key in the worldspawn.

Attachments:
overlay.jpg
overlay.jpg [ 30.03 KB | Viewed 543 times ]

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 09-08-2011 03:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Too bad there's not a remapshader command like in Enemy Territory, then it would be a piece of cake.

I wonder if you could hash something up using the remap property of a model to affect the hud graphics instead of the model.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 09-08-2011 04:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't know about the HUD, but you can remap shaders on models in Q3 and Q3Map2 with the _remap entity key/value.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-08-2011 11:24 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not in the hud I'm afraid. But it wouldn't be hugely difficult to have the level designer be able to override the objectives screen with a custom image (most likely through a worldspawn key).

Noruen, I like that objectives screen you made. If you could make a final version for it I'll include it in the next release :)

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 09-09-2011 06:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Not in the hud I'm afraid. But it wouldn't be hugely difficult to have the level designer be able to override the objectives screen with a custom image (most likely through a worldspawn key)

but if a custom texture was used as the overlay, how would the text alignment work out?

P.S. I'm making a objective overlay just in case custom overlays are implemented. any suggestions on how I can improve this?

Attachments:
overlay.jpg
overlay.jpg [ 29.04 KB | Viewed 560 times ]

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-10-2011 02:51 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, when I mentioned a custom texture, I actually meant just a retexture of the original overlay, which means that the text that's drawn on top remains the same size and in the same positions as the original. Sure, I could allow for keys to position the elements in the HUD, but I think that would get a bit fiddly and not preferable right now.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 09-10-2011 10:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh. i guess I'll have to start over then. :dork:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-10-2011 10:48 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well if you can come up with an elegant solution for all the positioning and stuff like word wrapping then I'd be happy to implement it.

Right now all I can think of is that the level designer will have to specify no less than 10 variables (top and left positions for all four bits of information on the screen and per-line character counts for the primary and secondary objectives. It just seems a bit awkward to me. But if people are happy with that then sure, I could do that.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 09-11-2011 08:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Using the Team Arena Scripted HUD in Vanilla Quake 3

Enable the scripted HUD/Menu code in the cgame project and allow the level designer the ability to set the HUD file from the worldspawn. With the scripted HUD enabled, this is controlled by the cgame using the cg_hudFiles cvar. Alternatively you could automatically try to load a HUD file based on the name of the level and fall back to the default HUD.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-11-2011 09:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

EntityPlus should not be a TC mod. It should maintain as much vq3 standards as possible.

I don't need a new HUD. I'd go play another game if I wanted a new HUD. Or play a TC mod.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 09-12-2011 02:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It needs a new hud. Even if its the stock Quake 3 one, remade in 16:9. It still needs a new hud.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-15-2011 11:59 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Noruen wrote:
Ok, what about this?

I've put it in and it looks pretty sweet.
If it's possible to make some changes, I have two requests:

First, could you put the texts for Deaths and Score in the same font as Primary and Secondary in there as well? I like how it looks and it makes it more consistent.

The second request is if you could make the areas that hold the primary and secondary objective texts just a few pixels wider. Right now it's 474 pixels wide, which means that it can fit 59.25 characters (the characters are 8 pixels wide). It would be nice if the area could be 480 pixels wide (preferably 488 so that I've got 4 pixels margin on both sides).

Are these things possible?

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 09-16-2011 01:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser, create a template texture, then we can just follow those rules. Seems simpler.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-16-2011 02:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Would it be these?

pak0.pak:
menu/objectives/overlay.tga (displays on screen when TAB is pressed)
menu/objectives/updated.tga (displays on screen when obective is completed)

(attached .zip)

Attachments:
menu.zip [7.42 KB]
Downloaded 476 times

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-17-2011 07:39 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There's a real good chance that the final layout of the objectives overlay will change, so the current overlay isn't a trustworthy example.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 09-17-2011 03:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I just played beta 1, it's pretty damn sweet! I got a real nostalgic quake1/2 feeling from it - except better because it's quake3!

It's funny because I was working on a Q3 multiplayer mod at the end of 2010 beginning of 2011, then put it down for half a year and got back to it a few weeks ago -and right during that break is when this Entity Plus project came out of nowhere :p It's nice to know other people are actively modding Q3.

I'm not sure how you're planning to handle Save games, or if you're just not having them and instead if you die you just spawn at the start of the map? If you do have saves, it would be nice if it would auto-save after you achieve certain things.

And if you're planning to never have saving, then I think you should have progressive spawn points in the map, so if you beat half a map and died you would spawn at a forward checkpoint instead of way back at the spawn. Now that entity plus has no multiplayer, does that mean it has no co-op? I think you should consider supporting co-op because one of the great things about doom and quake was co-op.

Another thought, I think it would be cool if the "new objective" icon stayed on screen until you hit tab to view it (and, in future when you have a fancy new hud, make the icon that stays up be fairly subtle)

Also, it would be nice if the enemy bots would walk around until they see you for the first time, and when they see you they could do a taunt or something (like quake2).

Looking forward to this mod!

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 09-19-2011 04:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

bludshot wrote:
And if you're planning to never have saving, then I think you should have progressive spawn points in the map, so if you beat half a map and died you would spawn at a forward checkpoint instead of way back at the spawn.

this is already possible, spawn points can be triggered on/off, when the player dies, he spawns at the nearest spawn point. this system can be used to have progressive spawn points. (deactivate the first one while activating the second one, deactivate the second one while activating the third one. and so on.)

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-19-2011 06:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GtkRadiant wrote:
bludshot wrote:
And if you're planning to never have saving, then I think you should have progressive spawn points in the map, so if you beat half a map and died you would spawn at a forward checkpoint instead of way back at the spawn.

this is already possible, spawn points can be triggered on/off, when the player dies, he spawns at the nearest spawn point. this system can be used to have progressive spawn points. (deactivate the first one while activating the second one, deactivate the second one while activating the third one. and so on.)

By triggering on/off, are you referring to the method of using the "count" key on the info_player_start entity? This is the only way I can think of, and it's kind of strange because you can only set a count or no count(which turns out to be unlimited, actually). You can't set a count of 0 to turn it off because 0 actually means unlimited.

How are you triggering it off? If 0 means unlimited, and anything but 0 means a count? There is no "-1" option or something.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-19-2011 11:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Point a trigger_multiple towards an info_player_start entity and do the maths

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-19-2011 12:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Point a trigger_multiple towards an info_player_start entity and do the maths

Ahh, I was about to say "why would i do that if i don't know what it does.", but I double checked the entity info again and I see you got it hidden away in the NOTES area, rather having a "targetname" key be present and have the description be there instead of in the NOTES area.

quote:
Quote:
NOTES --------
Targetting an info_player_start spawnpoint with a trigger will enable or disable the spawnpoint. Spawnpoints are by default enabled unless the DISABLED spawnflag is set. Note that a spawnpoint that is disabled because it reached its [count] number of spawns is not enabled by triggering it.

Or divide it up more so that the targetname description only talks about enable/disable, and then says "See NOTES below", and NOTES would continue talking about spawnflags, etc.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.