Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion
        Quake 3 server autodownload

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Quake 3 server autodownload

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 03-27-2012 11:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So at work we got a Q3 server we are trying to setup to play during lunch.

I have the dedicated server with a basic .cfg/.bat file that this site helps setup.

It is on 1.32

I have maps loaded onto the server, but when a client tries to connect it says the server doesn't allow autodownload.

What can I do to fix this? I have been searching now for the past 2 days and no luck.

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 03-27-2012 01:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

iirc you need to add "sv_allowdownloads 1" to your server cfg file, if you google that then it should at least point you in the right direction.

if all the folks playing are on the same network then it might be faster/easier to set up a share that they can copy the files from.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 03-28-2012 02:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

figured it out finally..

it's

set sv_autodownload 1 not sv_autodownloadS

Thanks.

I'm trying to do the auto download because some people that play aren't that computer savvy. This makes it mineless for them... Is there a way to increase the download rate?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-28-2012 04:23 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Unfortunately not. Quake 3 caps the download rate on purpose so that people downloading the maps aren't eating up all the bandwidth which would make the game laggy for active players.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 03-28-2012 05:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The autodownload from the native Quake3 binaries was never a good solution for downloading custom assets fast, in game. You might wanna take a look at ioquake3 for resolving that but it may ask for more setup and more time to install on the part of the users and the server itself.

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 03-28-2012 07:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

FATHERFORD wrote:
Is there a way to increase the download rate?

Sort of. Set sv_maxrate=1000 and sv_fps=40 or 50 on the server (should be fine for LAN play) and cl_maxpackets=125 and snaps=<whatever sv_fps is> on the clients. It still won't be super fast but at least it'll be a lot faster than the defaults.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 08-29-2012 05:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'll remember to log in next time, before replying. I'll type it again, lol...

I think their is a redirect command for Quake 3 (or IOQuake 3), so that when you connect to a server with custom content, while on "Awaiting Gamestate" you will be downloading content off-site, not from the server you're connecting to, I use this feature for my Unreal Tournament 3 service, as it has the same issue to where people won't get anymore than 15KB/sec, and being a much newer game (2007), the maps are 30 to 80MB each, and that can take awhile at thos speeds. For Quake 3 I think it was: sv_DLURL but I don't think it works, as I have never had any success with it, but mind you though, I was trying to get it to use my FTP server as it's redirect source.

EDIT:

Well, After a lot of testing, I'm not sure about anyone else, (please comment otherwise), But I personally have not had any luck with the IDQ3 "sv_dlURL" setting for your server config. I have set it correctly, and it has not worked, The only way it will work is if your client is IOQ3, so now to all my clients I stress that it's highly recommended to use IOQ3, so they don't get stuck on slow speeds.

But in my opinion, everyone that runs Q3 servers should be using IOQ3 for their base platform anyway, though the sad fact the IOQ3 project is no longer existent (so I read)

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 01-16-2017 12:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've set my server to auto download but when friends try to connect it just tells them the maps missing it won't download it. Any tips?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 01-19-2017 04:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

is it enabled on the client as well?

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 03-18-2017 07:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

autodownload will only function if the server operates as a pure server.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.