Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        [MAP] KREP1: Carmack Fortress | Quake 3 + EntityPlus

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: [MAP] KREP1: Carmack Fortress | Quake 3 + EntityPlus

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 10-08-2011 08:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Title: Carmack Fortress
File: krep1.pk3
Type: EP (EntityPlus for Quake3)
Version: 1.1 FINAL

Requirements:
- Quake3
- EntityPlus (6.2mb)
- krep1.zip (29.1mb) UPDATED

Screenshots:
(below)

Videos:
(below)

Description:
My gift to you. Over 140 hours of work--and believe me, at
the 80 hour mark I was thinking whether to continue or not;
I had stopped a few times. But, each time someone spoke
about EntityPlus and looking for maps--it motivated me to
continue and finish this once and for all. So, even though
I made this for myself--I've partially made it for you as
well. So, enjoy.

This map was all about the scripting.

When I saw some of the entities that EntityPlus was adding,
I immediately came up with ideas of what I could do with
those entities. Many ideas came from other games as well,
such as: MM2, and Z64.

For example, in MM2 I liked the idea of facing off against
a boss in a trapped room with music. Also, the idea of
acquiring/equipping the new weapon the boss had. In Z64,
I liked the idea of the camera cutscenes when you activate
a button because the camera cutscene would show you what
happened--what door opened, where door opened, etc.

There are four secrets altogether, in this campaign.

I dare you to complete this campaign with 0 deaths,
or complete it on hard.

Screenshots:

Videos:
SPOILER ALERT
These videos contain playback of the whole adventure from start to end.
- Stage 1 of 3: youtube.com/watch?v=lRW3XKfTnHI (REMOVED)
- Stage 2 of 3: youtube.com/watch?v=yHUXUxyQAsY (REMOVED)
- Stage 3 of 3: youtube.com/watch?v=Ru65NmPGeFA (REMOVED)

Conclusion:
My goal was to script an adventure that you would enjoy. I did a few things to ensure that you would enjoy this adventure:
- sounds
- music
- cut scenes
- voice acting
- UI (yes, I am forcing you to play with drawGun, fov 90, and bobbing. I wanted you to remember how cool the experience used to be when these settings are enabled and configured correctly.)

Last edited by deqer on 10-28-2021 03:36 AM, edited 8 times in total.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 10-08-2011 10:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Holy shit, I thought that was Quake 2 -- in a good way OFC.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-08-2011 11:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Exciting stuff man. I'm downloading it now. Gotta find a free moment to play it though.

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 10-08-2011 12:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Can't wait to play it. I'm not home right now, but as soon as I am this is definitely the first thing I'm going to do.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 10-08-2011 01:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Played a bit of it. One thing I noticed is that after you defeat Phobos and Ranger and you unlock that big door with the lift, you can carefully drop down to the mega above a trigger_hurt floor. If you miss, you die, and your backpack stays in place. This means you lose everything for missing the jump. While the idea of a deadly floor is cool, I think there is way too big of a punishment in my opinion. A nodrop brush and an info_backpack would allow it to spawn in a safe place and therefore you can retrieve everything. You still lose score (punishment) but you won`t lose what you got so far. I ended up quitting at this point because of this.

Also, I think the Anarki, Phobos, and Ranger fights could greatly benefit from cover. They are extremely accurate and you really have no defense besides strafing, but sooner or later they catch up to you. Obstacles would help add some flavor to the plain-ish arenas and allow cover while still providing a good challenge. Right now they are not really challenging - just annoying and frustrating. Grunt and Biker are fine as you can dodge their projectiles with some skill, so those weren't too bad - but against the other three some cover could be a great help.

Overall, looks pretty good. Might get back to it at some point in the future, though I would be greatly inclined to return once the nodrop and info_backpack entities are implemented, so I don`t have to start all over.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-08-2011 02:26 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh man oh man, what a blast. I've played this thing from start to end with a big smile on my face. The voice over sounds good! Amazing what the music does for it as well. Love the weapon pickup sound effects too.

Only gripe I have is that the Phobos fight seems disproportionally hard. The plasma gun is such a powerful weapon and he appears to be dead accurate with it (I played at the medium skill level). It's also hard to hit him or find proper cover because he teleports so fast. I like the setup in that you basically can find cover by standing under him, but then you can't shoot him. Maybe you can give him a little less health or if you can make him teleport less fast, then that'd be good as well. Xaero and Visor are tough as well due to their large amounts of health. They were tougher than "Dr. Carmack" himself. So I'd make them slightly easier with a wee bit less health and give Dr. Carmack a little more health.

As for those grates that don't break: Try to duplicate those grating brushes twice. Give one copy the weaponclip shader and one copy the playerclip shader. Now make the func_breakable out of all three brushes. Now players can't move nor shoot through it and shots should destroy the gratings.

Also, after each bot fight there was a target_speaker that played some sort of victory music. This music gets cut off by the cutscene if you push the button really fast after killing the bot. You can solve this by either giving those target_speakers the GLOBAL spawnflag but if this doesn't help (or they're already set to GLOBAL) then try creating a copy of each of those target_speakers and position those copies in the locations where the cutscene camera's are. What I suspect that might happen is that due to visibility calculations, the target_speaker is culled from the client's entity data and thus the sound for the target_speaker is no longer played.

Well, now that you've set the bar, I really need to finish up my own map :D

edit:
You also mentioned something about an "ending info_player_start is not used for Ending scoreboard camera view". You need to use an info_player_intermission entity for this.

edit2:
Two last things: First, there's a typo in one of the first subtitles where it says "emenies" instead of "enemies". Second, I noticed the secrets count not being displayed properly. This seems to be a bug in EntityPlus which I'll attempt to fix for the next release.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 10-08-2011 03:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

don't suppose someone would mind putting a video up of a playthrough on youtube? i don't have q3 installed :)

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 10-08-2011 03:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just played it, got to the carmak bot, didn't had any of the weapons left in my inventory for the last fight, lost it all in the pit just before the fight, the backpack didn't respawn on the floor, I think it respawn in the pit itself. Really tough to fight a bot with the BFG when you only got the mg and the gauntlet.

Very impressive work, I really had the feeling of playing quake 2 all along. No other game has ever gave me that feeling so close.

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 10-09-2011 02:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dude, that's cool. Voice acting, sound effects and music were really good. What was said about the fighting arenas is correct: gameplay would benefit from more cover, and the carmack bot (or let's say his BFG) were quite annoying. If the last arena was designed in a way he can't spawnfrag you or simply follow you around this much there'd be more of a real challenge instead of this repetitive dying--MG-SPAM--dying procedure.

One minor issue I found was the "Door is locked" message of the first door with the glass roof. When the roof is broken and the door is opened from inside, the message still appears.

Keep up the E+ editing! This definitely motivated me to make an E+ map myself.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 10-09-2011 09:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks for all your comments, everyone.

wattro wrote:
don't suppose someone would mind putting a video up of a playthrough on youtube? i don't have q3 installed :)

SPOILER ALERT
These videos contain playback of the whole adventure from start to end.

Here you go:
Stage 1 of 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRW3XKfTnHI
Stage 2 of 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHUXUxyQAsY
Stage 3 of 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru65NmPGeFA

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 10-09-2011 09:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wow. Loved it.
Took 10 minutes to figure out how to get the map to work because of the ep zip file but once i got it working i was having a blast.
The benchmark for ep maps to come.
Wants to quit job so i can make a map but need food and ipad.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 10-09-2011 10:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Got to the end on Hard. But I died a lot, hehe.

Pretty good effort overall I must say. But again, I think adding more cover would be absolutely wonderful while still keeping the challenge. This became especially apparent on the fight against "Carmack". Don`t get me wrong, I enjoy some tough boss fights - but this one was more annoying than challenging. Seems like you die every other second. Before I even reach my backpack I`m already dead. Besides just adding some walls or thick columns, etc. I think teleporters could do a world of wonders. Plus the bots could take advantage of it as well, and it`d make for more interesting battles.

And I heard dghost mention that the fog pit just before the boss also causes the backpack to spawn in the pit rather than in a safe place. Luckily this did not happen to me, but I think this needs attention badly. A lot of people will get to this point, feeling confident, then all of a sudden they fall in the pit, and guess what, they don`t get their backpack. Then they throw their keyboards. Nodrop and info_backpack entities could help solve this issue. (same goes for Mega Health jump across the conveyor)

BTW, I noticed that when you get off the ladder to the last level, I got stuck crouching for the next 10 seconds or so, then I resumed to normal walking / running. I suspect this is just a bug with the mod itself (ladderclip) and not the actual level, so don`t worry about it too much.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-11-2011 03:45 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I watched the gameplay videos. Had no idea the pillar section at the end with the red keycard was so simple. I fell to my death quite a few times trying to time my jumps right :olo:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-11-2011 05:05 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

deqer wrote:
- ending scoreboard secret count is inaccurate across campaign.

I've fixed this for the upcoming release of EntityPlus.
I want to run a few other tests regarding preserving data across map changes because I'm not sure if everything works as it should be. I'm actually thinking of releasing a v1.0.2 to fix any such issues. Need to look into it some more though.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 10-11-2011 07:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What's interesting is that, for me, dying in the pit before the boss consistently causes Quake 3 to crash with a "Recursive Error" and this message: "Server Shutdown (Server fatal crashed: VM_Free(qagame) on running vm)"

Here's the chunk of the console where it crashes:

Code:
----- Server Shutdown (Signal caught) -----
==== ShutdownGame ====
AAS shutdown.
Closed log botlib.log
----- Server Shutdown (Server fatal crashed: VM_Free(qagame) on running vm) -----
==== ShutdownGame ====
^1Error: BotLibShutdown: bot library used before being setup

Running latest IOQuake3 binaries. Compiled the latest revision of EntityPlus as DLL files rather than VM

EDIT: Slightly related, if you /devmap straight in to any EntityPlus map most of the mod just fails to work. The old scoreboard shows instead of the objective board when tab is pressed, and the target_logic doesn't seem to properly fire off. I haven't looked in to it too much but those are the two most memorable things that I've noticed. Everything works fine if you launch the map from the New Game menu.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-11-2011 11:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Silicone_Milk, you must set g_gametype to 8.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 10-11-2011 12:00 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Gametype is set to 8. I launch ioquake3 with a batch file that loads the dlls and sets gametype to 8 automatically.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-11-2011 11:23 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I haven't tested anything under ioQuake and the source is based on the 1.32 sourcecode, not that which comes with ioQuake. Are ioQuake and 1.32 supposed to be fully compatible?
It really sounds as if the mod isn't loaded properly or the game type isn't set to 8.

edit:
I've just tried with ioQuake and it appears to work fine.
Just to be sure, have you checked the following things:

1 - At this point I think you forgot to set the vm_ui, vm_game and vm_cgame cvars to "0" in your q3config.cfg. If they're still set to "2", it will only load qvm files and in your case, the only qvm files available are those in baseq3, so you're probably just running a baseq3 game then.
2 - If that's not the case, really make sure you've got the mod loaded correctly. If you go to the main menu, do you see the special entityplus menu or the plain old Q3 main menu?
3 - If you have the mod loaded, try setting g_gametype to 8 through the console before loading the map.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 10-12-2011 04:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tried quickly with ioq3 on my side, it crashed, work fine with q3a - but my ioq3 installation might be borked. ioq3 should be fully compatible with quake3 1.32b and up (1.32c) if I remember correctly.

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 10-12-2011 05:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The last boss on nightmare, jesus christ. Completely open and with a BFG. You're dead in like 1.5 seconds.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 10-12-2011 06:41 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
I haven't tested anything under ioQuake and the source is based on the 1.32 sourcecode, not that which comes with ioQuake. Are ioQuake and 1.32 supposed to be fully compatible?
It really sounds as if the mod isn't loaded properly or the game type isn't set to 8.

edit:
I've just tried with ioQuake and it appears to work fine.
Just to be sure, have you checked the following things:

1 - At this point I think you forgot to set the vm_ui, vm_game and vm_cgame cvars to "0" in your q3config.cfg. If they're still set to "2", it will only load qvm files and in your case, the only qvm files available are those in baseq3, so you're probably just running a baseq3 game then.
2 - If that's not the case, really make sure you've got the mod loaded correctly. If you go to the main menu, do you see the special entityplus menu or the plain old Q3 main menu?
3 - If you have the mod loaded, try setting g_gametype to 8 through the console before loading the map.

1.) vm_ui, vm_game, vm_cgame are set to 0 in the batch file when I launch ioquake3.
2.) The mod is loaded correctly. The special menu displays and everything. If I launch a level from the New Game section of the EntityPlus menu everything is fine. It's only when I'm on the EntityPlus menu and /devmap in to a level that things get weird.
3.) g_gametype is already 8 but I can try setting it again.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-06-2011 09:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

v1.1 FINAL is complete:

Bug fixes:
- fixed missing trigger_death(sound) for stages 2 and 3 of campaign.
- fixed missing walls for rooms 4 and 5.
- fixed missing gravity for ending boss.
- fixed missing info_player_intermission.
- removed info_player_start from Carmack's room.
- glass doors now open 50% slower.
- nodrop brush now thicker for locked elevator room.
- doubled Carmack's health, as intended.
- fixed vents to be breakable.
- fixed objectives.
- fixed ammo count for items at the end.

Changes:
- added walls to rooms 1 and 2.
- reduced Carmack's skill by 1.
- added more health and armor(campaign points) to Carmack's room.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-06-2011 03:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This map is pretty badass, and I made an account here just to say that. And this:

There were problems, which is inevitable. There were a couple typos/inconsistencies in the opening cutscene thing. In the second or third line, it says "enenies", and in the next line or two, it doesn't say "own" (started up his own show). That's the only real flaw I found in the first playthrough, other than the stupidly hard Carmack at the end.

Something else that wasn't very well done, though, was the area where you fight anarki/biker/grunt. The first room I went in was the third one, killed biker, took his RL, then beat anarki and grunt with incredible ease (I'm not actually sure if it was grunt or someone else, but I think I got the point across). It would be better if all doors didn't open at once, but instead if the first one opened, then once you beat anarki, the second one opens, etc.

Then there was just a little annoyance that can't really be fixed, and that is that there were too many "teases" for exploring. There were paths that broke off, but were clipped off. It was annoying :(

Good work though, this really showcases some of the possibilities with E+. I want more :D

EDIT: I also tried with every engine I have (ioq3, iodfe, quake3, quake3e, dfengine 1.08/f, cnq3), and it worked fine in all of them, aside from cnq3, which is made specifically for CPMA and won't work well with any other mod.

EDIT2: I decided to play around with devmap a bit, and I noticed a couple things. First, you can easily get stuck in the elevator again (well.. you have to be trying to, but it's still possible). I don't know how E+ mapping works, but it seems like you could just make a player clip so you can't go back in once you've left, and it doesn't start going back down until you've completely passed through the clip. Simple enough, even I could probably do it.

However, when I did get stuck in the elevator, it went back down, and restarted all the cutscenes. If it's easier to leave it like this, then it doesn't matter much, but what does matter is that the subtitles for the first line play when you get to the bottom. Clearly a bug, since they don't appear when you play through normally. Some kind of delay should fix that. They also appeared as normal centerprint, which was really damn weird. I don't have any idea what caused that, if they're meant to behave any differently from the other subs, or what.

The same thing happens on the second elevator, except that if you glitch it from the top, you can run around the half-done level you were just on, because a lot of brushes/clips/entities were removed due to them not being necessary (the only reason the bottom part of the second level exists is because you can see it through the windows).

It would be cool if the modder changed it so that obs are disabled everywhere except on brushes with some sort of ob param, in case the mapper wants to use those for whatever reason :)

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-06-2011 11:44 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

deqer wrote:
v1.1 FINAL is complete:

:up:

Cool stuff mate.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-06-2011 11:44 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

KittenIgnition wrote:
It would be cool if the modder changed it so that obs are disabled everywhere except on brushes with some sort of ob param, in case the mapper wants to use those for whatever reason :)

obs?

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-07-2011 02:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Overbounces

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-07-2011 11:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bliccer wrote:
Overbounces

I guess I shouldn't assume everyone knows everything about defrag in a non-defrag community :P

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-07-2011 11:24 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well I know what overbounces are, just hadn't seen the shorthand "obs" notation for it.

I was thinking you suggested putting obsidian in the mod :eek:

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 11-13-2011 04:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wow! At last right game... You're really great, deqer, I really enjoyed it! Heh, I've been dead many times with Beginner mode. :olo:

Fjoggs wrote:
The last boss on nightmare, jesus christ. Completely open and with a BFG. You're dead in like 1.5 seconds.

It's Dr. Carmark, Klesk bot actually. He's the most improved, but you can done him...

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 11-13-2011 04:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks, I'm well aware of that. I never said I didn't kill him. :)

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 11-13-2011 05:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, I can't wait for next champaign :).

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 11-18-2011 09:45 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
deqer wrote:
- ending scoreboard secret count is inaccurate across campaign.

I've fixed this for the upcoming release of EntityPlus.
I want to run a few other tests regarding preserving data across map changes because I'm not sure if everything works as it should be. I'm actually thinking of releasing a v1.0.2 to fix any such issues. Need to look into it some more though.

Do you can add also saving function to game? It's for two things, when the game cannot be saved...

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 11-18-2011 09:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looks like we have a comedian over here!

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 11-22-2011 05:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nice! Very Q2-ish.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 12-20-2011 09:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

LvLworld is saying there is an error. :(

Quote:
Hello.

Just been play testing and recording demos for the videos and noticed that your release will crash with the message 'cvar_update: handle out of range' error.

Any idea what may be wrong? This is with EntityPlus 1.0.2, on the second map.

If you need any details or a demo, just ask.

-Tig

I did some googling, and it's not clear what the solution is, but there is indication that it's not the map itself.

Anyone?

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.