Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion
        Quake 3 Master Server?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Quake 3 Master Server?

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 02-01-2012 02:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There is also this one that will show you around 80 servers

188.72.250.61 master.quake3arena.com

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 02-01-2012 06:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yeah but what do servers need to add ?

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 02-01-2012 07:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What is going on with the server??
anyone know??

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 02-02-2012 07:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's dead, Jim. It appears to be down for good now.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 02-02-2012 05:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Servers: Add sv_master2 "master.cromctf.com" to the server config file.

Players: Start -> Run -> notepad C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts
Add the following line to the bottom of the hosts file: 216.86.155.165 master.quake3arena.com
Save and close

^misantropia^: Any reason why you think it is down for good this time?

Last edited by nexus024 on 03-25-2016 12:14 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 02-02-2012 06:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

CaptainHowdy wrote:
For me it's not that quake live is inferior, it's just that I don't want to watch an ad every time I try to connect to a server nor do I want to pay a monthly fee to skip ads. At the very least, if Quake 3 arena is down forever, id should provide Quake 3 users with a premium quake live account. Nonetheless it would make my week if the master server goes back up.

I like that idea, if the master server is down (temporarily or otherwise), then they should at least give us a few months of Quake Live premium as compensation.

It's really a shame the master server doesn't seem to be coming back. At least there are alternatives though, kind of a d-bag move on id's part, there wasn't any announcement or warning regarding the shutdown.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 02-02-2012 08:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, id Software did a pretty good job supporting a game for over a decade, not very many games have developers that devoted. The difference being is that Quake 3 is a fantastic game that still has players playing. Most other games deplete their player base after 2 or 3 years.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-02-2012 11:19 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yongwang wrote:
CaptainHowdy wrote:
For me it's not that quake live is inferior, it's just that I don't want to watch an ad every time I try to connect to a server nor do I want to pay a monthly fee to skip ads. At the very least, if Quake 3 arena is down forever, id should provide Quake 3 users with a premium quake live account. Nonetheless it would make my week if the master server goes back up.

I like that idea, if the master server is down (temporarily or otherwise), then they should at least give us a few months of Quake Live premium as compensation.

It's really a shame the master server doesn't seem to be coming back. At least there are alternatives though, kind of a d-bag move on id's part, there wasn't any announcement or warning regarding the shutdown.

Actually, no.
You can play Quake Live for free.

Ok, let me repeat that:

You can play Quake Live for free.

id Software is already giving you access to a pretty good alternative to Quake 3 Arena. Why do you feel that you are now suddenly entitled to Quake Live features that were never part of Quake 3 Arena in the first place? And that even pretty much ignores the fact that you can still play Quake 3 and you can still find new servers if you do a bit of config tweaking, use a 3rd party browser or just, oh shit, Google for IP's? Revolutionary idea, no?

Shit brahs, why do all of you feel like id Software owes you the world because you spend 50 bucks on a game of them 12 years ago?

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 02-03-2012 03:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

nexus024 wrote:

My little friend nmap tells me that master.quake3arena.com:27950 has been closed for some time now. In the past, the master server went down often but at least the port would still be open.

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 02-03-2012 07:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Shit brahs, why do all of you feel like id Software owes you the world because you spend 50 bucks on a game of them 12 years ago?

It's not like they gave us a warning and a few weeks later shut down empty servers for a dead game. They picked one of the most popular online games of all time that still had tons of players, and without warning pulled the plug. Not only that, they most likely pulled the plug solely to increase the popularity of Quake Live, which I agree is inferior to Quake 3 in almost every way.

I'm still glad I can play all of the classic Blizzard games on the original Battle.net (which is so much better than Battle.net 2.0) and Counter-Strike.

Anyone know if the Quake 1 & Quake 2 master servers still up?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-03-2012 09:40 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There are no q1 or q2 master servers, which reminds me, you youngsters all crying about no master server anymore. Back in the day, such a thing didnt even exist! And we got along fine. Pah!

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-03-2012 09:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh and lol @ QL being inferior. For starters, that does have a working master server :olo:

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 02-03-2012 10:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
There are no q1 or q2 master servers, which reminds me, you youngsters all crying about no master server anymore. Back in the day, such a thing didnt even exist! And we got along fine. Pah!

It's been a while, but I distinctly remember a server browser of some sort, at least for Q2?

Edit: Also, Quake Live doesn't allow 24/7 server hosting or custom levels/modifications.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 02-04-2012 04:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

nexus024 wrote:
Servers: Add sv_master2 "master.cromctf.com" to the server config file.

Players: Start -> Run -> notepad C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts
Add the following line to the bottom of the hosts file: 209.212.157.150 master.quake3arena.com
Save and close

Added this line first and seems that it only allows 1 of them , this one only shows 12 server
So it has to be 188.72.250.61 master.quake3arena.com as this is showing 80 servers

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 02-04-2012 05:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I just wanna play Quake3 by gawd!!!!! :cry:

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 02-04-2012 05:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quote:
I just wanna play Quake3 by gawd!!!!!

Brainsucker I have seen you on CROM many of times...visit http://www.cromctf.com for steps to get back to fragging!

Quote:
Added this line first and seems that it only allows 1 of them , this one only shows 12 server
So it has to be 188.72.250.61 master.quake3arena.com as this is showing 80 servers

Yes, but all 80 servers are excessiveplus servers, which is a garbage mod IMO.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 02-07-2012 01:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

All are garbage ? i think not !
Everyone has there own opinion , even if its blinkered
At least there are 80 servers with a great choice of different servers and gametypes
rather than the 12 that the other one is offering
Im only pointing out this to give other players the chance to see these servers in mutiplayer
A lot of players dislike Excessive plus now as it has it own anticheat built into it
To me its a great thing as it doesnt have the lag of PB , not 100% acc but catches most of them

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 02-11-2012 01:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi,

I've just set-up a new unofficial server master on "master.quake3.fr:27950"

You can use it for your servers and clients.

You can check master-server on http://web.quakelive.fr/cgi-bin/q3mon/q3mon-browser.pl

Here is the config I'm using for my servers
Code:
//seta sv_master1 "master3.idsoftware.com"
//seta sv_master2 "master.gamespy.com:27900"
//seta sv_master3 "master0.gamespy.com"
set sv_master1 "master.quake3.fr:27950"
set sv_master2 "master.ioquake3.org"
set sv_master3 "master.maverickservers.com:27950"
set sv_master4 "master.cromctf.com"

Best regards

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 02-11-2012 11:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

From the last page I would like to say that I too find it very unfair of ID Software to overlook the situation at hand, If they no longer want the responsibility of Q3A, They should sell the rights to it (rather cheap) to a company that can take over it, and yes this means taking us off 1.32c of which we have been on for the last 6 years.

When I use the MasterServer in my servers config, I get these IP addresses that connect and start leeching high-bandwidth off me, sending me over my monthly quota (which means over charge fees), Since it's a Windows based server it does not have IP Tables, so it can not be stopped, I'm using NetLimiter and other applications to block the addresses, but they keep coming under different IPs doing the same thing. I have to ring up my ISP and BUY a new IP Address for a few dollars, witch stuffs up my clients statistics on GameTracker and other sites alike as I need to keep changing IP.

I'm currently using Mavericks MasterServer, I would like to know about the other alternatives listed here, I personally would not go with CROM, as I've heard some bad stories about their servers, anything within the line on Australia, including, Japan, China, Indonesian area as well as New Zealand, it is pointless having a Franch master server for an Australian Game Server.

As people have already stated, even over here in Australia I've noticed a dramatic decrease in clients, I see CPMA still works though, but not default Q3, whitch is why I was rather famous, due to pure default servers that anyone that just got the game, could come in and play without the endless hassle of downloading mods and maps.

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 02-12-2012 07:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Puh-lease. You should change your nick to 'Whineful thinking'.

1) Q3A was released in 1999. Most games get EOL'd after 4, maybe 5 years. iD Software has gone well above and beyond the industry standards here.

2) 'leeching high-bandwidth off me' <- learn to configure your server

3) 'it is pointless having a Franch master server for an Australian Game Server' <- then set up your own master server, it's not rocket science

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-12-2012 01:23 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Spoiled kids these days :disgust:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-13-2012 01:41 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You kids should read this article: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012- ... ou-nothing

It's not about Quake 3 specifically, but it does go into the feeling of self-entitlement many gamers seem to have these days.

In case your 13 year old attention span can't handle an article of more than 140 characters, here's the gist of it: id Software owes you nothing.

no u
no u
PostPosted: 02-13-2012 10:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wishful Thinking! wrote:

When I use the MasterServer in my servers config, I get these IP addresses that connect and start leeching high-bandwidth off me, sending me over my monthly quota (which means over charge fees), Since it's a Windows based server it does not have IP Tables, so it can not be stopped, I'm using NetLimiter and other applications to block the addresses, but they keep coming under different IPs doing the same thing. I have to ring up my ISP and BUY a new IP Address for a few dollars, witch stuffs up my clients statistics on GameTracker and other sites alike as I need to keep changing IP.

What that sounds like to me is you have your server configured to allow .pk3 file downloading. if your server is running custom maps (pk3's) and a client joins who does not have that map pack your server will let them download it. That can use a lot of bandwidth.
To fix, add this line in your server config: seta cl_allowDownload "0"

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 02-13-2012 12:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
You kids should read this article: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012- ... ou-nothing

It's not about Quake 3 specifically, but it does go into the feeling of self-entitlement many gamers seem to have these days.

In case your 13 year old attention span can't handle an article of more than 140 characters, here's the gist of it: id Software owes you nothing.

i agree with your point (not sure how anyone couldn't, it's been a long time since the heyday of Q3 and iD have given away the source code and even provided a replacement game, for free) but not sure about that article. The 2 main examples offered are HL2 and Eve. Eve has always been marketed as a player-driven game. HL2 was marketed as if it were episodic content and was released with a branded DRM platform that didn't work very well to begin with, relying on the faith of its players to succeed - so they (unlike iD) kind of do owe them something, at least a little news.

granted, everyone knows what that news is (we're making a mostly new engine instead of just adding even more bells and whistles to the Q2 source code we bought, HL3 will be ready shortly after that), but just a piece of concept art would be enough to prevent some of their customers from moving to one of the many other popular PC gaming clients. it's not like they're running some sort of monopoly that has its customers by the balls.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-14-2012 06:49 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

To put things in perspective once more, here's Metal Gear Online being killed 4 years after release. That's the state of play these days kids. You can all thank id Software on your bare knees for keeping the master server alive for 12 years.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 02-14-2012 07:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That is too bad, but I cannot say it wasn't expected.

The 12 years I had with this game were awesome, I will remember them well. :)

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 02-15-2012 07:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
To put things in perspective once more, here's Metal Gear Online being killed 4 years after release. That's the state of play these days kids. You can all thank id Software on your bare knees for keeping the master server alive for 12 years.

While, it is unfortunate for MGO being shut down, at least fans of MGO were notified of the shut down, q3a fans woke up and the master server was dead with out any form of notice from id, and while playing q3a online is still an easy fix and id provides a free alternative, it still would've been nice to know that they were not going to support it any longer, possibly preparing fans for the shift to community-only master servers.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-15-2012 10:19 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes, there is a point a can agree with. It would've been good courtesy of id Software to do so.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 02-16-2012 03:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It is unfortunate that the id master server is down, but of course there are other master servers with Maverick's being the most notable, as mentioned earlier. Hopefully though, this doesn't spell the end for Quake III as we know it. Even though I have eased myself into UT3 (both gameplay and level design) a bit, I still admire the simplicity of the id tech 3 engine and the legacy it carried throughout the years. Hopefully John Carmack decides to create a Quake V someday, or that a team manages to bring a new Quake game with UDK or whatever. QL right now, while a pretty good game for the most part, is undeniably standing on trembling, bandaged legs - or leg, should I declare.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 02-16-2012 07:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

EmeraldTiger wrote:
Even though I have eased myself into UT3 (both gameplay and level design) a bit... new Quake game with UDK

Hey dood, I bought you a new hat!

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 02-16-2012 08:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

EmeraldTiger wrote:
...a team manages to bring a new Quake game with UDK..

You should have your mouth washed out with soap for that >:(

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 02-16-2012 09:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't mind if people disagree with me, (though it seems people are overreacting a bit over an opinion) but could you explain why it would be a bad idea? (Note that was a "wishful thinking" post, not meant to be serious) UDK is what most of the games industry uses nowadays, and is consistently updated. And while it has been associated with slow-paced games, I don't see why it would be impossible to mess around in UnrealScript and change some things to give it a fast-paced feel, etc. and whatnot. Unless these things somehow can't be changed - and if that's so, then I agree that it would be a bad idea, and I'd then wonder why people would put such stupid limitations in the first place.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 02-16-2012 10:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If that's your argument, why not just take id Tech 5 and modify that to give you a new version of Quake with all the intrinsic benefits that id Tech has always had for this kind of stuff. It would certainly be a lot less work.

Also, you're posting on a Quake 3 forum about porting it over to Unreal... that's blasphemy. It's a bit like saying, "Hey guys, lets add a start menu and BSoD to OS X!" or, "Instead of The Force being a life force that exists everywhere that a Jedi can tap into, lets try to make a scientific explanation about microbes living in the Jedi's bloodstream." BLASPHEMY!!!

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 02-20-2012 06:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I hope the master server comes back up. I'm pretty late to the quake III party, I bought the ID complete pack in December as I wanted to play the great games of the past. At least Qtracker works.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 03-01-2012 12:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hello peeps.

I logged in first time in two years, i see this forum is still up and running... Somewhat at least. It sucks the master server is down. BUT, as many already mentioned, qtracker works just fine. Moment ago i checked, it shows way over 100 servers online with few of them having some activity.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.